Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VOLT Expressive Midi Synth with FULL MPE Support - Pre Release iPad Demo

I have no idea when VOLT will be released but it is brilliant and sounds epic.

This is from developer Kai Aras

Comments

• Cheers Doug, yes this sounds really good.

• Sounds and looks great.

Does this have full 5D capability like ROLI's Equator?

If so, which other iPad synths have this special MPE capability? Computer synths?

Thanks!

• @Reid Yes this does, and Moog Model 15 and Animoog, Zeeon is getting it soon, I'm sure there are more.

And in the desktop Strobe2 does and BitWig supports MPE now too, not sure what else but more will be added as time goes on

• Those leads! :*

• Looks and sounds cool!

Wonder how much stuff is 'hidden' or 'gesture based' (ie. assign source->destination for modulations), does it do 2 oscillators for sync-type sounds(or FM & RingMod?), does the arp have 'note-repeat' for classic 80s octave bass lines dum dum, dam dam one finger bass lines?

This will be interesting to check out regardless once it hits the AppStore :)

• Well that sure was more impressive than the original company video

• Awesome! You had me at MPE!

• Great demo Doug. Pretty smart of the developer to embrace MPE, otherwise, it would just be another iOS synth. Well, actually the first parts of the demo with regular midi keyboard were pretty awesome too, so it does seem like it has something unique to bring to the AppStore?!

• edited March 2018

Tell Kai he misspelled "rhythmic" and "atmospheric".

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @Reid Yes this does, and Moog Model 15 and Animoog, Zeeon is getting it soon, I'm sure there are more.

Thumbjam and Geoshred both have MPE already.

• Major yum! Thanks Doug, great demo!

• Thanks for all the cool comments, Kai has plated some more info on RUSTiKs thread

• Sounds so crazy with all of that MPE stuff going on! B) That seaboard block is pretty compact, I like that.
    I am dum when it comes to GeoShread MPE out support, but could you control this with that?

• edited March 2018

@Reid said:
    Sounds and looks great.

Does this have full 5D capability like ROLI's Equator?

If so, which other iPad synths have this special MPE capability? Computer synths?

Thanks!

https://support.roli.com/article/mpe-compatible-synthesisers/

But there are much more you can play with polyphonic expressions like all U-he synths or in general you could do this with every major DAW.
    Just use one instance per midi channel. I often prefer this because i can have also polyphonic FX then :)
    But indeed there are not much with „5D“. Velocity release is missing. Also no synth has more to offer here than Equator.

• Thanks for the link @Cib

All very interesting. Doug you are making me want a Seaboard Block, something I've never considered before.
    I suppose this will be like Ableton Link and Audio Units. Gradually more synths will add the capability.

But I think Volt is a very appealing synth even without a Roli.

• @Reid Oh yes, VOLT is great just with an ordinary midi controller, it just has lot to offer in all departments

• Some great things going on with this, and MPE is a major plus point for me.

• edited March 2018

Hey guys,

VOLT dev here.

First of all, great demo Doug, a joy to watch, as always!

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Tell Kai he misspelled "rhythmic" and "atmospheric".

noted! :p

@Samu said:
    Looks and sounds cool!

Wonder how much stuff is 'hidden' or 'gesture based' (ie. assign source->destination for modulations), does it do 2 oscillators for sync-type sounds(or FM & RingMod?), does the arp have 'note-repeat' for classic 80s octave bass lines dum dum, dam dam one finger bass lines?

I think I've already commented on the arp, and the FM/Sync question in Rustiks thread but let me share a couple of words on what VOLT is supposed to be and what it's not.

Starting with what it's not, VOLT isn't the "one to rule them all" monster synth that attempts to do everything, in fact it's quite the opposite.

The overall goal for VOLT was to build an expressive poly synth that does the majority of classic subtractive analog sounds, does them well and most of all is fun & easy to use.

Now, with that in mind I built VOLT to sound, look and feel as much as a 'real' instrument as possible which means you get exactly what you see. There are no hidden gestures, no menus, no complicated things to remember, just one front panel and the controls on it.

As for mod routings, the mod-matrix is fixed with 'hard wired' panel controls. Color coding separates main controls (orange) from mod controls (grey) much like on an OB6 or similar hard synth.

Feature wise there are loads of little things to make up for it's overall simplicity like a detunable sub and/or chorus for 2osc sounds, audio rate and keytracking on the LFO for FM sounds, loopable mod envelope and many more.

Sonically it doesn't try to emulate a specific classic, the filter is a SEM style SVF tho so it naturally leans a bit towards that.

Also, it's built with MPE in mind but just as much attention went into supporting regular MIDI keyboards with easy mod wheel remapping, pitch wheel range, channel aftertouch and even poly aftertouch, so it should be a joy to play no matter what.

@CracklePot said:
    Sounds so crazy with all of that MPE stuff going on! B) That seaboard block is pretty compact, I like that.
    I am dum when it comes to GeoShread MPE out support, but could you control this with that?

Yup, MPE is the best thing ever! :) but to answer your question, anything that sends MPE should do, it also comes with it's own MPE capable onscreen keyboard (although it only does slide and glide).

• For all those worried about the lack of OSCs, I once had an Akai synth (borrowed) with a single OSC and it made some lovely sounds.

This synth peaks my interest trying something in a bit of a different way and so glad to see it’s AU

• I’m having trouble deciphering the date at the end of this teaser. It sounds amazing. Anyone know when it’s out?

• Since the numbers are mostly hexadecimal I'd say it will be out on the 29th of March 2018 :)

• I’ve been beta testing this for what seems like forever ;) the sound quality has evolved to a point so rich and complex, that I think it ranks up there in the top 5 iOS synths.

I’m a fan of all Kai’s apps, but VOLT is my favorite :)

• @skiphunt said:
    I’ve been beta testing this for what seems like forever ;) the sound quality has evolved to a point so rich and complex, that I think it ranks up there in the top 5 iOS synths.

I’m a fan of all Kai’s apps, but VOLT is my favorite :)

But your good opinion is rarely bestowed and therefore more worth the earning

• @Samu said:
    Since the numbers are mostly hexadecimal I'd say it will be out on the 29th of March 2018 :)

Here I had heard what he had heard, I had seen what he had seen, and yet from his words it was evident that he saw clearly not only what had happened, but what was about to happen, while to me the whole business was still confused.

• edited April 2018

Kai, we'd love to setup GeoShred (an MPE controller) to control Volt. Please reach out to us at [email protected] . We typically do video application notes for this type of interface, shared on social media (see our other application notes )

• @moForte said:
    Kai, we'd love to setup GeoShred (an MPE controller) to control Volt. Please reach out to us at [email protected] . We typically do video application notes for this type of interface, shared on social media (see our other application notes )

Please do that! I have been unable to link Volt and Geoshred.

• The new full on screen keyboard modes are truly epic great expressive experience best MPE experience on iOS. Recommended.

• Kai, I just setup GeoShred to control Volt.

Can you reach out to me at [email protected]? I have some questions about the MPE implementation.

Pat Scandalis CEO/CTO moForte Inc.

• Wow thanks for stopping by! The best guitar app in ththe world!

****> @moForte said:

Kai, I just setup GeoShred to control Volt.

Can you reach out to me at [email protected]? I have some questions about the MPE implementation.

Pat Scandalis CEO/CTO moForte Inc.

• Does Volt have a manual?