Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How Can I get Best Bass Sound From iFretless?

Guys finally got the Jamstik to work great. I’m not a Bass player but I’m trying. Loaded up iFretless into AUM but it sounded tiny. What do you recommend to add as far as inserts and stuff to make it sound great for some contemporary worship music or just regular rock, pop style songs. Thanks guys!

Comments

• edited March 2018

• Usually some compression sounds good on bass. Makes it tighter and punchier, and evens out some volume anomalies you get with bass notes occasionally.
    But eh, you prolly knew that one. :)

• Thanks! Actually I’ve been so concerned about my tone for Electric guitar that I’ve never really concentrated on Bass. I’ll use Maxima for it as I find it the best sounding Limiter compressor, if you have it what settings would you recommend?

L> @CracklePot said:

Usually some compression sounds good on bass. Makes it tighter and punchier, and evens out some volume anomalies you get with bass notes occasionally.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks! Actually I’ve been so concerned about my tone for Electric guitar that I’ve never really concentrated on Bass. I’ll use Maxima for it as I find it the best sounding Limiter compressor, if you have it what settings would you recommend?

L> @CracklePot said:

Usually some compression sounds good on bass. Makes it tighter and punchier, and evens out some volume anomalies you get with bass notes occasionally.

I haven’t tried Maxima on my bass git yet, but I will try to later today.
    In general though, you probably don’t want to overdo the compression. I usually add just enough to even out the overall tone throughout the note range, and add a little to beef up or fatten the sound. The more you add, the more aggressive the bass starts to get, at least in my interpretation. It’s like more compression = tighter fist, if that makes any sense.
    @FredAntonCorvest may have some settings suggestions for using Maxima on bass guitar tones. I will try to play around with that setup today. I think it is going to be good, since it is Maxima after all. :)

• Thanks! I appreciate it! :) Yeah the Bass has been basically my 2nd hardest instrument to play other than drums. I’m getting the hang of drums thanks to the superb GR-16, but now I’ve come to grips with Bass and I’m a bit clueless. :#

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks! I appreciate it! :) Yeah the Bass has been basically my 2nd hardest instrument to play other than drums. I’m getting the hang of drums thanks to the superb GR-16, but now I’ve come to grips with Bass and I’m a bit clueless. :#

Always enjoy hearing other people’s experiencing with bass after being mainly a guitar player. I played guitar for 15 years before I picked up the bass, but the bass just clicked with me. Everyone I know agreed too; any decent paying gigs or studio work I’ve had came on my bass reputation, even though I’ve never even owned one to this date so I’ve never been able to even practice on one.

I think for me it’s more a melodic thing and finding the best way to bridge the main chords and parts of a song together. It’s definitely not a rhythm thing for me in that I’m a terrible drummer, but the feeling of locking in with a drummer is incomparable to anything else I’ve ever done live musically.

I feel the way you do about bass about the keys, though. It just hasn’t clicked. Anyway, feel free to ignore this post, it’s just 2am half-drunken rambling.

• @CracklePot said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks! Actually I’ve been so concerned about my tone for Electric guitar that I’ve never really concentrated on Bass. I’ll use Maxima for it as I find it the best sounding Limiter compressor, if you have it what settings would you recommend?

L> @CracklePot said:

In general though, you probably don’t want to overdo the compression. I usually add just enough to even out the overall tone throughout the note range, and add a little to beef up or fatten the sound. The more you add, the more aggressive the bass starts to get, at least in my interpretation. It’s like more compression = tighter fist, if that makes any sense.
    @FredAntonCorvest may have some settings suggestions for using Maxima on bass guitar tones. I will try to play around with that setup today. I think it is going to be good, since it is Maxima after all. :)

So from what I've heard from bassists is that FAC Chorus has become an essential part of their setup, don't know if you know Frederick King ?

Then to come back to your initial question. Bass, and due to its frequency range of course, is always a bit tricky and its for this reason that I've prepared the preset "Sub Bass Max" - you will notice one more time that the detector is set to SLOW and the reset is high. I will start for sure with this preset :)

Note that I take pride in ensuring versatility in my product line, providing subtle to drastic changes. So I tend to cover most of the territories with the presets I provide :)

• Sweet! Thanks Fred, I’ll try that out and also add FAC chorus to the Bass, I heard this morning the Bass player at church add chorus to his Bass and it sounded magestic!

@FredAntonCorvest said:

@CracklePot said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

L> @CracklePot said:

So from what I've heard from bassists is that FAC Chorus has become an essential part of their setup, don't know if you know Frederick King ?

Then to come back to your initial question. Bass, and due to its frequency range of course, is always a bit tricky and its for this reason that I've prepared the preset "Sub Bass Max" - you will notice one more time that the detector is set to SLOW and the reset is high. I will start for sure with this preset :)

Note that I take pride in ensuring versatility in my product line, providing subtle to drastic changes. So I tend to cover most of the territories with the presets I provide :)

• @FredAntonCorvest said:

@CracklePot said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

L> @CracklePot said:

Thank you for weighing in on the bass questions. I have some new things to try per your suggestions, and your effects plugins are truly magic. :)

• FYI, I have never been able to get rich, deep tones out of iFretless. I'm probably doing something wrong but I simply can't dial in the tone I hear in my head (or get from analog basses/amps). For MIDI bass, I usually pair a sample with a deep synth bass.

• @MusicMan4Christ Try to figure out what type of role you want your playing to fill, and that will guide you to the right style, technique, or whatever. Different types of music and different vibes will usually dictate the role of the bass, as you can hear just by paying attention to the bass on a number of different tracks from different genres.
    Dance oriented up tempo usually has a grooving bass, with more variations as you go more funky or jazzy. Rock usually holds down roots, creating a good counter rhythm with the drums. Maybe throw in some octaves, fifths, occasional thirds or flat seventh, maybe build a little riff type rock groove. This is all a broad generalization, of course. :)
    You can also think more like the left hand of a piano player. Then you can really do anything : hold down the rhythm, fill out or anchor the chord movement, play arpeggiated repeating patterns, play counter melodies to the main melody, etc. This is the way I try to approach the role of the bass. I only think of those gernre specific roles if I am attempting to work in or evoke a specific genre, which is not usually not the case. But I might also think of those things and try to apply the wrong style to what I am doing because sometimes that can work out in unexpected ways too.
    Anyway, I’m sure you will be having a lot of fun adding the bass to your arsenal of instruments. It is a lot different experience than playing bass on keys, at least for me.
    The feel of the fat strings and the rumbling vibes of the bass body add a lot to the experience. B)

• Awesome advice! I guess I became to dependent on the Bass being played by the Arranger keyboards. But the idea of like when I play the chords with left hand fits perfectly cause I always do that and it feels perfectly when playing along with a great rock groove. Will try that. :)