Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What midi CCs do you have programmed for your knobs/pads on your midi controller?

I'm trying to set my keyboard up with what will be the most used Midi CCs for everything I will be doing. I'm trying to pick the most common and cross app compatible options. I then plan to label them on my controller so that I can use them in most situations. I'm trying to stick as closely to the midi spec as possible as well. I'd like to try to get a consensus to determine the most popular ones.

What are you using the most?

Comments

• It depends on if it’s a synth, drum machine, effect app, mixer, etc. but most common for me mapped on my mini 8 knob keyboard -
    Volume
    Filter Cutoff
    Filter Resonance
    Envelope Attack
    Envelope Release
    Some LFO/Modulation
    Effect Send 1
    Effect Send 2 (either a different Effect Send or a parameter of Send 1 effect, delay feedback for example.)

I often use a LaunchControl or LaunchControl XL so I can map A LOT of parameters on different MIDI channels but the above list is usually where I start.

• edited March 2018

@noisefan said:
    It depends on if it’s a synth, drum machine, effect app, mixer, etc. but most common for me mapped on my mini 8 knob keyboard -
    Volume
    Filter Cutoff
    Filter Resonance
    Envelope Attack
    Envelope Release
    Some LFO/Modulation
    Effect Send 1
    Effect Send 2 (either a different Effect Send or a parameter of Send 1 effect, delay feedback for example.)

I often use a LaunchControl or LaunchControl XL so I can map A LOT of parameters on different MIDI channels but the above list is usually where I start.

That's a good list. Outside of those, there's a lot of variation in how synth designers assign the CC's to their knobs. 95% of apps have midi learn, though, so no big deal. It seems like, in iOS, the majority don't even have a default mapping to any CC's- you have to midi learn them to get anything to work. I'm not sure why, maybe it is a generational thing? These kids don't remember the ritual flipping to the back of the manual to find the list of CC's that the synthesizer uses.

• Cool! So far, I'm leaning towards using the following:

Independent Pitch wheel/slider
    Independent Modulation Depth 1

Knob - Filter Cutoff 74
    Knob - Resonance 71
    Knob - Vibrato Rate (GM2)/LFO 76
    Knob - Vibrato Depth (GM2)/LFO 77
    Knob - Vibrato Delay (GM2)/LFO 78
    Knob - Reverb 91
    Knob - Chorus 93
    Knob - Attack 73
    Knob - Decay 75
    Knob - Sustain 80
    Knob - Release 72
    Knob - Pan 10
    Knob - Volume 7
    Knob - Portamento Time/Glide 5

Pad - Hold/Sustain (On/Off) 64
    Pad - Portamento (On/Off) 65
    Pad - All Sounds Off (Value 0 to all channels) 123
    Pad - Play/Pause 41
    Pad - Stop 42
    Pad - Record 45
    Pad - Loop 44
    Pad - Metronome 43

I still have enough space for a couple more things that use a knob. I would have loved to find a code to go forward to the next preset or backwards to the previous preset, but I haven't found a global way to do it yet.

I'm planning on using Gadget as my primary device and I'm using my Arturia Minilab MkII keyboard.

Is there anything that anyone can see that is redundant or anything useful that someone can see that would be good to add? I'm hoping to keep things as general midi compatible as possible so it will work with as much stuff as possible without needing alterations, but the transport controls can be midi learned in Gadget and I'm just using settings someone else mentioned, because I don't know any actual midi standard for transport controls.

Thanks!!

• Would Expression 11, be a redundancy in the list above?
    How about Breath Controller 2, mapped to a knob?

• @noisefan said:
    It depends on if it’s a synth, drum machine, effect app, mixer, etc. but most common for me mapped on my mini 8 knob keyboard -
    Volume
    Filter Cutoff
    Filter Resonance
    Envelope Attack
    Envelope Release
    Some LFO/Modulation
    Effect Send 1

What are the actual CCs you are using for Effect Send 1 and Effect Send 2?

• Also, aside from Reverb 91 and Chorus 93, are there any other effects that are commonly available?

• @Audiojunkie said:
    Also, aside from Reverb 91 and Chorus 93, are there any other effects that are commonly available?

Honestly, almost none of these default MIDI control numbers are commonly available on iOS. Korg supports a grip of them but there's no getting around MIDI Learn.

When using an 8 knob/slider thingy, my default list looks a lot like @noisefan. I usually skip volume and have both LFO depth and speed mapped.

• Most often I map things into AUM and just learn whatever control with whichever knob or such that is unused.