Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xesquence vs Quantum sequencer?

I know they’re different beasts. But I used to see Tony Saunders on here all the time and Quantum was getting steady updates. Quiet now and Xequence is getting updated and expanded upon like crazy.

Comments

• Different beasts is right!

Just this morning I loaded Quantum up in BM3. Pointed it at 64 drum pads in a bank. Started messing with notes, velocities, gate lengths, loop sequences, humanization, etc. I reckon I created about 50 patterns I could happily build on.

Quantum is incredible!

Love Xequence too. Super focused MIDI sequencer/editor.

But Quantum is SPECIAL.

• I know you said synth but same awesomeness applies :smiley:

• Aw thanks Gus.. Mistake.. I corrected.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Aw thanks Gus.. Mistake.. I corrected.

I just meant as good for driving drums as well as synths. :smile:

• Quantum has an update coming, then the UI makeover is next. At least that is what I read when I went looking for an update to the Quantum manual.
    I believe Link start/stop is in the next update.
    Quantum FTW.

• I think Mr. Saunders is maybe hooked on VCV Rack. If that is the case, I can understand why. B)

• edited February 2018

But fear not, we're working hard to have the "Generative music" camp covered in the next update :) (early preview)

• @SevenSystems Those are some nice sounding generative sequences. Amazing, I look forward to this update. B)

• @CracklePot: Thanks, I've been extremely unlucky with the randomization in that video. There's also a few others on the channel, where I had better luck ;) (the algorithm has been improved after this terrible experience, though :))

• edited February 2018

@SevenSystems : Wow!!! Nice video!!!!
    I think I may have asked this before but any chance of implementing g some guitar strumming -like arps in the near fiutire?

• This is gonna be like Squarp Pyramid!!!

• @Telstar5: Hmmm the guitar-strumming mode is certainly an interesting suggestion. Can't promise it will be implemented shortly but I'll keep it in mind.

And I don't know a lot about Squarp Pyramid :#

• Yeah like on the Motif.. It would be a challenge but SampleTank has a great acoustic guitar “ American acoustic”. Given the present popularity of acoustic guitar in popular music, a guitar strumming generative iOS app would be most welcome. They exist plentifully on desktop in any guitar VST.

• edited February 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    I know they’re different beasts. But I used to see Tony Saunders on here all the time and Quantum was getting steady updates. Quiet now and Xequence is getting updated and expanded upon like crazy.

Sorry - my day job is getting in the way at the moment. Here's what I'm working on.
    1) User custom keys - you can define enharmonic note names & how non-scale notes map to scale ones. This opens up any scale (built on chromatic notes) to be defined (so 1 note up to 12).
    2) Put the skip button on the front panel (i.e. mute button is now two buttons)
    3) fader Link controls button now has a third option (yellow) to allow chromatic movement(i.e. ignore scale)
    4) Ableton Link stop/start
    The above 3 are being beta tested now. Probably be released in about week or two.
    Next is
    5) new UI
    6) midi export (so you can create midi clips or record entire performance)

• @gusgranite said:
    Different beasts is right!

Just this morning I loaded Quantum up in BM3. Pointed it at 64 drum pads in a bank. Started messing with notes, velocities, gate lengths, loop sequences, humanization, etc. I reckon I created about 50 patterns I could happily build on.

Quantum is incredible!

Love Xequence too. Super focused MIDI sequencer/editor.

But Quantum is SPECIAL.

Nice to see you using humanisation - there's a lot of variation there!

• @CracklePot said:
    I think Mr. Saunders is maybe hooked on VCV Rack. If that is the case, I can understand why.

Yep - its great fun having Mutable Instruments in software. I also really like the VULT modules.
    I've started extending SEQ 3 to have more midiSequencer type controls (all the loop types, start/end etc).

• @Telstar5 said:

Just got a new Quantum beta last week. ;)

• Quantum Sequencer does have Ableton Link right?
    So theoretically it could be used to sequence something in Ableton? And the third step should be the third step?(Arturia iSpark didn’t function that way.. the second step in it was the third step in Ableton..)
    Could someone confirm that for me? :)

• @SevenSystems a strumming interface would be completely amazing. If you want to see a good and simple implementation within a DAW, Looptical lets you choose a strummer in addition to the usual keyboard + keytines choices. Garageband's is more sophisticated, but does not let you control anything but guitars with it. Guitarism is almost ideal - something like its interface in a DAW (or y'know comprehensive linear sequencer) would be so killer.

While we are being utopian, on the iPad I really love that Multi-Track Studio allows you to choose a fretboard interface instead of keys. I can really perform that thing. It's my favorite way to control synths. On iPhone, there's iFretless, GeoShred and Synthecaster with MIDI out, but no iphone DAW offers this baked-in, to my knowledge. Xequence could do this by simply allowing more than two keyboard rows and a 'mono per string' polyphony option (is that crazy talk?)

• Thank you Tony @midiSequencer ..
    Thanks also to @JonLewis . I’ve never heard of Looptical until now .

• @JonLewis , I never knew that Multi track studio could do that either. Wuuuut?
    @midiSequencer , please take note! This is cool beans!

• @JonLewis: Not crazy at all... :) I can't give this a very high priority, but will list it as a possible future thing to look at anyway. However, our recent feature survey was really interesting and we already adjusted the roadmap accordingly ;)

• @Telstar5 yeah MTS lets you choose a guitar, violin, viola, cello or double bass fretboard layout. (Obv those latter four don’t have frets, but pitch and tuning wise). You can also choose six note polyphony or, with finger vibrato/finger string bend activated, mono.

@SevenSystems sweet!

• Kudos to both @midiSequencer and @SevenSystems for both jumping in on this thread. I own both apps and frankly couldn't compare the two if I wanted to as they are such wildly different beasts.

But way to go, guys - I appreciate that you're taking this thread as being inclusive as opposed to exclusive.

• @dvlmusic said:
    Kudos to both @midiSequencer and @SevenSystems for both jumping in on this thread. I own both apps and frankly couldn't compare the two if I wanted to as they are such wildly different beasts.

But way to go, guys - I appreciate that you're taking this thread as being inclusive as opposed to exclusive.

thx

• @dvlmusic said:
    Kudos to both @midiSequencer and @SevenSystems

Cosign the Kudos. Xequence and Quantum have bottles of swag sauce respectively. Fantastic Beasts that do completely different things for me. I can generate some cool ass parts, hooks and loops in Quantum.

I “plug” all of my fav sounds into Xequence, fire up my Apple Pencil and draw complete songs without taking screen dives.

Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work gentlemen.

• @WillieNegus said:
    I “plug” all of my fav sounds into Xequence, fire up my Apple Pencil and draw complete songs without taking screen dives.

Thanks. And interesting it works well with the Apple Pencil, never occured to me :) Maybe I can halve the size of all UI elements in the next update then :D

• @SevenSystems said:

@WillieNegus said:

Thanks. And interesting it works well with the Apple Pencil, never occured to me :) Maybe I can halve the size of all UI elements in the next update then :D

Works great. But um...yeah...No. In fact, next time the thought of halving UI elements pops in your mind, bite whichever hand operates your mouse as hard as possible while pondering how greatly I appreciate such extreme displays of commitment. ;)