Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS DAW poll

Comments

• @epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    And impc pro 2 and beathawk if you’re counting Beatmaker.

Well I honestly doubt anyone is using those as actual DAWs, but I'm happy to be corrected if wrong. Beatmaker is definitely more viable as a DAW, because it can load external instruments.

I’d like to know if people are using IMPC pro 2 as daw also. It seems to have AU host for instruments and fx. BM3 is only fx for now, so not very useful as a daw unless you don’t need midi recording of instruments. Once it gets that, I might start using it for recording... the interface is very straightforward and intuitive, and it doesn’t overwrite your projects automatically to name two things.

IMpc pro 2 is still getting there but actually doesnt host au fx, just instruments, BeatMaker 3 host both. BeatMaker also lets you use IAA's as instruments and generators , IMpc Pro 2 only lets you sample IAA. BeatMaker 3 is also Audiobus compatible, and it also lets you record 24bit audio vs IMpc Pro 2's 16 bit audio. IMO BM3 is way ahead of Impc Pro 2 right now. Mpc Pro 2 just added stem export but only to ITunes Sharing , BM3 supports the files app/Icloud Drive, DropBox, and BM3's sampler is much better too, you can layer samples. IMpc pro 2 has a lot of catching up to do. I was an MPC 2000 user for over 10 years, I hope IMpc Pro 2 can live up to the Akai name, I just dont think it does yet.

• My stuff is just about all audio. The bulk of what I do is in Auria Pro, but I still track guitars in MultiTrack DAW via AudioBus for the ease of use and quick setup.

• edited March 2018

i think beatmaker 2 and 3 should be 2 options. . they both are very VERY different, for me BM2 is (until there is not NS2) DAW choice 1, but BM3 pure nightmare which i will never use :)))

• @realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:
    I’m sure I can mix a beat down on iOS but I can’t do an entire session without some kind of pitch correction

Primary reason I use GB. If you set the project key correctly the integrated real-time pitch correction is as good as the one on desktop. However there’s no flex of course

The GarageBand pitch correction is cool but it still lacks a lot of control with what notes I want to bypass etc

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:
    I’m sure I can mix a beat down on iOS but I can’t do an entire session without some kind of pitch correction

Primary reason I use GB. If you set the project key correctly the integrated real-time pitch correction is as good as the one on desktop. However there’s no flex of course

The GarageBand pitch correction is cool but it still lacks a lot of control with what notes I want to bypass etc

Gotchya. WavesTune is at $29 on desktop. That same price would probably do well on iOS/AU if they could be convinced to give it a go.

• Auria #1 here, followed by n-Track Studio, and Cubasis a close 3rd. They all do similar things a little differently, and for me the winner is the best sounds with the least effort, crank and go. I can’t beat how awesome I can get things to sound with Auria. I’ve got 90% of the DAWs listed, but my results sound cheaper on those than they do on Auria.

• Nano Studio.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Not at all surprised that Cubasis is the most commonly used. Bigger (relatively) brand, desktop exposure, perhaps feels simpler for folks to get into, questions of cost etc etc.

It's great we've got so much choice in what is still a developing thingie.

Workflow for me, seeing so many YouTubers using it pushed me over the edge.

It hits the sweet spot, not to say I don't miss Auria and the FF stuff sometimes though (space restrictions mean I can't have them all).

• @realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Gotchya. WavesTune is at $29 on desktop. That same price would probably do well on iOS/AU if they could be convinced to give it a go.

I would use my mac a lot less if there as a good AUv3 pitch correction app. The autotune mobile app is cool but not powerful enough

• If I could marry bm3 sampler to GarageBand I would be in heaven. Only if GarageBand could get their head out of the sand it could dominate the market.

It was nice today to work in GarageBand and not have my iPad Pro drop 30 percent in an hour. Gadget and bm3 could take notes in battery consumption.

• @Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Well I honestly doubt anyone is using those as actual DAWs, but I'm happy to be corrected if wrong. Beatmaker is definitely more viable as a DAW, because it can load external instruments.

I’d like to know if people are using IMPC pro 2 as daw also. It seems to have AU host for instruments and fx. BM3 is only fx for now, so not very useful as a daw unless you don’t need midi recording of instruments. Once it gets that, I might start using it for recording... the interface is very straightforward and intuitive, and it doesn’t overwrite your projects automatically to name two things.

IMpc pro 2 is still getting there but actually doesnt host au fx, just instruments, BeatMaker 3 host both. BeatMaker also lets you use IAA's as instruments and generators , IMpc Pro 2 only lets you sample IAA. BeatMaker 3 is also Audiobus compatible, and it also lets you record 24bit audio vs IMpc Pro 2's 16 bit audio. IMO BM3 is way ahead of Impc Pro 2 right now. Mpc Pro 2 just added stem export but only to ITunes Sharing , BM3 supports the files app/Icloud Drive, DropBox, and BM3's sampler is much better too, you can layer samples. IMpc pro 2 has a lot of catching up to do. I was an MPC 2000 user for over 10 years, I hope IMpc Pro 2 can live up to the Akai name, I just dont think it does yet.

Thanks on the impc to bm3 comparison. They seem visually a bit similar, so I was wondering how they stack up.

As for BM3 supporting AU for instruments, I have BM3, but there’re only 3 options when you hit Add track: New Bank, Audio track, and Aux. There’s no midi track like in Cubasis/Auria, on which you can place an AU instrument and play/record that instrument from within BM3 as midi. ( @AudioGus ?) I’d like to be wrong though ;)

I find BM3 interface more intuitive than Cubasis & Auria. It feels like it’s designed for iPad where as Auria feels likea a straight pc port. The session management in BM3 is much more professional than in these two - no overwriting your projects without you doing so explicitly is a major plus for me. I had a discussion in another thread suggesting that Cubasis and Auria should implement explicit save + additional automatically saved “current” project. But folks suggest that this is due to Apple’s enforcing a certain policy... but now that I got BM3, it just does this exactly the way I mentioned.

• I think when it comes to DAWs (on iOS) it splits into two things: the actual daw features + the things/plugins it comes with. But the two are inseparable, so if you like BM3’s sampler you gotta get bm3, or to use Pro-q2 you gotta get Auria. But then using more than one DAW for single project can get confusing.

Pro-q2 is $30 pro-r $40, FabFilter Twin2 (padded into Pro’s price) And Auria itself is $25 if they just made all their plugins AU I wonder how that would reflect on the company’s overall revenue. Seems a total waste to go after this $25, when they lose a LOT more by making those plugins proprietary. Just these 3 alone would generate more money than their total (and I mean total) sales. Twin2 is one of the coolest (non wavetable) synths out there would sell like cupcakes at ~$15, and dropping the price of the other two to $20, I don’t think anyone would hesitate buying them.

• @epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Thanks on the impc to bm3 comparison. They seem visually a bit similar, so I was wondering how they stack up.

As for BM3 supporting AU for instruments, I have BM3, but there’re only 3 options when you hit Add track: New Bank, Audio track, and Aux. There’s no midi track like in Cubasis/Auria, on which you can place an AU instrument and play/record that instrument from within BM3 as midi. ( @AudioGus ?) I’d like to be wrong though ;)

I find BM3 interface more intuitive than Cubasis & Auria. It feels like it’s designed for iPad where as Auria feels likea a straight pc port. The session management in BM3 is much more professional than in these two - no overwriting your projects without you doing so explicitly is a major plus for me. I had a discussion in another thread suggesting that Cubasis and Auria should implement explicit save + additional automatically saved “current” project. But folks suggest that this is due to Apple’s enforcing a certain policy... but now that I got BM3, it just does this exactly the way I mentioned.

BM3 loads AU instruments on pads in a bank. Once you have a blank, press the three lines at the top left. Press plugins and you should see all of the supported AU instruments. Load one of them and close out of the header. Press on the keyboard icon and it should open the AU instrument. BM3 is the king of AU instruments and fx in my opinion

• @stormywaterz said:
    If I could marry bm3 sampler to GarageBand I would be in heaven. Only if GarageBand could get their head out of the sand it could dominate the market.

It was nice today to work in GarageBand and not have my iPad Pro drop 30 percent in an hour. Gadget and bm3 could take notes in battery consumption.

That would suite my needs perfectly too. GarageBand is not that far from being an all in one solution, at least for me. Even as it is now, if I had to stick with just one music app it would be GB. It doesn’t hurt that it’s also universal.

• @Keenan said:

@stormywaterz said:
    If I could marry bm3 sampler to GarageBand I would be in heaven. Only if GarageBand could get their head out of the sand it could dominate the market.

That would suite my needs perfectly too. GarageBand is not that far from being an all in one solution, at least for me. Even as it is now, if I had to stick with just one music app it would be GB. It doesn’t hurt that it’s also universal.

Even if they just update GarageBand sampler with live stretching that’s all I would care about really. There store isn’t bad but it could be a lot better. And it links up with logic perfectly thats great if I need it.

• @Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Any app that doesn't support AudioShare shouldn't be > @YZJustDatGuy said:

@realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

I would use my mac a lot less if there as a good AUv3 pitch correction app. The autotune mobile app is cool but not powerful enough

Don't know about Auria but BM3 and Cubasis can repitch audio while maintaining tempo. I use Cubasis, results vary with the complexity of the sound and you can only get a couple of semitones before the audio fidelity plummets.

• I voted Cubasis but I want/use Beatmaker 3 as much but its to complex sometimes..

• edited March 2018

I’ve recently deleted all my hosts except for BM3 as my main, Auria Pro used as a synth (or there if I ever wanted to mix down with the plugins and iMPC Pro 2 A’s a bit of fun to see how it develops.

First time in years I’ve deleted Gadget!

I get so much more done in BM3 and while it could do with a few changes, it is close to what I want to get tracks down quick.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

BM3 loads AU instruments on pads in a bank. Once you have a blank, press the three lines at the top left. Press plugins and you should see all of the supported AU instruments. Load one of them and close out of the header. Press on the keyboard icon and it should open the AU instrument. BM3 is the king of AU instruments and fx in my opinion

Wow, thanks a lot for this info! I did this and then went to Settings / Midi focus actions and deleted all of them. Then long-press on a track (D3 for example) and in midi setup for Port selected my external keyboard. It works nicely, but there seems to be no way to play multiple instruments using the same midi keyboard controller this way because you can’t switch monitoring on/off per track. Clicking on red recording circle has no effect, you can still hear all instruments triggered simultaneously. BM3 seems to want to focus on the pads. They’re just a convenient way of triggering sounds, like rollout keyboard.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Also, there seem to be major problems with BM3 use of drum sets - as each single instrument will be on its on track. So, you just cannot play a normal track in BM3 and if you created in BM3, you cannot use it in other Apps.

And I am still speechless about the useless CPU meter :o

• Auria Pro now deleted lol. I’m really thining down now!

• I find these polls don't work for me (and for quite a few other people too I'm sure). I prefer DAW-less workflow in iOS with AUM + (+AB3) + sequencers + hardware. So I think Dawless + AUM should be an option.

However I'll use the Main Daws for different reasons sometimes on different occasions with BM3 preferred over Auria Pro and Cubasis for track creation.

I hope AP gets AU midi soon :)

• edited March 2018

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Also, there seem to be major problems with BM3 use of drum sets - as each single instrument will be on its on track. So, you just cannot play a normal track in BM3 and if you created in BM3, you cannot use it in other Apps.

What does any of that even mean ?
    Each single instrument will be on its own track ?
    By instrument you mean drum sound in a kit ?
    If so then no they can be on their own track or part of a single track kit.
    Can not play a normal track in BM3 ?
    That makes absolutely no sense at all, what is a normal track ?
    If you create in BM3 you cant use elsewhere, yes you can, you save as a stem or export a sample.

What exactly are you talking about ?

• @tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

I agree about the CPU meter but BM3 loads drum sets as a bank of pads on one track. No problem there.

• @stormywaterz said:

@Keenan said:

@stormywaterz said:

Even if they just update GarageBand sampler with live stretching that’s all I would care about really. There store isn’t bad but it could be a lot better. And it links up with logic perfectly thats great if I need it.

Yea just a couple tweaks to the sampler would have a major impact. Seems like something that could easily appear in the next update

• tjatja
    edited March 2018

@Samplemunch said:

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

If you create in BM3 you cant use elsewhere, yes you can, you save as a stem or export a sample.

We already had about 3 topics around this.
    If you record a MIDI track from a drum kit in any other App, the instruments just get triggered by different notes / pitches.
    All of that in one track.

And this cannot be used in BM3!

The other way around, if you create a MIDI track from a drum kit in BM3, the instruments sit in on their own pad - giving them their own tracks.

You cannot use this in other DAWs.

There seem to be a workaround with focus, but I never fully understood that.

• @tja said:

@Samplemunch said:

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

If you record a MIDI track from a drum kit in any other App, the instruments just get triggered by different notes / pitches.

The other way around, if you create a MIDI track from a drum kit in BM3, the instruments sit in on their own pad - giving them their own tracks.

Are you saying you can’t pitch the sounds from a drum kit in a bank in BM3? Because that’s false

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Any app that doesn't support AudioShare shouldn't be > @YZJustDatGuy said:

@realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Don't know about Auria but BM3 and Cubasis can repitch audio while maintaining tempo. I use Cubasis, results vary with the complexity of the sound and you can only get a couple of semitones before the audio fidelity plummets.

Yea I’m aware but I’m more so looking for autotune for vocals

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@tja said:

@Samplemunch said:

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Are you saying you can’t pitch the sounds from a drum kit in a bank in BM3? Because that’s false

I am sorry, but don't understand your sentence.

I tried my best to explain the problem and also thought this had been discussed in several topics in this forum.
    Main part of this problem is, that the instruments are sitting on different pads.

As I said, there is a workaround with focus mapping (?) or something.

• @tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@tja said:

@Samplemunch said:

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

I am sorry, but don't understand your sentence.

I tried my best to explain the problem and also thought this had been discussed in several topics in this forum.
    Main part of this problem is, that the instruments are sitting on different pads.

As I said, there is a workaround with focus mapping (?) or something.

Are we talking about AU instruments or banks?