Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FabFilter Pro L2 is coming to Auria soon

This is from Rim on the Auria forum:

I just received Pro-L2 from FabFilter and will be adding this to the next update. I hope to have it submitted to Apple next week!

Comments

• It is really the era of mastering apps...to my ears, pro-L is already 20 years in advance to any other limiter...pro-L 2 will just be a must...

• Well you can certainly push Pro L much harder than most other limiters on iOS before it distorts - not that you should, but the option is there.

• edited March 2018

Looking forward to this arriving, and hopefully seeing some kind of upgrade deal.

• The trouble is if you're rubbish at mastering etc (self) the differences between a 1 and a 2 seem infinitesimal....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The trouble is if you're rubbish at mastering etc (self) the differences between a 1 and a 2 seem infinitesimal....

>

I submit, JG, that it is almost impossible to be rubbish at mastering, using the many expertly made starting points that come with all FF products.

As for the differences, it’s enough to make it interesting, but maybe not enough, for us that already bought Pro-L, to shell out top dollar.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The trouble is if you're rubbish at mastering etc (self) the differences between a 1 and a 2 seem infinitesimal....

I'll just repost what I said in another thread a couple of day ago here, just replace "Grand Finale" with "Pro L 2":

IMO if you're "mastering" your own tracks, the one and only thing you should set out to do is to achieve a desired loudness level, and LUFS is the most useful and up-to-date method for achieving this.

So what I would suggest is that you add Grand Finale to your Master bus (or alternatively use it as a stand-alone on a finished mix), and adjust the gain so that your track is around -14 LUFS and leave the other controls alone :)

Because if you've mixed your track and are happy with it, why mess with EQ etc at the mastering stage? Doesn't make sense, if the EQ needs fixing do that in the mix. Of course if you're mastering other people's music and you don't have the mix files then of course it makes more sense to have additional controls. But for your own work the one and only application for this kind of app (IMO of course) is to reach a target volume level without clipping. It's a final limiting stage at the end of the chain, and that's it.

But just to add to the above, Pro L and Pro L2 have some nice additional features that ensure that the quality of your sound remains high even if you push the limiter quite hard: oversampling, look-ahead, multiple algorithms working simultaneously etc...

I tested Maxima on the master bus in Auria last night, and compared it to Pro L, and Maxima distorts audibly with even modest amounts of gain, whereas Pro L can be pushed much harder before your hear distortion. I don't own Grand Finale, but I might pick it up to compare.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Looking forward to this arriving, and hopefully seeing some kind of upgrade deal.

There was an upgrade deal for both Pro C and Pro Q when they went to version 2. I've asked Rim about this on the Auria forum and he is waiting for an answer from FabFilter. My guess is that there probably will be something.

• @richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I'll just repost what I said in another thread a couple of day ago here, just replace "Grand Finale" with "Pro L 2":

IMO if you're "mastering" your own tracks, the one and only thing you should set out to do is to achieve a desired loudness level, and LUFS is the most useful and up-to-date method for achieving this.

So what I would suggest is that you add Grand Finale to your Master bus (or alternatively use it as a stand-alone on a finished mix), and adjust the gain so that your track is around -14 LUFS and leave the other controls alone :)

Because if you've mixed your track and are happy with it, why mess with EQ etc at the mastering stage? Doesn't make sense, if the EQ needs fixing do that in the mix. Of course if you're mastering other people's music and you don't have the mix files then of course it makes more sense to have additional controls. But for your own work the one and only application for this kind of app (IMO of course) is to reach a target volume level without clipping. It's a final limiting stage at the end of the chain, and that's it.

But just to add to the above, Pro L and Pro L2 have some nice additional features that ensure that the quality of your sound remains high even if you push the limiter quite hard: oversampling, look-ahead, multiple algorithms working simultaneously etc...

I tested Maxima on the master bus in Auria last night, and compared it to Pro L, and Maxima distorts audibly with even modest amounts of gain, whereas Pro L can be pushed much harder before your hear distortion. I don't own Grand Finale, but I might pick it up to compare.

Very curious about the settings you used in Maxima and the context of your test. In Maxima you have a set of feature to take care of the quality: you have a detector toggle going from slow to instantaneous in addition to the reset time knob. INST + reset to 0ms will lead to issues for sure in some context - on the other hand if you want to finalize your track the preset Master (La Donna) is always a good start ;)

• @richardyot said:
    There was an upgrade deal for both Pro C and Pro Q when they went to version 2. I've asked Rim about this on the Auria forum and he is waiting for an answer from FabFilter. My guess is that there probably will be something.

>

Okay, thanks for that, will keep watching that space.

• @FredAntonCorvest said:

@richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Very curious about the settings you used in Maxima and the context of your test. In Maxima you have a set of feature to take care of the quality: you have a detector toggle going from slow to instantaneous in addition to the reset time knob. INST + reset to 0ms will lead to issues for sure in some context - on the other hand if you want to finalize your track the preset Master (La Donna) is always a good start ;)

Thanks - that's really useful to know. I will test again with your suggestions and report back.

• This is interesting. FabFilter are sticking with Auria Pro. Who here still uses Auria Pro as their main DAW? Or is Auria Pro more of a mastering host for FF?

• @Beathoven said:
    This is interesting. FabFilter are sticking with Auria Pro. Who here still uses Auria Pro as their main DAW? Or is Auria Pro more of a mastering host for FF?

Not a pissing contest. No need. I like Cubasis and use it for this and that, but whenever the game's afoot I open Auria.

• @Beathoven said:
    This is interesting. FabFilter are sticking with Auria Pro. Who here still uses Auria Pro as their main DAW? Or is Auria Pro more of a mastering host for FF?

I think the world is evenly divided. Judging by SOTMC I would say quite a few us are using Auria Pro as our main DAW, but plenty of others are also using Cubasis and BM3.

I own all 3, but prefer to use Auria for mixing. BM3 is an awesome sampler, and Cubasis is nice and immediate, but IMO Auria is just more powerful and flexible for mixing. YMMV.

But with regards to FabFilter, this is a conversation that's been had plenty of times - the port to Auria is technically easy for them (it's just a VST wrapper) so creating the Auria version isn't very resource intensive, which means they can do it cheaply.

• Interesting.
    Would be good for BM3 and Cubasis also to be a VST wrapper :-)

• @richardyot said:

@FredAntonCorvest said:

@richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Thanks - that's really useful to know. I will test again with your suggestions and report back.

Quite curious about your results

• edited March 2018

@Beathoven said:
    This is interesting. FabFilter are sticking with Auria Pro. Who here still uses Auria Pro as their main DAW?

>

RTM do. But we also like and use Cubasis, and own BM3. :) Would love to be able to use FF in Cubasis, BM3 and AUM.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Beathoven said:

Not a pissing contest. No need. I like Cubasis and use it for this and that, but whenever the game's afoot I open Auria.

Not sure what you mean by a pissing contest. I was curious if people’s use of Auria had changed. I get the feeling a lot of people now use BM3 as their main workhorse DAW, but the quality of FabFilter’s plugins in Auria Pro could be cause for people to utilise it for mastering.

• My gut feeling is there are probably more people using Auria as a DAW than BM3. A lot of people use BM3 as a sampler rather than a DAW. I like BM3 a lot, but I can't see myself mixing full tracks in it.

• Well, to satisfy my curiosity, I've started a new thread with a poll to see which DAWs people actually use and prefer. I have a feeling it will be pretty evenly spread between the big 3 (Auria/Cubasis/BM3)

• edited March 2018

I still use Auria as my main DAW when I’m set to doing serious tracks. I get the feeling I’m one of the few on here whose music is based on guitar/bass/vocals though (I do use fake drum machines).

Never got into BM3, don’t care to. Auria, for all its flaws, is perfect for me and boasts the best mixing tools. Occasionally I’ll pull out Cubasis for sketches, but I’m not really sure why; I find it limiting when it’s time to get ‘serious’.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I still use Auria as my main DAW when I’m set to doing serious tracks. I get the feeling I’m one of the few on here whose music is based on guitar/bass/vocals though (I do use fake drum machines).

Lots of people here using regular instruments - you should check out the SOTMC threads, there's a wide variety of genres here, not just electronica, and plenty of guitarists.

• @richardyot said:

@oat_phipps said:

Lots of people here using regular instruments - you should check out the SOTMC threads, there's a wide variety of genres here, not just electronica, and plenty of guitarists.

It won't be a Sooper Sekrit & Exclusif Club if you keep telling everyone about it....

• @Beathoven said:

According to prioridata (app sales tracking platform), Auria used to be the best selling DAW by quite a margin until BM3 was launched. Since then, BM3 is the first by a comfortable margin, while Auria is in the second place. That doesn’t mean BM3 has a larger user base - after all, Auria is around for way longer - but it is selling more right now.

• I love the ease of editing audio in Auria. Easy as pie to add fades, slice, copy, move, crossfade. I should use it more than I do really.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I love the ease of editing audio in Auria. Easy as pie to add fades, slice, copy, move, crossfade. I should use it more than I do really.

Yes, that's a big part of my workflow. Shunting things along to create an arrangement, slicing vocals up, fading in and out, changing the level of a section of audio, crossfades etc...

• Bring it on since I’ve already mastered version one....ha

• @Zen210507 said:

>

I submit, JG, that it is almost impossible to be rubbish at mastering, using the many expertly made starting points that come with all FF products.

Thats a Bingo! as colonel Hans Landa would say..

• edited March 2018

Yeah, I’ve come to see mastering as a waste of money to pay someone else to do if you have the tools. I’d like to eventually get comfortable mixing to do it all myself, there’s still a lot of value in paying a more well-trained set of ears to mix.

Not trying to knock anyone on here who does make money off of solely ‘mastering’ projects, but on the scale I’m making albums (a few thousand listeners and almost 0 income off it), it’s just not prudent for me to shell out money for.