Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the best camera connection kit that also powers the iPad?

and is there a consensus on where the best place to purchase these things is?

Comments

• I bought the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. It's worked well with MIDI controllers, USB audio interfaces or both connected via a powered hub so the music never stops. A bonus has been that several MIDI controllers that used to give me the device doesn't have enough power to run them messages, no longer do so.

Personally, I'd be wary of getting non-Apple approved versions of a powered CCK as people got mixed results with the non-powered versions and the addition of power and Apple's proprietary ways seems it may be harder to get it right. The non-Apple powered CCK may not support USB 3 either so if you ever get a device with USB 3, you may wish you had the extra speed of USB 3.

• Yep. The latest Apple one is decent, although expensive. But at least it's guaranteed to work.

• My experience is: cough up for the genuine Apple thing or risk a world of incompatibilities and issues with every peripheral and after every iOS update. It's unfortunate but true :D

• @Sebastian said:
    Yep. The latest Apple one is decent, although expensive. But at least it's guaranteed to work.

But unfortunately it supplies less power to a connected hub than the old usb->lightning cck... :(

• @Samu said:

@Sebastian said:
    Yep. The latest Apple one is decent, although expensive. But at least it's guaranteed to work.

But unfortunately it supplies less power to a connected hub than the old usb->lightning cck... :(

Makes sense though. coz its charging the ipad. the ipad literally drinks power while charging.....
    1 workaround i have is to get a battery bank with 2 usb ports. and connect the lightening cable to one
    and the powered hub to the 2nd. this way everything is powered no probs and still portable :)

• ok thanks for the info folks.

• @kobamoto said:
    ok thanks for the info folks.

this is the one you should get:- http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

wherever you buy from make sure it matches the model no and looks this this.

• Another advantage of the power-bank approach is no noise interference. At my home, as soon as I attach power to the cck, I get bad buzzing through all my audio interfaces. No amount of surge protection, changing plugs around, etc. can get rid of it. But if I plug in the power bank it's completely silent. I can even have the power bank itself charging at the time and there is no buzz.

Just a tip in case you experience noise with the Apple USB 3.0 adapter. It's a known issue that happens to some and not to others.

• @wim I would also have frequent electrical noise problems if I used an iRig type input through the headphone input and tried charging the device through wall power.

• @InfoCheck Yeh, AC noise has been the bane of my (musical) existence for years. The first time I hooked up to that ol' battery bank instead of the wall and there as just dead silence was like heaven.

• @wim said:
    Another advantage of the power-bank approach is no noise interference. At my home, as soon as I attach power to the cck, I get bad buzzing through all my audio interfaces. No amount of surge protection, changing plugs around, etc. can get rid of it. But if I plug in the power bank it's completely silent. I can even have the power bank itself charging at the time and there is no buzz.

Just a tip in case you experience noise with the Apple USB 3.0 adapter. It's a known issue that happens to some and not to others.

That is brilliant, I'm doing that asap!

• I want to get a truck battery and power the whole studio. On my boat. In the middle of the Venice lagoon. I only need the battery and a suitable way to get it on the boat.

• @mschenkel.it said:
    I want to get a truck battery and power the whole studio. On my boat. In the middle of the Venice lagoon. I only need the battery and a suitable way to get it on the boat.

Always willing to carry bags (or batteries) when it comes to Venetian lagoons.....

• @mschenkel.it said:
    I want to get a truck battery and power the whole studio. On my boat. In the middle of the Venice lagoon. I only need the battery and a suitable way to get it on the boat.

With a solar charger so you only need to come ashore for food, alcohol, or illicit substances.

• wimwim
    edited July 2016

@mrufino1 said:

My favorite "power pack" is actually a HooToo travel router. Not only can it be recharging itself while powering the iPad/Phone with clean, filtered power, it can attach external USB storage (even hard drives) and make them available to the iPad via it's own wireless network. That wireless network can be standalone to connect any other devices, as a peer-to-peer network does, or it can work as a router. In router mode it can connect to a wireless or wired network. You can plug a hub into it and power other devices. Endless applications ... oh, and it provides battery power for the iPad. Almost forgot that part.

• Rather than getting the truck parts you're planning to power the whole studio, a solar power pack can come in handy

• The official usb3 camera adapter also called the cck3. It even lets you charge an android phone connected to the USB port at the same time as an iPad. I use it to charge both my iPad and android phone all the time :)

• edited March 2018

Wait...so has someone figured out how to fast charge the iPad while it’s playing host to usb midi? Feel like I’ve tried every powered hub on the market. I have a 30kmAh powerbank dying to bond with one that can. I understand it can’t be done without an audio interface because of CCK limitations. Did an update fix it?

• So far i am quite happy with my "Gilsey 7in1 Camera Connection Kit iOS 11 Adapter". BUT: I don't have any idea, how long it will work and if it will be compatible with iOS 12 then.

Generaly, the original Apple thing (overprized) should be the better idea.

(...but i like experimenting very much)

• @wim said:

@mrufino1 said:

My favorite "power pack" is actually a HooToo travel router. Not only can it be recharging itself while powering the iPad/Phone with clean, filtered power, it can attach external USB storage (even hard drives) and make them available to the iPad via it's own wireless network. That wireless network can be standalone to connect any other devices, as a peer-to-peer network does, or it can work as a router. In router mode it can connect to a wireless or wired network. You can plug a hub into it and power other devices. Endless applications ... oh, and it provides battery power for the iPad. Almost forgot that part.

Ohhhhhh.
    Want that :-)

It costs 85 Euro in Good Old Europe :-(((((

Ah, but i now see, that this is the Nano version without a battery - that will not work as expected

• tjatja
    edited March 2018

I found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Portable-Companion-Streamer/dp/B016ZWS9ZE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519926389&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=RAVPower+6000&psc=1

Thought it mentions “No Hotspot” :o

Do you think that this could work?

Edit: I cannot see how many USB ports it has

• @tja said:
    I found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Portable-Companion-Streamer/dp/B016ZWS9ZE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519926389&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=RAVPower+6000&psc=1

Thought it mentions “No Hotspot” :o

Do you think that this could work?

Edit: I cannot see how many USB ports it has

I believe that is the same functionality as what I was describing. The "not a hotspot" remark is meaning that it will not provide internet access where there is none. However, you can have it connect to any wired or wireless internet you have and it will pass the traffic along so that you can share files and access the internet as well.

It looks like it has 1 USB port and 1 SD card reader. You can probably plug in a USB hub, and then connect more devices that that. I can't say for certain though.

RAV Power is a good brand.

That post of mine is pretty old. There may be better options out there by now. In particular, I've been interested in some earlier posts about USB hubs with a built in Ethernet connection so that you can access desktop computers over ethernet instead of wireless. The ethernet port on the device above can not be used for this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZOJX7W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

• Thanks @wim for the nudge. Now I have a Ethernet USB adapter on the way from Amazon. :smile:

And to the OP: add my vote for “the best” is to go with the official Apple USB camera adapter for reliability, even if there are other cheaper options.