Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grand Finale - by Klevgrand

Comments

• @waynerowand said:
    @Arpseechord How’s the fix?

Just opened the app with the new update, went to import from audioshare one of my songs, so far so good, then I did a fairly quick mastering using all parameters, very good so far. When I was satisfied I went for export, so it prepares the file, worked fine no bumps or crashing. Then the popup for where I wanted to export it to which was back to Audioshare and after a short wait voila Audioshare opened and there was the mastered file. I listened to it on headphones and the result is very very good indeed
    I give this app my seal of approval :)

• edited February 2018

@Arpseechord Thanks for the news! I popped on it. No problem importing or exporting either. Dead simple to use and sounds fantastic! One quibble though, as with Wizibel, I can’t find a way to clear the old file. It just sits there. For a 25 minute 44/24 ambient track, that’s about 400 meg. Periodically I have to delete and reinstall Wizibel to free up space. Same thing with this? @sundhage

• I really like this, very simple to use and gives great results. Sure other apps like Final Touch might give you more knobs to twist, but this is so much easier to use and get good results from. Also love how on the iPad, every parameter is right there in front of you.

• It works very well and I'm very happy that the export issue is now taken care of.

One thing, and this is more about me than about the app - I'm noticing that my synths/mixes tend to "top out" at a certain level anyway (at least on some material), so my first couple of attempts to master a song were a little too squished, even with fairly light treatment. I might just skip the limiter altogether for finishing songs.

• @waynerowand said:
    @Arpseechord Thanks for the news! I popped on it. No problem importing or exporting either. Dead simple to use and sounds fantastic! One quibble though, as with Wizibel, I can’t find a way to clear the old file. It just sits there. For a 25 minute 44/24 ambient track, that’s about 400 meg. Periodically I have to delete and reinstall Wizibel to free up space. Same thing with this? @sundhage

Would importing a small file and saving it serve to clear out the spacee without having to resort to a reinstall? Just a thought...

• @wim I wish that would work. It seems that with Wizibel it's cumulative. At least according to the system app. I'll work on a bunch of vids and then Wizibel will show 2-3 gigs in storage. I' m teaching right now but I'll see if finale behaves the same when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion!

• @wim said:

@waynerowand said:

Would importing a small file and saving it serve to clear out the spacee without having to resort to a reinstall? Just a thought...

This could indeed be a problem but i wonder if simply starting a new project in Grand Finale would clear it.

• @Peter321 said:
    I really like this, very simple to use and gives great results. Sure other apps like Final Touch might give you more knobs to twist, but this is so much easier to use and get good results from. Also love how on the iPad, every parameter is right there in front of you.

Exactly. No hassle. It just works :)

• edited March 2018

Just skimmed the thread but saw no mention of forthcoming AU which is a shame. Would be nice for mastering collections of tracks if it did.

• edited March 2018

@wim Just ran through a few larger files, you are spot on correct. It’s only hanging on to the last file processed. Thanks! I’ll try to remember to run the smallest file last.

• edited March 2018

Liking this a lot. And I think there’s much here to learn if you’ve never done a lot of mastering type processes, as I myself have not. My ears aren’t quite to the level of nailing multi band compressor settings but I see this as a wonderful friendly interface with which to get there. And also it’s on iPhone and can make things loud

• @waynerowand said:
    @wim Just ran through a few larger files, you are spot on correct. It’s only hanging on to the last file processed. Thanks! I’ll try to remember to run the smallest file last.

Or just make one really small file and run it after each session.

• @waynerowand said:

Unfortunately, you cannot make the current "state" empty. A workaround is (as @wim suggested) is to import a small file when you're done.

• Have to say thanks to all for the patience folks. I felt like a total idiot when I read the first report and successfully reproduced it on my device. It's still a mystery why that single line of code disappeared, it might have been the cat taking a walk on the keyboard.

• @sundhage said:

@waynerowand said:

Unfortunately, you cannot make the current "state" empty. A workaround is (as @wim suggested) is to import a small file when you're done.

Could you PLEASE add some “Clean” button?

• @sundhage said:
    Have to say thanks to all for the patience folks. I felt like a total idiot when I read the first report and successfully reproduced it on my device. It's still a mystery why that single line of code disappeared, it might have been the cat taking a walk on the keyboard.

Its only a tiny "Cat"astrophe. It happens to us all. ;)

• edited March 2018

Thank goodness it wasn’t a “Cat”ch 22!

• edited March 2018

@sundhage said:

@waynerowand said:

Why not a clear button of some sort? “Clear session”?

And also background audio for the use of reference tracks

• @db909 said:

@sundhage said:

@waynerowand said:

Why not a clear button of some sort? “Clear session”?

And also background audio for the use of reference tracks

Thanks for the app. Love it.

Suggestion: how about defaulting to the name of the imported file when the export ‘name’ dialog box comes up?

• The website says “Use the meters to monitor and and adjust your output level to whatever destination (for example, YouTube recommends -14 LUFS)”

Not sure how you would limit to a specific LUFS value like -14?There is no peak reading on the meters and the scale only show a range from -18...-12

• I can not find the program in iTunes.
    Where are all my files?
    and please make IAA

• I honestly don’t understand why IAA would be necessary.

• @Mark B said:
    The website says “Use the meters to monitor and and adjust your output level to whatever destination (for example, YouTube recommends -14 LUFS)”

Not sure how you would limit to a specific LUFS value like -14?There is no peak reading on the meters and the scale only show a range from -18...-12

Good point - it would be nice if a "PEAK LUFS" value was displayed when changing the meters to LUFS

• @Mark B said:
    The website says “Use the meters to monitor and and adjust your output level to whatever destination (for example, YouTube recommends -14 LUFS)”

-14 LUFS would not be the peak, but the average. So basically you adjust the gain so that on average your track reads -14 LUFS. Note that this will be considerably less "loud" than CD style Loudness Wars masters, because streaming platforms have killed the loudness wars by normalising everything to -14 or -12 LUFS.

It also means that the limiter won't be working so hard and there is going to be less distortion in the final mix. It's all good basically.

• I’m all for the loudness war being over. It may need to have an average readout then which is missing at the moment.

• I like how this sounds, and I would love to see some manual controls added. At least a way to select the frequencies for the EQ, or some of the compressor settings exposed.
    Regarding the LUFS meter, it would be nice to be able to get an average reading over a period of time, instead of instant reading.

• I'm heavily swayed towards this, but Maxima released at the same time and got me all kinds of confused. Is there a reason to choose Maxima over this?

PLEASE DON'T SAY GET BOTH. PLEASE DON'T SAY GET BOTH. PLEASE DON'T SAY GET BOTH.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I honestly don’t understand why IAA would be necessary.

For example for two things:
    to send a sound signal to the computer via StudioMux
    and for monitoring and analyzing spectrum, waveform, etc., through audiobus.

• @Jocphone said:
    I'm heavily swayed towards this, but Maxima released at the same time and got me all kinds of confused. Is there a reason to choose Maxima over this?

PLEASE DON'T SAY GET BOTH. PLEASE DON'T SAY GET BOTH. PLEASE DON'T SAY GET BOTH.

I would get this one, for the LUFS metering alone.

IMO if you're "mastering" your own tracks, the one and only thing you should set out to do is to achieve a desired loudness level, and LUFS is the most useful and up-to-date method for achieving this.

So what I would suggest is that you add Grand Finale to your Master bus (or alternatively use it as a stand-alone on a finished mix), and adjust the gain so that your track is around -14 LUFS and leave the other controls alone :)

Because if you've mixed your track and are happy with it, why mess with EQ etc at the mastering stage? Doesn't make sense, if the EQ needs fixing do that in the mix. Of course if you're mastering other people's music and you don't have the mix files then of course it makes more sense to have additional controls. But for your own work the one and only application for this kind of app (IMO of course) is to reach a target volume level without clipping. It's a final limiting stage at the end of the chain, and that's it.

• I agree that you should try to get as close to the sound you want in your DAW - but what I find is very useful, at least for my Gadget tracks, is the stereo processing. It can really open up a track so it sound less like "home sequencer" and more like a finished release.