Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need suggestions for new studio monitors

I need to replace my studio monitors and wanted to get the communities opinions and suggestions before I make my purchase. I am interested in seeing what are the best options for the under $300 category are and also the under $500 category are. Thankyou for your help crew

Comments

• I'm looking myself and was disappointed that there's no Under $200 category.
    In the Under $300 category, the KRK Rokit 5 seems to be the speaker of choice.

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-studio-monitors/

• edited March 2018

the JBL LSR305 have quite some reputation in the low budget segment.
    For studio grade I'd rather start with Neumann KH120 or similiar, but only if (!) your room has acoustic treatment - otherwise it's a waste of cash.

• edited March 2018

I have had my KRK Rokit 5's for 6 years now and have not had any issues.

• edited March 2018

I just got the jbl 308 monitors and they sound awesome 250 a piece. There are 2 steps below those 200, and 150 priced

• @Telefunky said:
    the JBL LSR305 have quite some reputation in the low budget segment.

I have these and love them to death. Considered the 308's, too, but didn't have enough room or structural integrity in the studio...

• @cuscolima said:
    May I suggest the kh-80 dsp

http://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en/kh-80

No, you may not suggest $1100 speakers for a Studio Monitors Under $300 thread.

• Mmmh...you don’t necessary need a pair

• I have the LSR305 mk2s and have been very happy with them. Adam also just released their T5Vs ($400 pair) and T7Vs ($500 pair) - I've not heard them, but Adam gets rave reviews for their more expensive units.

• @cuscolima said:
    Mmmh...you don’t necessary need a pair

They guy said he wants to spend $300.

• By coincidence my jbl lsr 305s arrived today, they sound incredible, highly reccomended!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@cuscolima said:

And also the $500...I think my proposal is an acceptable alternative and deserves at least to be discussed

• If you have more than a tiny desk, accept no monitors under 8". I've had nothing but problems mixing on small monitors, with the mix translating. In particular, judging bass. Even with expensive, small monitors. Even when people swear the bass is just as good.

I've had good results with the 8" monitors from KRK, Event, and even M-Audio. I have had bad results with the 5" monitors from those same brands.

If you opt to get them used (i would!) check them like a hawk. Listen really close for weird buzzes, rattles, and overtones. Send a mono signal to both of them and make sure they sound identical.

• edited March 2018

So far this is the deal I’m most intrigued by...

I like the idea of eventually upgrading and purchasing the additional LSR10s

• edited March 2018

The KRKs are bass heavy. The JBLs are pretty cool. The HS5s carry little to no low end. I spent about $300 for my pair of Samson Resolv SE 6 since I needed a 6 inch woofer or bigger so I can hear my bass.
    In the $500 I think the Yamaha HS7s would probably be best

• @cuscolima said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@cuscolima said:

And also the $500...I think my proposal is an acceptable alternative and deserves at least to be discussed

I think he’s quoting a price for the pair.

• Yeah unfortunately the MAX I can spend total is 600, and that would have to include a pair. Ideally I’d like to keep it under 500 though

• you should keep one important fact in mind:
    a monitor is much less about 'sounds good' than about getting a mix sound right on ANY playback system - it's not for our pleasure, but for our listeners'.
    Some monitors can do both, but a lot of the cheapos just sound pleasing - or rather: too pleasing. Everything's nice, but during a mix you WANT to detect flaws - sometimes it HAS to sound shitty ;)

• Add me in to the jbl 305 club. Got a pair for $200 around Black Friday last year. Hard to go wrong with them.

• Spend $200 on monitors and the remaining $300 in your budget on acoustic treatment for your room. Or go $100 / monitors $400 / room treatment. You get the gist. The room is substantially more important than the speaker.

• What do you suggest for room treatments Brice? I’m interested to know. I know it is important, but haven’t taken the next step. I am pretty creative and love recycling, perhaps you know of a way to make a room treatment instead of purchasing a professional one. That way I can still go with the better speakers ...

• @brice said:
    Spend $200 on monitors and the remaining $300 in your budget on acoustic treatment for your room. Or go $100 / monitors $400 / room treatment. You get the gist. The room is substantially more important than the speaker.

sigh... a room, one can dream

• @stuck80s said:
    What do you suggest for room treatments Brice? I’m interested to know. I know it is important, but haven’t taken the next step. I am pretty creative and love recycling, perhaps you know of a way to make a room treatment instead of purchasing a professional one. That way I can still go with the better speakers ...

There are many variables at play, but a great place to start is with bass traps and panels to tame reflections nearest your speakers. Both of which can be easily made. There are many YouTube videos describing how to go about it, should you choose that route.

• @AudioGus said:

@brice said:
    Spend $200 on monitors and the remaining $300 in your budget on acoustic treatment for your room. Or go $100 / monitors $400 / room treatment. You get the gist. The room is substantially more important than the speaker.

sigh... a room, one can dream

Hah, yes. I’m using that term very loosely. Basically 4 walls I suppose. Or in my case, 3 walls and a rather confused surface.

• I would advise getting something that has the bass port on the front. That alone can help to get rid of potential problems in the low end.

I love my Tannoy Reveal monitors, these are seriously underrated in my opinion :)

• After reading Bruce’s comment about the room treatment I’m spending less on the monitors and the difference on the room treatment.

Any opinions on these monoprice monitors and room treatments in the pictures?

They cost only 200$ a pair and after reading all the reviews I’m definable tempted.

Thankyou guys for the help in this matter 🔊

• Can't say...would be interested to know how good they are. That said and with all due respect to @brice , I fear you could be making a mistake discounting the speakers too much. All speakers are not created equal and while the room is definitely important, that doesn't make the speakers irrelevant. If those LSR308's are still on that sale, I'd definitely spend the extra money on those. (On the other hand, those reviews for the Monoprice monitors are pretty compelling.) By all means, invest some of that money in room treatment, but if you have the option I would strongly recommend going somewhere and listening to different speaker options side by side and you will see what I mean. Keep in mind that flat is good when it comes to mixing and mastering, but that doesn't always equal your subjective "best" either... The JBL's are pretty flat--arguably outdone by a few others like Yamaha HS8--but also make listening enjoyable for me which is subjective but I feel it's still an important factor.

Dammit, I'm almost tempted to buy a set of those Monoprice things now...

• there are a lot of so called monitors that look good, but fail in functional sound.
    The 12 element 'acoustic thing' is definitely crap - foam doesn't work properly.
    Basotect is the most commonly used stuff for traps/absorbers and could even be mounted to a wooden frame tied to cheapo mobile wardrobes so you can easily move it around.
    Book shelfs are good diffusors if filled randomly.
    A personal favourite are Tatami floor elements mounted vertically - quite heavy, but very effective imh experience. Not cheap, roughly similiar to the price of Basotect.

• I’ve had the Monoprice 8-inch monitors for a few years now and really like them. They also bring a smile to my face each time I remember how much I paid for them.

• @orand said:
    I’ve had the Monoprice 8-inch monitors for a few years now and really like them. They also bring a smile to my face each time I remember how much I paid for them.

How is the bass response on those? I've been notice they don't have ports like many other brands, like the krk, event, jbl. The ports make a big difference in sound. Not to discount them, the NS-10's are a sealed design, and trusted in studios around the world as a B set of monitors.