Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tardigrain | What note is it anyway? | Tuning your Samples

Comments

• thanks for that. I was instinctively doing this already when I tried importing my own samples, but I wasn't 100% sure it was the correct method or was working just right.

• Sweet! Thanks man!

• That was very clarifying.

• So useful! Thanks.

Another alternative is the stand-alone wave editor in Caustic. It's handy when you have lot of soundbanks imported with short one shot samples you need to retune.

• Which tuning app did you use?
    I seem to have seen it already, so maybe i have it installed, but cannot find it.

• tjatja
    edited March 2018

@gmslayton said:
    @tja I used tunable

Yep, have it :-)
    In the "Chord Helper" folder ...

Thanks!

Edit: I seem to have unbelievable many great apps, which i never use. Need more free time for this.

• I recommend TE Tuner by the great #sonosaurus.

• edited March 2018

Is there not some way for a future update to automatically detect what note is being recorded in, and display it. That strikes me as a rather useful feature. How about adding that, Mr Erik?

• @Zen210507 said:
    Is there not some way for a future update to automatically detect what note is being recorded in, and display it. That strikes me as a rather useful feature. How about adding that, Mr Erik?

Doubt it. Few of the samples I'm feeding into this are clear single tones. Usuall, I have to listen to the sample a few times and mentally average out and guess the overall tone it's closest to.

• @aaronpc said:
    Doubt it. Few of the samples I'm feeding into this are clear single tones. Usuall, I have to listen to the sample a few times and mentally average out and guess the overall tone it's closest to.

>

Then could the app be made to detect the dominant note, and go from there?

• @Zen210507 said:

@aaronpc said:

>

Then could the app be made to detect the dominant note, and go from there?

I'm all for it, but I know even good audio to midi software has a hard time with anything but simple stuff. I'm temped to run some of my samples through MIDImorphosis and see what comes out, now. I'm guessing note soup.

• I always go by ear. Aren’t you guys musicians?

Besides sometimes you don’t want the exact pitch, but one that goes with the mix. A little dissonance can go a long way

• @Zen210507
    Did a quick test and... not bad! I ran Tardigrain into MIDImorphosis via Audiobus and played some of my presets. I was able to determine a dominant note, more or less, by watching the feedback, and was able to use it to adjust the samples properly. The results were no better for me than using a reference tone and my own ears, but it does show it's possible, even with some of my wonky samples. One catch is that if you choose only a portion of a sample, then move your selection later, you may have to start all over if the new portion is sufficiently different from the first.

Whether or not Eric is interested in trying to code this up is another story, but it could be useful.

• edited March 2018

@aaronpc said:
    I'm temped to run some of my samples through MIDImorphosis and see what comes out, now. I'm guessing note soup.

>

Yeah, I had MIDIMorphoses, but never could get much out of it that was useable. Encourage too read that you have had more success. Maybe I’’ll give it another go.

• @pedro said:
    I always go by ear. Aren’t you guys musicians?

I’m not a musician, but I am part of a group that makes music which musicians tell me is valid. My ears aren’t trained the way yours are. :)

• @pedro I would assume we are musicians. hehe. I too play by ear but sometimes its just easier to use a tuner. Plus its just fun watching the graph in tunable.

• Didn’t realize you could change the root, good vid. I’ve just been making sure to import C samples.

• @Zen210507 said:

@aaronpc said:
    I'm temped to run some of my samples through MIDImorphosis and see what comes out, now. I'm guessing note soup.

>

Yeah, I had MIDIMorphoses, but never could get much out of it that was useable. Encourage too read that you have had more success. Maybe I’’ll give it another go.

I've never had much success with MIDImorphosis at getting usable midi (not a guitar player) but it's universal and, unlike Tuneable, can be used in AB when you're in a loud room. Worth having around.

• I just pull up Phasemaker in AUM with that default preset and hook up the AUM keyboard. I play my file in a file player, and find the note by ear on the AUM keyboard.> @pedro said:

Besides sometimes you don’t want the exact pitch, but one that goes with the mix. A little dissonance can go a long way

And remember that Tardigrain has pitch increments in Cents when tuning up your samples in there, so you can give it a little nudge sharp or flat if it sounds sweeter.

• @gmslayton Useful and informative video, thanks : )

• @Zen210507 said:

@pedro said:

I’m not a musician, but I am part of a group that makes music which musicians tell me is valid. My ears aren’t trained the way yours are. :)

You don't need to be trained to know what sounds good to you. That said, the way you train your ear is by doing things like this by ear. There is no other method.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Zen210507 said:

@pedro said:

You don't need to be trained to know what sounds good to you. That said, the way you train your ear is by doing things like this by ear. There is no other method.

I hope that didn't sound condescending. I didn't mean it that way. There is nothing wrong with farming out aspects of the workflow. We all do it. I just like to always encourage people to develop their musicianship, and ear training and tuning are the most fundamental aspects of musicianship.

Tuning in particular can become part of the creative process. It irks me that the overwhelming majority of music apps totally deny the user any say in how the instrument is tuned, and default to 12et. That's just lazy programming, and it impedes musical development.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I hope that didn't sound condescending. I didn't mean it that way.

>

No worries. I took your comment in the good spirit it was made. But thanks for clarifying.

• Nice tutorial! Thanks!!

• edited March 2018

Thanks for the vid. Great app ! (even if it is still mysteriously opening csGrain whenever I import a sample