Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The real reason I can't stand using Retronyms AudioCopy

Comments

• lol same here

• For me, it’s being forced to convert all my samples to 16-bit wav. It does NOT support 24-bit nor 32-bit wavs for whatever reason.

• Is there any reason to use this anymore?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    For me, it’s being forced to convert all my samples to 16-bit wav. It does NOT support 24-bit nor 32-bit wavs for whatever reason.

likewise.....and for those more worried about space than audio quality....it doesn't allow MP3 either !

• @AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    For me, it’s being forced to convert all my samples to 16-bit wav. It does NOT support 24-bit nor 32-bit wavs for whatever reason.

likewise.....and for those more worried about space than audio quality....it doesn't allow MP3 either !

Nor m4a as a matter of fact. :astonished: Most apps on iOS don’t even convert to MP3 but rather m4a as the lossy format of choice.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Nor m4a as a matter of fact. :astonished: Most apps on iOS don’t even convert to MP3 but rather m4a as the lossy format of choice.

Indeed, its 44Khz 16 bit wav or nothing as far as audiocopy..

• @AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@jwmmakerofmusic & @AndyPlankton - I dislike Audiocopy as much as the next guy, but I'd like to ask you an honestly serious question:

Why are 24-bit or 32-bit wav files better for you than 16-bit? Can you hear the difference? Do you get extra mileage out of the audio quality? Not trying to be snarky here - I'm genuinely interested in hearing your thoughts.

• @dvlmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@jwmmakerofmusic & @AndyPlankton - I dislike Audiocopy as much as the next guy, but I'd like to ask you an honestly serious question:

Why are 24-bit or 32-bit wav files better for you than 16-bit? Can you hear the difference? Do you get extra mileage out of the audio quality? Not trying to be snarky here - I'm genuinely interested in hearing your thoughts.

Because my Line 6 Amplifi TT works at 48Khz 24 Bit when connected via usb.....

Also, not relevent to me but if you want to release on iTunes it needs to be 48Khz 24 bit AFAIK

• well, in that case the copy process snips of the last 8 bits, which may read dramatic... but eventually only affects signal parts lower than -90dB.
    Processing and mixing 16bit files doesn't prevent a 24bit mixdown either ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@dvlmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Also, not relevent to me but if you want to release on iTunes it needs to be 48Khz 24 bit AFAIK

That's interesting about iTunes - it wasn't that way when I released my last album, but that was 3 years ago so things may have changed since then.

I can understand about the Line 6 though - man, those file sizes must just chew through your storage....

• @dvlmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

For me I couldn’t care less about the “difference in audio quality”. Only difference is where the “noise floor” is, and it’s far lower on 32-bits. HOWEVER, the audio samples I use are already normalised, so noise floor is a non-existant issue.

No no, for me, when I’m in the middle of production and I need to import an audio sample, 9 times out of 10 that sample will be 24-bits or 32-bits. The last thing I want to do is halt my flow just to convert an audio sample. THAT is why Audiocopy sucks. It’s a major workflow killer. ;)

• noise floor makes a difference if you're doing processing. Dunno that 32 bit is necessary, but 24 bit is certainly worth it.

• @dvlmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@dvlmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

That's interesting about iTunes - it wasn't that way when I released my last album, but that was 3 years ago so things may have changed since then.

I can understand about the Line 6 though - man, those file sizes must just chew through your storage....

Up until a month ago I was on a 16GB device too....the extra 4khz doesn't make much difference storage wise...but the extra bits do :)

I may be wrong about iTunes needing 48Khz....I did read it somewhere though. Looks like they DO want stuff to be 24 bit though........

I only scan read this just now after your response....
    https://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/

The main reason I will always go as high as I can with audio format......
    I remember many years ago when Steinberg first released WARP VST amp simulator that the overdriven sounds were awful on my system, I rang them and was told that strange as it may seem, in order for software to make something sound dirtier it is better to give it as high a definition source as possible to give the algorhythms the best chance....they were right....by upping from 44.1 16 bit to 96Khz 24 bit input the overdriven sounds were spot on. Times may have changed now with better algorhythms...but that has always stuck with me, and I'll always use the highest possible quality for my source as is practical :)

• I love Audiocopy and use it daily.

I get frustrated with iMPC at times, but the bulk import of packs is best on ios.

Like K MACHINE and APE APP you can import en masse.

It has its issues but I will give them time to catch up with all the changes and devices lately.

Many other apps get time to get it right with iOS 11 and iPhoneX so I will give them time.

No better place for music apps to access wide variety of materials.

I am fortunate to have all those packs when I need them.

Yes, it is shitty when it doesn't work. But, all apps are.

Just me though.

I mean Korg still uses it, so it can't be that bad.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@dvlmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@dvlmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Up until a month ago I was on a 16GB device too....the extra 4khz doesn't make much difference storage wise...but the extra bits do :)

I may be wrong about iTunes needing 48Khz....I did read it somewhere though. Looks like they DO want stuff to be 24 bit though........

I only scan read this just now after your response....
    https://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/

The main reason I will always go as high as I can with audio format......
    I remember many years ago when Steinberg first released WARP VST amp simulator that the overdriven sounds were awful on my system, I rang them and was told that strange as it may seem, in order for software to make something sound dirtier it is better to give it as high a definition source as possible to give the algorhythms the best chance....they were right....by upping from 44.1 16 bit to 96Khz 24 bit input the overdriven sounds were spot on. Times may have changed now with better algorhythms...but that has always stuck with me, and I'll always use the highest possible quality for my source as is practical :)

Cool - I appreciate the feedback. Always interested to know others' opinions on this sort of thing.

• Folders that can not be deleted drive me nuts ;)

The folders are no longer present in the 'iTunes' folder but they still insist on being show in AudioCopy.app without proper icon. The icon is present in the 'Audio Paste' pop-over in apps that support it...

I keep AudioCopy.app around and get a pack or two every now and then.
    AudioShare remains my preferred place to keep my audio-files and thankfully Korg Gadget now supports it.

A 'cross breed' between AudioShare and AudioCopy would be totally awesome!
    (Think AudioShare with the Sample-Editor from AudioCopy and full Files.app support, AudioPaste support with optional Files.app browsing etc. etc.)

As far as I know AudioCopy is due for an update.

• @Samu said:
    Folders that can not be deleted drive me nuts ;)

The folders are no longer present in the 'iTunes' folder but they still insist on being show in AudioCopy.app without proper icon. The icon is present in the 'Audio Paste' pop-over in apps that support it...

I keep AudioCopy.app around and get a pack or two every now and then.
    AudioShare remains my preferred place to keep my audio-files and thankfully Korg Gadget now supports it.

A 'cross breed' between AudioShare and AudioCopy would be totally awesome!
    (Think AudioShare with the Sample-Editor from AudioCopy and full Files.app support, AudioPaste support with optional Files.app browsing etc. etc.)

As far as I know AudioCopy is due for an update.

Yes it's been due for an update since 2014 I think :D

• I thought they were supposed to release ver 4, did they just give up on that?

• @Strizbiz said:
    I thought they were supposed to release ver 4, did they just give up on that?

Giving up on AudioCopy would be one of the single greatest strategic decisions ever made by this silly company.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Strizbiz said:

Giving up on AudioCopy would be one of the single greatest strategic decisions ever made by this silly company.

lol, I'm on the verge of deleting it, I'm trying to give them a little more time to get Mpc pro 2 together to the point I start actually using it and maybe buy some expansions for it, but its not there for me yet. The whole stem export to Itunes and not the files app fell short for me, not to mention what other in this thread mentioned, 16bit files, from both Audiocopy and Impc Pro 2.

• @Strizbiz said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Strizbiz said:

lol, I'm on the verge of deleting it, I'm trying to give them a little more time to get Mpc pro 2 together to the point I start actually using it and maybe buy some expansions for it, but its not there for me yet. The whole stem export to Itunes and not the files app fell short for me, not to mention what other in this thread mentioned, 16bit files, from both Audiocopy and Impc Pro 2.

Yeah, iMPC Pro 2 is a major disappointment too really, lol. Same format limitations as Audiocopy. Hey Retronyms, it ain’t f-cking 2010 anymore! Even our iPhones are more powerful!