Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I'm going to interview Mathieu from Intua (creator of BM3). What do you want me to ask him?

Comments

• Are there any plans for implementing real time bouncing and or sending transport info when offline bouncing. Also duplicating banks. Really my only to concerns at the moment. Looking forward to the next update

• How about asking him what kind of music he is into, and how has this influenced the design of BM3. You could also ask him about some of his favorite apps that have influenced the design of BM3, or other developers he is influenced by.

If you want to put him on the spot, ask him if he has or had any regrets about releasing BM3 when he did, since many early adopters were very vocal about bugs in the first release. It’s kind of a harsh question, I know, but maybe you could put it in a more diplomatic way.

• edited March 2018

I’m curious to hear what he says about bugs as well. Is he overwhelmed by the ambition of the project or is he taking it all in his stride as the growing pains of new and complex software?

• I'd like to know how they came with the Beatmaker idea. I mean the first. I know they are DSP guys and did audio before. But I'm interested in that story.

• I would like to ask him if he was surprised at the negative reactions of many when he gave BM3 away for free over NAMM weekend. I know I was.

• I would throw a compliment in with the final question and ask him if he realizes what a true genius he is.
    My reason for thinking of him in this way comes from my impression of Intua as a one man army. BM3 is probably the greatest indie developer app ever. It is deep and slick enough to compete with the biggest corporate DAWs and was heralded as a game changer upon its highly anticipated release. It really is mind blowing when I think about it.

• @gusgranite said:
    Yeah, just hammer him with unfulfilled BM3 feature requests for the entire interview! Lol

Indeed. Just asking about features you are missing will make for a pretty uninspired interview.

Ask the guy some interesting things, like about his passion for Yoga or why he prefers to listen to music on oldschool casette tapes? :)

• Please ask when the scale aware pianoroll will be implemented and also if/when the Audiobus Midi problems will be resolved. Oh and if he were a flavour of ice cream what would he be?

• Please ask if he is having a nice day :)

• bombarded by feature requests. lol.
    reet.
    does he consider himself brainy, was he a swot at school? (so far i've managed to code my arduino to control 2 switches and a pot and my brain hurts o_O)
    if he wasn't coding what would he like to do?
    if there was one thing he could change about ios, what would it be?

• edited March 2018
    • If he could live in one specific place (in France or elsewhere), where would it be and why?
    • What's his own musical background?
    • Gainsbourg or Brel?
    • What does he call it: pain au chocolat or chocolatine?
    • Jean-Louis Murat - bucolic visionary or grumpy old git?
  • Fave color?

• @CracklePot said:
    I would throw a compliment in with the final question and ask him if he realizes what a true genius he is.
    My reason for thinking of him in this way comes from my impression of Intua as a one man army. BM3 is probably the greatest indie developer app ever. It is deep and slick enough to compete with the biggest corporate DAWs and was heralded as a game changer upon its highly anticipated release. It really is mind blowing when I think about it.

Then, i would like to know. how big INTUA realy is!
    How many employees, how many programmers / developers.

• To me, BM3 was a revolution in iOS that it enabled you to record automation of other dev's AU3s. Of course it's a great sampler too.
    My question would be about collaboration. Here on the forum we know the names of lots of the very helpful, communicative devs. We love those guys for their quick responses and adaptability to make popular changes to there apps. I'd like Mat to have the chance to shout out to the guys he got the best responses from, maybe even helped him. The success of AudioBus must be seen as a information exchange as much as a groundbreaking collaborative experiment. In this day and age of open source collaboration where many people work for little or no reward, Id be interested to hear how Mat feels he fits in to this amazing ecosphere.

• Ask him how I’m supposed to use it :smiley:
    (I’m a bit ashamed I haven’t made an effort to master it yet, so consider this a joke heheh.)

• edited March 2018

Whats the loudest accidental fart you had while doing yoga, follow up question, if you are practicing yoga and nobody is around when you fart, does it make a sound ?

• edited March 2018

Seriously, if you have feature requests, have the decency to email them or post them in their forum, and not all gang pounce him in an "interview" like ten year olds !!

• @Samplemunch said:
    Seriously, if you have feature requests, have the decency to email them or post them in their forum, and not all gang pounce him in an "interview" like ten year olds !!

10 year olds using BM3? Damn, I am old and lame. :D

• They would probably have better questions ;)

• Well definitely better than yours. ;)

• edited March 2018

Hello everyone,

Thanks for brainstorming all these ideas. Mat and I thought it would be fun to take a few questions from this forum.

I know everyone wants to keep this thread positive. As, only Mathieu and I will be deciding what is appropriate for this fun segment.

Let’s keep this thread positive and flowing in the right direction- Any light we can shine on music devs is a great thing.

Thank you! :)

• @handed said:
    Transient detection for slicing?

With adjustable sensitivity. That would get me back using the app for sure. If it’s been added in the last month or two, please correct me!

+1
    1. Transient detection for slicing has been "promised" in the early phase, but has since disappeared. I'm aware this is not the easiest feature to pull off, but are they working on it?
    2. Where are the t-shirts? ;)

• I really loved the cheap and off the wall IAPs that they have done. They are very quirky. I can see that IAPs may be very important to development cash flow in iOS land. Any plans to expand into other IAP areas?

• Any insight into the iOS music indie dev community would be interesting. I would like to hear your take on this, too @analog_matt . From hanging around on this forum, it seems like a lot of you know each other and maybe even support each other with technical knowledge, especially when dealing with common iOS related problems in particular.
    That’s the impression I get anyway. Would be nice to know more about it, if that is the case.

• How large is Intua?
    Has BM3 been a success financially?
    What are their plans going forwards (more IAPs, new apps)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I really loved the cheap and off the wall IAPs that they have done. They are very quirky. I can see that IAPs may be very important to development cash flow in iOS land. Any plans to expand into other IAP areas?

Yes, me too.

• Did he see a need or create it? Were people looking for music production on iOS or was it a matter of “if you build it they will come”? Where is iOS Music headed?

• I love bm3... yo, ask him if the new sACKhOLDER feature will be in an upcoming update..

• I would like to know what kind of role does Mathieu see BM3 having in the desktop or iOS to desktop production workflow / how does he see BM3 competing against the major players - desktop or iOS.

Trying not to make this a FR, but I think BM3, being already my #1 iOS production environment, would be uncontested if they expanded to desktop. DAW yes, but especially as a e.g. a single bank per instance VST sampler plugin. Loading bank + patterns created on iOS transferred to a desktop DAW - that would be the ultimate workflow! I would happily ditch my desktop NI Battery VST for this, and would also be happy to pay a competitive price for this added desktop functionality!

• Which achievement in BM3 is he most proud of ? and Why ?
    And least...and Why ?
    Aside from BM3 which is his favourite iOS Music app, and Why ?