Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: About to go on several long plane rides: Best iPhone app/game for distraction/entertainment?

edited March 2018 in Other

I am not much of a phone user but my iPad's battery seems to last less long than it used to. Am thinking I should add a game or two (or other app) to my phone for distraction as and when needed. What is the app you find the most easy/phone-friendly? I do have a lot of music apps, but tend to find most too small for extended fiddling.

Welcome any and all of your kind suggestions!

Comments

• The Room series
    Monument Valley
    Altos Adventure
    Final Fantasy 15 pocket edition is flat out amazing, but can eat up your battery at higher settings.

• Polytopia, Plague Inc, Bastion, Infinity Blade, Rush Rally 2

• Sega has released a lot of their classics for free on the App Store including Sonic, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage etc. I also like playing Minecraft on my iPad but it’s better with a MFI controller. Monument Valley is nice too but I haven’t played the second version. If you’re into Zelda like games, Oceanhorn will easily help you pass time.

• Also, if you have the YT app on your phone you should be able to download videos for watching offline, so you could download a bunch of ted X talks to watch on the plane:

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/features/youtube-offline-what-is-it-how-to-save-a-video-for-offline-viewing-784688

And (controversial I know) I've been watching Jordan Peterson's Maps Of Meaning while working the last few weeks, there's several hours of Carl Jung inspired psychology there and it's pretty darned interesting, although more mystical than scientific IMO (but nothing wrong with that):

• Been said...Monument Valley if you want great art and a fun but not too difficult puzzle game (just the right difficulty for the experience), Alto’s Adventure/Alto’s Odyssey are great for infinite runners and high score chasing with great graphics and atmosphere.

I’ll add Death Road to Canada if you liked Oregon Trail. Almost endless replay value. You gotta stop and loot for supplies amid zombies to get by, and then the road trip has a bunch of fun random events.

• edited March 2018

I love the iPad version of Kingdom Rush and got a friend hooked on the iPhone version. It is one of those few games where I particularly love to play with the sound on. It really adds a fun layer.

• Basket Fall by Kumobius is a good one
    If you like number games Threes is pretty good although I think they have added annoying ads still pretty good

• Threes! and Mini Metro.

• Thank you all! Will report back! My bored self over the Atlantic appreciates your suggestions :)

JG

• Most of the planes I've been on recently have had USB charging ports FWIW. Also battery packs for your phone/iPad are pretty cheap.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Thank you all! Will report back! My bored self over the Atlantic appreciates your suggestions :)

JG

Hrmmm Johnny with this amount of time to yourself and some headphones you really should be working on your EP. o:)

J/K

Monument Valley 1&2
    Machinima

Have a great flight...making music :p

• Reckless Getaway is one that I keep coming back to.

https://itunes.apple.com/za/app/reckless-getaway-2/id1190553787?mt=8

• @cian said:
    Most of the planes I've been on recently have had USB charging ports FWIW. Also battery packs for your phone/iPad are pretty cheap.

I always carry the battery pack with me, had too many instances where the built in USB port didn't work on a flight :(

• edited March 2018

@richardyot said:

And (controversial I know) I've been watching Jordan Peterson's Maps Of Meaning while working the last few weeks, there's several hours of Carl Jung inspired psychology there and it's pretty darned interesting, although more mystical than scientific IMO (but nothing wrong with that):

Just can't escape that guy these days. Not even here...

Politics aside his crazy lectures on mythology are at the very least entertaining and if you're the right type of person I'm sure they could consume all of your free time.

• Just get Gadget, all its IAPs, all the synths that work in it, and all of those IAPs. :smirk: Fine fine, just get Gadget and the Vancouver IAP (that’ll be your sampler) and have at it.

Or get Chordflow for making random melodies you may use in a fuller production later on.

Okay, fine, a game you want? Minecraft. Wait, Sega did what now?! Oh SWEET!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Just get Gadget, all its IAPs, all the synths that work in it, and all of those IAPs. :smirk: Fine fine, just get Gadget and the Vancouver IAP (that’ll be your sampler) and have at it.

Or get Chordflow for making random melodies you may use in a fuller production later on.

Okay, fine, a game you want? Minecraft. Wait, Sega did what now?! Oh SWEET!

Yea man they’ve been actively putting out classics for about a year now. Free with an ad before you start the game. No intrusive ads to gameplay (something I wish all free games would apply)

• And as a backup for the USB port on the plane not working...and your battery pack draining...

• @SlowMotion said:

@richardyot said:

Just can't escape that guy these days. Not even here...

Politics aside his crazy lectures on mythology are at the very least entertaining and if you're the right type of person I'm sure they could consume all of your free time.

If you've ever read Carl Jung you'll know (more or less) what to expect. Just like Jung it should be taken with a pinch of salt, because there is no real scientific basis for it, it's very subjective and open to interpretation, but it's still damn interesting - some of the ideas are worthwhile, it's just that there's no way of proving if they are true or not :)

• It has to be The Room. And The Room two, three and four. I’m not a big gamer, but these are delicious. Great sound, too. Can’t seem to paste the link. Just look up Fireproof Games on the App Store. You'll thank me later, I promise.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    And as a backup for the USB port on the plane not working...and your battery pack draining...

Right, because that’ll work...

:smirk:

• edited March 2018

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    And as a backup for the USB port on the plane not working...and your battery pack draining...

Well, if you plug that into the song development engine you could use the point-of-view to get 3 options for your boxes, you, the mama, and the turd :D :D :D

• Do as many of the Syntorial lessons as you can manage. Use noise canceling headphones on the plane though, as there is so much white noise in the cabin. It may screw up your ability to hear the subtleties the lessons are trying to get across.

• Osmos (2010 award winner)

Brilliant relax game designed for touchscreen.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/osmos-for-ipad/id379323382?mt=8

• And all of this dude’s games, they’re hilarious!

https://itunes.apple.com/za/app/touchdowners/id1231605031?mt=8

• edited March 2018

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Well, if you plug that into the song development engine you could use the point-of-view to get 3 options for your boxes, you, the mama, and the turd :D :D :D

-How did that hot mama give birth.
    -To such an aggravating turd.
    -I’d really like to sleep with her.
    -Once I stick her brat in daycare first.

Lookee there, four lines of lyrics! Hooray!

• Do an odd number of lines.