Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MAC: Best Audio File Edit app/program

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am that iOS music making exists. When I look and see Twisted Wave for $80, I realize how cheap these apps are so if some don't work 100% to my liking, then I need to get over it.

Anyway.

What do you use on your Mac for audio editing?

I basically am looking for something to trim waveforms for use with Circuit or for Animoog timbres.

At best, something to take a loop and cut out the high hat and kick, sending them to Ableton or Air Dropped to an iPad?

IF you are an Ableton user, do you use a special audio wave editor in Ableton? Which one?

Thanks y'all

Comments

• Audacity, does everything you need and more

• @Jocphone said:
    Audacity, does everything you need and more

Just about the only thing Audacity does not do well is to adjust the loop points of a wave-form and write the corresponding meta-data to the file :)

• @Samu said:

@Jocphone said:
    Audacity, does everything you need and more

Just about the only thing Audacity does not do well is to adjust the loop points of a wave-form and write the corresponding meta-data to the file :)

Never had to do that but the wealth of what it does do is fantastic. Ugly ui but massively useful.

• Triumph is my go to. You can use Ableton for this easy enough too if you already own it.

• edited March 2018

ocenaudio.com. Bom dia Brasil :)
    Better than any payware I've tried by now. Steinberg Wavelab might be better of course, but the price is a joke.
    I've stopped using Audacity because it stores all files in a proprietary format by default.
    I also stopped using Adobe Audition because it has become a much too bloated app that doesn't perform well enough for a quick everyday audio editor.

• edited March 2018

Ocenaudio with a super-cool UI:
    https://www.ocenaudio.com/features

• Ocenaudio is nice

• Ocenaudio

• @rs2000 audacity saves your projects in a proprietary format, as it should, if you want the audio you have to export, and it exports in pretty much every format (with the lame and ffmpeg plugins it even does mp3 and m4a)

• audio finder

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    audacity does all I need
    but I can't figure out how to batch convert a folder

The File->Chains > Apply Chain function might work for this but you'll have to create a chain with the proper actions first. (You need to select all the files in the folder first in order for it to work).

• I appreciate all the feedback.

• @powerobject - thanks for the tip on ocenaudio. I just downloaded it and like it a lot!

• edited March 2018

@pedro said:
    @rs2000 audacity saves your projects in a proprietary format, as it should, if you want the audio you have to export, and it exports in pretty much every format (with the lame and ffmpeg plugins it even does mp3 and m4a)

If you open an MP3 file in Audacity, make changes and export to an MP3 file again, doesn't it lose its resolution from more compression on an already compressed file unless it is a wav file?

• edited March 2018

You have control over how and what you export. Of course mp3 is lossy and garbage in garbage out. But it’s not audacity that is making you lose resolution. You can just export lossless, like wav or whatever, or set mp3 bitrate so high it’s practically the same.

• I use Fission from Rogue Amoeba, probably because it’s easy

• edited March 2018

@powerobject said:

@pedro said:
    @rs2000 audacity saves your projects in a proprietary format, as it should, if you want the audio you have to export, and it exports in pretty much every format (with the lame and ffmpeg plugins it even does mp3 and m4a)

If you open an MP3 file in Audacity, make changes and export to an MP3 file again, doesn't it lose its resolution from more compression on an already compressed file unless it is a wav file?

Audacity (or any audio editor) operates on the uncompressed Audio after decoding the mp3 source. This operation is based on content in the first place and not pure numbers, so it does indeed sum up on multiple repeats, but much less than you'd expect.
    (assuming that you use a quality encoder/decoder - not all of them are created equal)

• Here’s a thing about the audacity au folder and aup file metadata format. https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=73428

It is effectively a lossless storage with lots of separate metadata in the aup sidecar that relates to editing as well as the file itself, and it stores it as PCM chunks. The chunks are helpful for display and navigation and also to make sense of recovery in mid-edit in case of a crash.

The storage is IEEE 754, 32 bit float. This means that 2 + 1 = 3 is false. It is to all intents and purposes lossless.

I like audacity and use it a lot, mainly on linux, but I use it a lot on macOS too. On macOS it is totally unaware of nice things like two-finger dragging to go sideways, or anything that amounts to basic user interface niceness other than clicking and dragging of scrollbars and buttons. Despite that, I use it a lot on macOS.

• @u0421793 said:
    Here’s a thing about the audacity au folder and aup file metadata format. https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=73428

It is effectively a lossless storage with lots of separate metadata in the aup sidecar that relates to editing as well as the file itself, and it stores it as PCM chunks. The chunks are helpful for display and navigation and also to make sense of recovery in mid-edit in case of a crash.

The storage is IEEE 754, 32 bit float. This means that 2 + 1 = 3 is false. It is to all intents and purposes lossless.

I like audacity and use it a lot, mainly on linux, but I use it a lot on macOS too. On macOS it is totally unaware of nice things like two-finger dragging to go sideways, or anything that amounts to basic user interface niceness other than clicking and dragging of scrollbars and buttons. Despite that, I use it a lot on macOS.

I can scroll the timeline by swiping my Apple Magic Mouse in the latest version of Audacity. Used to have to hold down Shift but no more.

• For anyone on the 'dark side' - Windows :o this is a great deal for the next 10 days, includes Sound Forge Pro 11, a fantastic editor, https://www.humblebundle.com/software/magix-sounds-of-music-software?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_1

• Is there anything on iOS that can read Audacity files directly? (Where audacity files actually means a file and a separate folder, for each thing).

• I also use Audio Finder.
    It’s great if you are dealing with a big library of samples. The auto slicing is also very handy for cutting loops up into individual samples. I bought it once many years ago and have had access to updates ever since (maybe over 10 years).
    It’s ability to find duplicates based on audio signature is also great when you get “sample bundles” with gear and you want to identify samples that are the same sounds with different names.

• I use ocenaudio