Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New feature coming in Audiobus 2: State Saving

The launch of Audiobus 2 is getting closer and closer and today we'd like to tell you the main reason why you're not holding it in your hands already.

For the last months we've been working hard on a new feature that we think is going to vastly improve the way you're making music on iDevices:

State Saving

Here's a video explaining how it works. Click it. Do it now!

Some of the apps used in the video are Echo Pad, Nave and Stereo Designer - kick-ass stereo shaping tool which just went live!

Do you have questions about state saving? Feel free to discuss it here.

Comments

• Looks good. IAP or included?

• edited February 2014

@PaulB said:

Looks good. IAP or included?

Included.

• State Saving? I first thought why are we discussing the economics of State Saving here. Is the state of the world economy that sick? Then I watched the video. Instant Recall. Instant Replay.

This feature will kick off a whole slew of AB presets for sharing. Obviously all the apps in a State Saving "preset" will have to be owned by users. It might bring "sameyness" but the creatives will love it.

Bring it on.

• Awesome, so when is it available? I can't wait.

• I support this!

• How will it handle opening and closing apps ?

• @DaveMagoo said:

How will it handle opening and closing apps ?

Right now, there is no change to opening and closing apps. We're looking into that in a future update.

• This is awesome, great work!

@FrankieJay I can already see something like a 'Save State Cloud' in front of me, where you can load user-submitted save states from the Audiobus app on basis of the Audiobus apps you have on your iDevice!

• This will be great!!!

• whoop! brilliant move :)

• @momupro said:

This is awesome, great work!

@FrankieJay I can already see something like a 'Save State Cloud' in front of me, where you can load user-submitted save states from the Audiobus app on basis of the Audiobus apps you have on your iDevice!

That's actually built in. Every Audiobus preset (including saved state) can be shared easily with the press of a button. You'll get a link that you can tweet, facebook or email and all the information is going to be included in that.

I guess we're going to have to make another video to explain that :)

• edited February 2014

Multi routing is IAP and this is free?

Crazy....personally I pay for this :-)

Multi routing is free right now in iOS 7...

edit: I personally can pay for all 2 features :)

• Hey Sebastian,

With 'Save State' enabled apps, is there a way for them to report their progress to entering that state back to AB? Some apps might take quite a while to reload all the sound files necessary etc to returning to the save state, would be nice if the AB interface could represent this with a loading bar or something so people know the app is just working in the background and not frozen.

• @Sebastian said:

@momupro said:

This is awesome, great work!

That's actually built in. Every Audiobus preset (including saved state) can be shared easily with the press of a button. You'll get a link that you can tweet, facebook or email and all the information is going to be included in that.

I guess we're going to have to make another video to explain that :)

Close enough :)

• @Sebastian - I think many developers are going to love you (not as in love you physically) even more because the State Saving functionality is going to make a lot of AB users go: what? I love that! I want those apps in this "preset". Cue a spending spree :) on more apps just to get a particular sound or texture. It will happen :)

• can i assign multichannel input/output on usb audio interface like 18i20 ?

• @FrankieJay said:

@Sebastian - I think many developers are going to love you (not as in love you physically) even more because the State Saving functionality is going to make a lot of AB users go: what? I love that! I want those apps in this "preset". Cue a spending spree :) on more apps just to get a particular sound or texture. It will happen :)

That's one of the things that I like about it. It helps to promote apps.

@sven said:

can i assign multichannel input/output on usb audio interface like 18i20 ?

Yes. Although with Audiobus 2.0 we're only supporting multiple input configurations. We're looking to add more output options in a point update.

• When I open an app on its own eg:without ab2. Will the app be in the state last used in Ab2 or last used on its own ?

• @DaveMagoo said:

When I open an app on its own eg:without ab2. Will the app be in the state last used in Ab2 or last used on its own ?

If you're opening it from a preset then it will open in the state that was saved in that preset. If you open it on its own it will open in the state that it was in last time when it was used.

• Fantastic!!!! Thank you Audiobus team. Now we need to encourage developers to get behind that too!. Great news!

• Will we be able to browse/search user presets somewhere?

• edited February 2014

@syrupcore said:

Will we be able to browse/search user presets somewhere?

Not yet, but that's a great idea.
    You can definitely share them with just a link though.

• Totally off topic but what's the accent of the narrator in that demo clip? Sounds kind of American-ish and European-y at times.

Oh, and really looking forward for the update.

• Question:
    If I'm working on an app inside audiobus ,fine tune-tweak parameters ,can I save a "normal" preset (eg PRESET1) inside the app? I mean if launch the app later as standalone can I load the state of the app (via the PRESET1) without audiobus?

• Way cool! I'll be looking forward to the release!! :-)

• @Korakios said:

Question:
    If I'm working on an app inside audiobus ,fine tune-tweak parameters ,can I save a "normal" preset (eg PRESET1) inside the app? I mean if launch the app later as standalone can I load the state of the app (via the PRESET1) without audiobus?

If the app itself has presets, sure, why not.

If it doesn't and it has Audiobus state saving support then you could just make an Audiobus preset only containing the app in question and load it from Audiobus.

• edited February 2014

@cheesesteak said:

Totally off topic but what's the accent of the narrator in that demo clip? Sounds kind of American-ish and European-y at times.

That's Christopher Rice, the guy who makes Echo Pad, Swoopster and the new Stereo Designer app.

• edited February 2014

Thanks @sebastian. Now I'm fascinated by this link. Does it actually encode it all in the URL or is pointing to a place on the AB server that has the actual state info?