Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it possible to recover unsaved Gadget files?

I'm not an overly experienced Gadget user, but I've been putting more time into it these days. Yesterday, I spent about an hour cooking up a song, and then opened up a new project to quickly jot down another idea I had. When I went looking for my first project, to my surprise, it was gone. Unlike most other IOS apps, Gadget doesn't appear to autosave projects and doesn't prompt you to save your work before opening another project.

However, I know that if you open and close Gadget, the project you're currently working on will still be there. So is my "lost" project still hanging out in a folder that I can access through iFunbox or has it already been overwritten?

Comments

• Sad to say it's unlikely. Lost work In a similar way and was not able to recover it at all. Since then I keep saving manually.

• Well, that's a bummer. Not having a popup to prompt you to save your work before leaving a project seems like a fairly huge oversight by Korg. That's just common courtesy this day and age.

• Don't take my word as law though. I'm still relatively new to iOS music making. Maybe someone else here could help you :)

• Yeah, have to remember to save stuff in Gadget.

Most un-iOS-like it is.

• @Jocphone said:
    Yeah, have to remember to save stuff in Gadget.

Most un-iOS-like it is.

Yeah. Not sure why I haven't seen this issue raised as a feature request for Gadget before. It seems like an easy fix.

• This has only happened a few times for me and i have chalked it up to opening up the project in another ios device before saving. But just in case i always save. Makes me more comfortable anyways. I always worry when i close auria since it doesn't even give me the option to save

• @vpich said:
    This has only happened a few times for me and i have chalked it up to opening up the project in another ios device before saving. But just in case i always save. Makes me more comfortable anyways. I always worry when i close auria since it doesn't even give me the option to save

Auria auto-saves continuously, and also takes a snapshot of your project on opening, and then every ten minutes thereafter. You can roll back to any of the last ten snapshots.

• I love Gadget but for the life of me can't understand why 1) It doesn't autosave or at least give you a warning before leaving the unsaved project, and 2) It doesn't allow the user to input any name they desire for a track instead of having to resort to the small number of ambiguous names it allows. These have got to be two of the easiest (and most common) things for a music app developer to implement, and it's baffling to me why Korg doesn't include these features. Still, big Gadget fan here.

• I don't use Gadget very often but occasionally I'll just open it up and go, experimenting and not really worried about doing anything "seriously" like when I'm in n Auria Pro.

I spent about 4-5 hours on a project yesterday, I saved it a few times and when I first opened it today everything was fine. I remembered a bass sound on another project I did, looked at its settings real quick, and of course when I came back to the project I was working on, everything is gone.

And it didn't go back to a previous save deep into the bit but it was just the drum track and one section. I remembered Gadget was volitile with saves but I guess I wasn't OCD enough...and I'm pretty OCD re: shit like this.

I'm not livid, just annoyed & slightly pissed, but mainly disappointed. This is another reason I don't use Gadget too often, there are some weird things that just should not be problems this long into it's life.

Especially this saving issue! It's been a year since this thead was written, and Googling the matter turned up several cases of people losing their work. Creative endeavors aren't like spread sheets or video games. Inspiration & creativity are much harder, nigh impossible, to recreate then data entry, etc when glitches & unsecured data strike.

I remember some of the settings, the groove & melody, so I guess I can try to build it up again. But Korg has put a lot of eggs in the Gadget basket with the Mac version & the port to Nintendo's Switch, they seriously need to overhaul the project saving system or at very least have a pop up notification that prevents going into another project saying "Save current project?" or something.

Sorry to bitch...just a drag.

• I also love gadget, but I need an enema after using it. It’s sometimes too slick

• @Kühl said:
    I also love gadget, but I need an enema after using it. It’s sometimes too slick

@Kühl thats why I always mess with it even if to begin with it's not a "let's sit down & record a serious song". Love the multitude of tones & sound possibilities, the structure of the scene work flow is totally different than the standard DAW timeline and inspires different approaches.

But if I can't trust it to not shit can works in progress there's always going to be an uncomfortable process worrying stuff is going to disappear. I will just have to be extra careful & go full OCD when using it (back up to Dropbox, Files app and stereo export to AudioShare as well...

• @JRSIV said:

@Kühl said:
    I also love gadget, but I need an enema after using it. It’s sometimes too slick

@Kühl thats why I always mess with it even if to begin with it's not a "let's sit down & record a serious song". Love the multitude of tones & sound possibilities, the structure of the scene work flow is totally different than the standard DAW timeline and inspires different approaches.

But if I can't trust it to not shit can works in progress there's always going to be an uncomfortable process worrying stuff is going to disappear. I will just have to be extra careful & go full OCD when using it (back up to Dropbox, Files app and stereo export to AudioShare as well...

I back everything up on Dropbox & google disk. Better safe than sorry, sir :smiley:

• I found it useful that it doesn’t auto save today. I had had a patch on a Lexington Odyssey that I’d modified heavily from another of my patches, and forgot to save. I shifted the patch to a different one then quickly back and then realised it had never been saved. I hadn’t done much since the last save, so I simply ‘re-opened’ it again from the prior save and got back to the patch and then saved the patch! Didn’t lose more than a few minutes of edit other than that.