Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Factory Reset: Pros Cons (iPad or MacBook)

Here is the deal.

My iPad Air 2 is running really really really bad.

I know the battery is pretty worn on it as well.

I am currently running iOS 11.

Do you think a factory reset and starting over with it may clean out the cob webs and help this thing run better?

I can't remember the last time I made music without a crash.

I feel like almost most apps shit up one way or another excluding like a handful.

What are your thoughts?

If so, how exactly do you go about clearing and factory reseting an iPad?

What is your experience?

It is getting so frustrating that I am literally really getting agitated and bummed at the same time lately in dealing with this.

Same question.

Plug in same basic story except apply to MacBook Pro 15 inch bought a couple months ago. I am having issues with cursor and whole thing freezing for a second or two, issues connecting IOS devices and USB not being recognized, as well as some other anomalies like can't dismount hard drive to repair issues.

I was told likely High Sierra had some less that ideal installs on some devices and that is likely the culprit.

Would you factory reset the MacBook?

I don't have much on here except Ableton, DRC VST, SynthMaster VST, and a couple other plug ins along with a nice loop/sample library. So, I don't think it would be a big deal but want to know if it is worth doing.

Thank you in advance for the responses.

Comments

• Yes. I do this once a year and it’s a minor headache but my phone and laptop are four years old and run brilliantly.

iOS has a pretty good backup system. I just back everything up to iCloud (you can also use iTunes), run through the factory reset prompts, and let it restore from the most recent backup. Before doing that, it might be worth uninstalling anything you don’t use anymore. Please note that, while I’ve never lost data, I cannot guarantee that this process will preserve every bit of user data. However, in my experience, it’s always worked out just fine.

I do the MBP restore a bit differently. You can restore from backup but I usually just do a full fresh reinstall. I don’t use iLok, I keep all of my user data in iCloud, and I purchase most of my apps through the App Store, so the hardest part is digging up my Lumen serial number.

• In regards to your mbp, few things I'd try before reinstalling the os is resetting the smc (system management controller), doing a hardware test and running a systems utilities app.

To reset the smc, shut down your mbp, hold down shift-control-option keys and the power button at the same time for 10 seconds. Make sure though it is precisely 10 seconds, not 9.935 or 10.148 seconds as you'll cause a tear in the space time continuum and could, in a worse case scenario, find yourself in a parallel universe wearing a dappa cod piece, I made that last bit up, but the rest is legit.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

For a hardware test/apple diagnostics, disconnect all external devices, apart from ethernet (if you use one) and power cable, shut down your mbp, power up your mbp and before the first white screen kicks in hold down the D key. Keep holding the D key until it asks you to choose a language, choose a language you don't know, ok I admit I'm being naughty again, after you've chosen your language it should start the test, which takes a couple of minutes. It's slightly different, what you'll see if your mbp is up to 2013 in age, you'll get an old looking clip art computer image when the hardware test is running, after 2013 you'll get a progress bar, way to active hardware test/apple diagnostics is the same though.

Upto 2013
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

After 2013
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202731

Systems utility app I use for osx is called maintenance, you need to download the version for your particular version of osx/mac os, for now I'd just check all the boxes in the maintenance section once you load the app and leave the other sections blank, run the tasks, it will ask to restart your mac after it's finished, so make sure you haven't got any work up.

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/maintenance.html

If it's still acting flakey after all this then maybe consider reinstalling the os, you used to be able to just install the os on macs and have all your files and stuff in place, not sure if it's still the same with high sierra, reinstalling osx usually sorts out any problems. I put the first steps up so you can get an idea of some of the things you can do if you run into problems in the future.

• Regarding iOS - does any one recall maybe a couple of years back there was some sort of guitar oriented app that messed up other apps, maybe it messed with IAA? Point being, that incident made me believe that (although it certainly may have been fixed) apps can hit some system files/instructions in ways that can break something like IAA. -a very common problem in windows where devs modify or create flaky dll's.

So yes, reinstalling your iPad is most likely going to help. I'd even suggest installing your apps "slowly" - I.e. One at a time, then test the iPad, see how it feels. Could be one specific app, and indentifying it would be easier this way.
    And as always - back everything up! Long time ago, an it guy told me "it's not if the drive will fail, its when". Whether a floppy, ssd, spinner or iPad, that things gonna die, break, or just walk away - just take the time and back it up!

• @jrjulius said:
    Yes. I do this once a year and it’s a minor headache but my phone and laptop are four years old and run brilliantly.

iOS has a pretty good backup system. I just back everything up to iCloud (you can also use iTunes), run through the factory reset prompts, and let it restore from the most recent backup. Before doing that, it might be worth uninstalling anything you don’t use anymore. Please note that, while I’ve never lost data, I cannot guarantee that this process will preserve every bit of user data. However, in my experience, it’s always worked out just fine.

I do the MBP restore a bit differently. You can restore from backup but I usually just do a full fresh reinstall. I don’t use iLok, I keep all of my user data in iCloud, and I purchase most of my apps through the App Store, so the hardest part is digging up my Lumen serial number.

Thank you

• @wigglelights said:
    Regarding iOS - does any one recall maybe a couple of years back there was some sort of guitar oriented app that messed up other apps, maybe it messed with IAA? Point being, that incident made me believe that (although it certainly may have been fixed) apps can hit some system files/instructions in ways that can break something like IAA. -a very common problem in windows where devs modify or create flaky dll's.

So yes, reinstalling your iPad is most likely going to help. I'd even suggest installing your apps "slowly" - I.e. One at a time, then test the iPad, see how it feels. Could be one specific app, and indentifying it would be easier this way.
    And as always - back everything up! Long time ago, an it guy told me "it's not if the drive will fail, its when". Whether a floppy, ssd, spinner or iPad, that things gonna die, break, or just walk away - just take the time and back it up!

That is my feeling.

Don't want to make any claims but I have suspicions based on deductive reasoning.

Thanks for feedback

• Back up both before resetting them. What year MacBook Pro do you have?

• iPad Air 2 is good on iOS 10 - you can keep more than 10-20 apps open.

But iOS 11 on Air 2 is a stretch for its old hardware - you can barely keep less than 5 apps open before it slows down.

My iPad Air 2 on iOS 11 doesn't crash any apps (Cubasis, GB, FLSM, Poison-202, Kauldron, GeoShred, Animoog, MusicStudio, Gadget, Module, Magellan, Sunrizer, Medly, Guitarism, Eos 2, Final Touch, etc.)

If your apps are crashing every time, maybe report the issues to the app developer. What apps are you using?

• I’m just thinking- I have two iPads with different material on each- I pay for iCloud storage- what happens when I reinstal from iCloud- I have the same ID and password etc. How does iCloud differentiate between my differing contents?- or do you get two lots?

• Each device is backed up into iCloud separately and gets restored separately. The same applies backing up iPad and iPhone into iCloud.

• @powerobject said:
    iPad Air 2 is good on iOS 10 - you can keep more than 10-20 apps open.

But iOS 11 on Air 2 is a stretch for its old hardware - you can barely keep less than 5 apps open before it slows down.

My iPad Air 2 on iOS 11 doesn't crash any apps (Cubasis, GB, FLSM, Poison-202, Kauldron, GeoShred, Animoog, MusicStudio, Gadget, Module, Magellan, Sunrizer, Medly, Guitarism, Eos 2, Final Touch, etc.)

If your apps are crashing every time, maybe report the issues to the app developer. What apps are you using?

It is the device and iOS 11

That is when things got ugly

I work with several developers we actually addressed some things with Apple

I am looking for more anecdotal at this point from you smart folks

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    Back up both before resetting them. What year MacBook Pro do you have?

2015? Maybe? I dunno

$2000 or something like that

I bought it brand new at Best Buy a couple months ago

• Ios 11 is great for the Rozeta suite and I don’t regret but we lost a lot of apps and my air 2 is slower and slower after the updates (we can’t avoid Ios downloading the update but we can avoid to install it ). That’s the programmed obsolescence which were on the tv news in December 2017 .Im not sure it will be faster if you factory reset and install the last iOS but you will gain a lot of storage capacity...

• edited March 2018

IOS:

Best method:

follow: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

(you need iTunes on a PC or Mac to do it)

A clean factory restore (not: reset!), using the "recovery mode" should be quite OK - after this use your iCloud Backup. There are cases where two factory restore in a row (each of them in "recovery mode") give better results - the reason for this is unknown to me.

Clean your Memory:

Sometimes it helps just to clean up the memory: press on home button until the usual windows appear (and offers you to turn out the device), then - magic - do exactly the same a second time until the window appears again.

Doesn't seem to do anything, but cleans up the memory (afaik).

Complicate cases, where "best method" don't help:

In case "best method" don't help: Repeat "best method", carefully read HT201263 again - but after doing two complete restores in a row don't use a backup! Don't forget how important the "recovery mode" is! Clean reinstall. Reinstall the most needed apps first, test your device. Now: really everything should work smooth and fast.

Sometimes (very seldom) third party apps or their combinations give weird results. Usually it is a good idea, to limit the number of installed apps on your device - if you ask me.

• I tend to do a fresh install of my OS on the MBP about once a year. Partly because I do a lot of beta testing for various companies and it's the easiest way to clean everything up now and then. But I do think it seems to help keep various issues with incompatibilities at bay. Plus, I always seem to gain back some precious SSD space too.

The iOS stuff I don't tend to completely start from scratch on, but I do back up to iCloud, Erase All Data and Settings, and then restore from my iCloud backup roughly twice a year.

• @wigglelights said:
    Regarding iOS - does any one recall maybe a couple of years back there was some sort of guitar oriented app that messed up other apps, maybe it messed with IAA? Point being, that incident made me believe that (although it certainly may have been fixed) apps can hit some system files/instructions in ways that can break something like IAA. -a very common problem in windows where devs modify or create flaky dll's.

I'm pretty sure the app you're talking about is Tonebridge, it was causing havoc, especially with Auria Pro, it was making it crash on start, I remember because no other app had ever affected other apps for me and no other app has since. Somebody was smart enough to figure that one out, it would have taken me way too long to reinstall one app at a time.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Here is the deal.

My iPad Air 2 is running really really really bad.

I know the battery is pretty worn on it as well.

I am currently running iOS 11.

Do you think a factory reset and starting over with it may clean out the cob webs and help this thing run better?

I can't remember the last time I made music without a crash.

I feel like almost most apps shit up one way or another excluding like a handful.

What are your thoughts?

If so, how exactly do you go about clearing and factory reseting an iPad?

What is your experience?

It is getting so frustrating that I am literally really getting agitated and bummed at the same time lately in dealing with this.

Same question.

Plug in same basic story except apply to MacBook Pro 15 inch bought a couple months ago. I am having issues with cursor and whole thing freezing for a second or two, issues connecting IOS devices and USB not being recognized, as well as some other anomalies like can't dismount hard drive to repair issues.

I was told likely High Sierra had some less that ideal installs on some devices and that is likely the culprit.

Would you factory reset the MacBook?

I don't have much on here except Ableton, DRC VST, SynthMaster VST, and a couple other plug ins along with a nice loop/sample library. So, I don't think it would be a big deal but want to know if it is worth doing.

Thank you in advance for the responses.

What IOS are you running and how much space do you have left on your Air 2? I'm on an Air 2 with about 22gb left out of 128, running IOS 11.2.1 and everything is running fine at the moment. I dont plan on updating my OS anytime soon if at all because I just feel like my Ipad will get slower and slower and come to a crawl like my Ipad 2 did when I tried keeping up with the latest OS it could run. I'm just wondering if you are running the latest IOS and if that has anything to do with it?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

2015? Maybe? I dunno

That means it’s still covered by apples warranty. If you can, take it into an Apple store and see what’s wrong with it. I asked because my 2012 is acting funny because the logic board is dying out and the hard drive cable broke. Started acting like how you described yours

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    IOS:

Best method:

follow: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

(you need iTunes on a PC or Mac to do it)

A clean factory restore (not: reset!), using the "recovery mode" should be quite OK - after this use your iCloud Backup. There are cases where two factory restore in a row (each of them in "recovery mode") give better results - the reason for this is unknown to me.

Clean your Memory:

Sometimes it helps just to clean up the memory: press on home button until the usual windows appear (and offers you to turn out the device), then - magic - do exactly the same a second time until the window appears again.

Doesn't seem to do anything, but cleans up the memory (afaik).

Complicate cases, where "best method" don't help:

In case "best method" don't help: Repeat "best method", carefully read HT201263 again - but after doing two complete restores in a row don't use a backup! Don't forget how important the "recovery mode" is! Clean reinstall. Reinstall the most needed apps first, test your device. Now: really everything should work smooth and fast.

Sometimes (very seldom) third party apps or their combinations give weird results. Usually it is a good idea, to limit the number of installed apps on your device - if you ask me.

Thank you

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

2015? Maybe? I dunno

That means it’s still covered by apples warranty. If you can, take it into an Apple store and see what’s wrong with it. I asked because my 2012 is acting funny because the logic board is dying out and the hard drive cable broke. Started acting like how you described yours

Oh.

Ok thank you