Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ghost Town by the Specials type Wind FX

Id like to create a wind FX patch on one of my synth apps (think intro to Ghost Town)

What's the best technique / synth to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• I think you will want either white or pink noise and then a bandpass filter with a narrowish (technical term) Q with some modulation or automation on the frequency should get you close....

• Most of the synths with an fx group will have some sort of wind sound.
    I just peeked at Model 15 and the “Winds” and “Tornados” programs are good. You could start there and tweak it.

• If you are making one yourself, try assigning envelopes on Velocity and pitch, so that as the volume goes up, the pitch rises slightly with it. Then you get a variable wind intensity type of effect that will sound more natural.
    If you want to have more control over the effect, try using a mod wheel instead of envelopes. Then you can play the wind effect live exactly how you want.

• Thanks all. Will give it a bash. Trying to get to grips with creating from scratch rather than from a preset but will check these out too.

• Managed it fairly simply in grooverider using the noise plus sine waveform. Cheers

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    Managed it fairly simply in grooverider using the noise plus sine waveform. Cheers

Just done a few wind style patches after seeing this for fun. Amazing how much variety you can get from the basic idea :)

• Not quite mastered the horror style wind whistling bit yet

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@SheffieldBleep said:
    Managed it fairly simply in grooverider using the noise plus sine waveform. Cheers

Just done a few wind style patches after seeing this for fun. Amazing how much variety you can get from the basic idea :)

Fun innit

• FWIW, we have this effect on a track from the next album.

After trying half a dozen methods, what worked was the simplest; just whistling it in close to a mic, with no mic shield. :)

• Apparently the specials used a transcendent 2000 synth trivia fans!

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    Apparently the specials used a transcendent 2000 synth trivia fans!

Dang, that was some expensive wind. Now I’m gonna sample it for free. >:)

• My wife turned me on to the Specials, as the two tone, ska punk thing just didn’t resonate with me as a young lad. Some of their records are so raw, upfront, compressed to hell in the best possible way...I dig them. “Ghost Town” is my favorite of theirs, yeah I know it’s like one of the hits or whatever but listen to all of the hooks going on...it’s like Tom Petty’s “You Don’t Know How It Feels”, just every instrument has a hook and a well written part.

I agree about the pink noise into a bandpass filter...the iVCS
    3 can whip up some serious noises and atmospheric sounds.

• @JRSIV said:
    My wife turned me on to the Specials, as the two tone, ska punk thing just didn’t resonate with me as a young lad.

>

As a young lad, I was in Coventry railway station one afternoon. While waiting for my train, I was playing the ‘Asteroids’ video machine in the cafe. Some other travellers about my age saw me doing well and asked if I was up for a challenge. So we alternated play for a few games. I won, by the skin of my teeth, and then their train to London arrived......a day or so later, I was watching Top of the Pops, and there they were, The Special AKA, as the band was originally named. :)

• @Zen210507 said:

@JRSIV said:
    My wife turned me on to the Specials, as the two tone, ska punk thing just didn’t resonate with me as a young lad.

>

As a young lad, I was in Coventry railway station one afternoon. While waiting for my train, I was playing the ‘Asteroids’ video machine in the cafe. Some other travellers about my age saw me doing well and asked if I was up for a challenge. So we alternated play for a few games. I won, by the skin of my teeth, and then their train to London arrived......a day or so later, I was watching Top of the Pops, and there they were, The Special AKA, as the band was originally named. :)

Great story! A colleague of mine was the original singer then manager. He’s still mates with Jerry. Shame they all fell out.

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    Great story! A colleague of mine was the original singer then manager. He’s still mates with Jerry. Shame they all fell out.

>

Yeah. Also that ‘Happy’ Terry Hall’s solo work didn’t really catch the public’s imagination. His song ‘Forever J’ was among the best he wrote.

• @Zen210507 said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

>

Yeah. Also that ‘Happy’ Terry Hall’s solo work didn’t really catch the public’s imagination. His song ‘Forever J’ was among the best he wrote.

Fun boy 3 and colour field did some good stuff. Love Terry,s sarky voice