Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning is a fantastic Sequencer Just In Case You Were Wondering

I’ve often looked at Patterning as just a great Drum Machine. But today everything changes. After being on this “learn to play” music kick for a couple years the whole world of Midi and Channels is making sense...and well, there’s a whole lot of goodness in Patterning.

For one thing you can route the individual drum pads to individual Midi Channels and can adjust the per step pitch of notes with Probability.

I hope to record a video soon, but in the meantime here are a couple screenshots to expose the set up via Audiobus

Mmmmm....wonderfully circular patterns...

Routing everything up in Audiobus3 and locking my notes to Dorian Scale with 4 instances of Zeeon

Routing Midi to the appropriate channels from Patterning to AB

And finally, enabling the ability to modify per Step Pitch for harmonious playback of notes :)

Comments

• I wanted to try this but I guess never bothered. I'll be waiting for the video!

• @nothumanatall said:
    I wanted to try this but I guess never bothered. I'll be waiting for the video!

Yeah...it was something I wanted to be able to do...but for some reason today it just clicked. Once you see it, you will instantly fall in love with the workflow...it's freaking sweet.

What I love right now, is that I can choose whether or not to map the Patterning internal drums to the Sequence of notes in AB and this just adds a lot of nice layering to the composition....

• @echoopera Dude, you are dope. You make great sounding tracks, and are generous with the knowledge as well. Respect. B)

• @CracklePot said:
    @echoopera Dude, you are dope. You make great sounding tracks, and are generous with the knowledge as well. Respect. B)

Hahah...many thanks...well, it's like my grandma always said..."We're all on this spaceship together for a while, so we might as well help each other along the way with the things we're passionate about..."

<3 o:)

• edited March 2018

@echoopera

Your presentation is looking very good, beautiful,
    Well done, will try
    Thx

• Thanks for all the encouragement everyone...Here's a quick overview...I'll do a more thorough one soon...but hopefully this one clicks with a few of you who are itching to get on this workflow. o:)

https://youtu.be/DR2ECQ-Mlls

• Wonderful!

• Yeah, I’ve used Patterning as my main sequencer for a while now. The only other thing I’ll pull out now is Quantum because I like to feel like Klaus Schulze.

• Wouldn't it be easier to use a sequencer designed for pitched notes, and cut out the AB and Midiflow middlemen?

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Wouldn't it be easier to use a sequencer designed for pitched notes, and cut out the AB and Midiflow middlemen?

That’s what I was thinking. It’s cool you can do this but an app like Quantum seems far more powerful and simple to set up?

@echoopera love your music by the way.

• Whoah it never occured to me to touch that midi icon. I thought it was just eye candy. Made my day @echoopera

• Thanks everyone.

The reason i like Patterning is because the UI is so beautiful and fun to use and since i finally figured out the Course Tuning function to play melodically it becomes even more enjoyable to use.

Sure you can use Quantumn for all of this...which i have...but i can not stand the UI. It gives me hives every time i use it and breaks up my zen state of mind i try to get into when noodling and making my noise.

Anyhoo...since Patterning is a fantastic Drum Machine...it’s a super cool bonus to realize that it’s a pretty good melodic sequencer with Probability functions to boot.

I’m off the rest of the week so i hope to do a proper vid to highlight the joys i find in using it.

Cheers!!!

• @echoopera said:
    Thanks everyone.

The reason i like Patterning is because the UI is so beautiful and fun to use and since i finally figured out the Course Tuning function to play melodically it becomes even more enjoyable to use.

Sure you can use Quantumn for all of this...which i have...but i can not stand the UI. It gives me hives every time i use it and breaks up my zen state of mind i try to get into when noodling and making my noise.

Anyhoo...since Patterning is a fantastic Drum Machine...it’s a super cool bonus to realize that it’s a pretty good melodic sequencer with Probability functions to boot.

I’m off the rest of the week so i hope to do a proper vid to highlight the joys i find in using it.

Cheers!!!

Yeah these guys do make interesting apps with great (for the most part) attention to detail. I'm hoping the rumoured Patterning 2 takes it up to 16 at the least or possibly 64 parts. The UI environment is nice to be in, but 8 parts is just a little limiting/gimmicky.

• Another fun nonstandard use of Patterning I mentioned in another thread: using it as a drawable MIDI LFO. Crank it up to the maximum number of steps, set it to reverse at the end to double the total length, increase the tempo, and hook it up to a CC on a filter or whatever. Now go nuts redrawing and tweaking the LFO wave in real-time.

• @orand said:
    Another fun nonstandard use of Patterning I mentioned in another thread: using it as a drawable MIDI LFO. Crank it up to the maximum number of steps, set it to reverse at the end to double the total length, increase the tempo, and hook it up to a CC on a filter or whatever. Now go nuts redrawing and tweaking the LFO wave in real-time.

Oh wow, that is very clever. Hadn't thought about that one, so thanks for sharing!

• @orand said:
    Another fun nonstandard use of Patterning I mentioned in another thread: using it as a drawable MIDI LFO. Crank it up to the maximum number of steps, set it to reverse at the end to double the total length, increase the tempo, and hook it up to a CC on a filter or whatever. Now go nuts redrawing and tweaking the LFO wave in real-time.

Oooh super sweet.

• This is the beauty with iOS and downsides. You never have the time to learn a app enough before you buy another one. And another one. So you seldom reach pro level on any app.

• Great stuff. I keep wanting to use patterning more

• edited March 2018

@marcuspresident said:
    This is the beauty with iOS and downsides. You never have the time to learn a app enough before you buy another one. And another one. So you seldom reach pro level on any app.

This seems to be more of an end user issue than an iOS issue. Increasingly, there are more quality apps with a wide variety of capabilities which a focused user can harness to improve the quality of their music whereas a user who doesn’t bother to learn and apply what they’ve learned will have difficulty making significant progress.

• edited March 2018

Yeah I have been touting Patterning as a BM3 alternative for a minute

Genius app

Also fun

That is key

• ALot of setting and apps for a relatively simple thing, no?

• Has anyone succeeded in sequencing Beathawk from patterning? I love the acoustic drum pack in Beathawk and would like to create drumtrscks with the help of Patterning, but I can’t seem to set both apps up properly.

• Here’s the quick overview with VoiceOver

• Thanks so much for doing this. Really looking forward to taking a closer look. Agree with you about the UI making the difference...

• Yep. I get it too. Nice work.

• Cool. Glad it works. The power of this app is hidden in those settings. Wish i had understood this earlier but hey now we know. B)

• edited March 2018

This looks very interesting, but also complicated. There must’ve been 20+ steps on the official demo to get this set up. Perhaps a few tutorial videos will make it seem easier.

EDIT - Just tried with this, following a YouTube video step by step. Got some sound going, but before I could try much of anything, the MidiFlow components fell over, rendering Patterning silent. All I did was change out one of the AU’s. Can’t be bothered to do all that again at the moment.

• You can also just use AUM as an AU host.

• @echoopera said:
    You can also just use AUM as an AU host.

>

Sorry, do you mean we can load Patterning into AUM and have it Midi out per channel to suitable apps?