Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FoldR (now WaveFolder) vs. Shaper

I was wanting to play around with wave folders after messing with the one in Ripplemaker. I was looking at FoldR and it looked pretty cool, made by the dev that makes LayR synth which is highly regarded. Then I came across Shaper, which has wave folding, along with a few other interesting takes on waveform mangling. Anybody have both and care to weigh in on this decision? Or did you pick just one over the other, and why? I am currently unable to decide. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• I have both, WaveFolder does a specific very cool harmonic distortion effect and offers lots of control over the effect. Shaper is a multi-effect that has a distortion effect with the following options, Clip, Wrap, Fold, sFold, None.

So harmonic distortion with lots of control or a multi-effect with harmonic distortion with less control over that specific effect.

• @hacked_to_pieces That is very helpful. Thank you. :)

• Aw man, thank you so much! :)
    That was amazing of you to take the time to make a demo. It was incredibly helpful.
    FoldR is pretty much what I was hoping for. It looks like I could geek out with that for days. Shaper is not too shabby, either. Lots of range a variety it seems, and I believe that list was algorithms and not presets for Shaper, correct?
    I will definitely be getting that one later on. It looks too fun. B)
    Thank you, again.

• edited March 2018

Just a quick note to say that Shaper as an AU not only doesn’t work in Auria Pro, but actually hangs the app. Shame, as FX is really good. E-mail to devs is ignored. App will work as IAA under Auria, and fares better as AU with Cubasis,

• @Zen210507 said:
    Just a quick note to say that Shaper as an AU not only doesn’t work in Auria Pro, but actually hangs the app. Shame, as FX is really good. E-mail to devs is ignored. App will work as IAA under Auria, and fares better as AU with Cubasis,

Thanks for the info. Good to hear as I use Cubasis primarily. :)

• The first reply said it. If wavefolding is all you’re concerned with, then Foldr is the better choice.

Shaper is.a nice cheap app for bit reduction/other distortions though. Worth 3 bucks even if it doesn’t work in Auria.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Shaper is.a nice cheap app for bit reduction/other distortions though. Worth 3 bucks even if it doesn’t work in Auria.

>

For sure. Not being able to use it as an AU under Auria is a frustration, but at the price it’s still well worth having.

Foldr, I’m still uhming and ahing about. Mainly because the only demo I’ve seen makes me think that everything done with it will sound like everything done with it. ;)

• Anything new or are these still the only dedicated wave folding effects in the app store?

• miRack has wavefolders. I really like Foldr tho, but it's not state saving in AUM.

• @Ailerom @auxmux You can also use Drambo's Graphic Shaper module. Might be the easiest/fastest way to do it.
    Does AUv3 state saving too.

• @auxmux said:
    miRack has wavefolders. I really like Foldr tho, but it's not state saving in AUM.

As a workaround, you can save its state as an AUM preset. Have you ever reported the lack of state-saving to @LivingMemorySoftware ? Btw, it is now called Wavefolder. It had a name change somewhere along the way.

• I was thinking of something simpler, more a dedicated effect. Thanks for the ideas though.

• @espiegel123 said:

@auxmux said:
    miRack has wavefolders. I really like Foldr tho, but it's not state saving in AUM.

As a workaround, you can save its state as an AUM preset. Have you ever reported the lack of state-saving to @LivingMemorySoftware ? Btw, it is now called Wavefolder. It had a name change somewhere along the way.

Yup, been using AUM presets, haven't had a chance to send them a note. Likely will, since it's great for processing the raw oscillators from miRack. I'll give Drambo a shot too. @rs2000

• @auxmux said:

@espiegel123 said:

@auxmux said:

Yup, been using AUM presets, haven't had a chance to send them a note. Likely will, since it's great for processing the raw oscillators from miRack. I'll give Drambo a shot too. @rs2000

It's too easy as not to give it a try:

• AU state saving is fixed now. Woo! Sent a note a week back.