Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad > Sensel

Would an iPad Pro with transparent silicone pad or keys overlays all but make Morph obsolete?

My first gen iPad Pro has sensors in the retina but they are currently just configured for the Apple Pencil. Granted, Morph is a big touch surface dedicated to midi and iPad would have to sacrifice screen space but this may be an advantage also. Most creatives would prefer not to look to another screen.

Any brains care to illustrate why Apple wouldn’t include Morph-like capabilities to iPad function for music producers? Seems like a whole new simple revenue stream and ecosystem waiting to be had without a significant amount of dev refocus. How am I wrong?

Comments

• You need to have good enogh electroconductivity on pads to make it work. Silicone doesent conduct electricity

• @WillieNegus said:
    Would an iPad Pro with transparent silicone pad or keys overlays all but make Morph obsolete?

My first gen iPad Pro has sensors in the retina but they are currently just configured for the Apple Pencil. Granted, Morph is a big touch surface dedicated to midi and iPad would have to sacrifice screen space but this may be an advantage also. Most creatives would prefer not to look to another screen.

Any brains care to illustrate why Apple wouldn’t include Morph-like capabilities to iPad function for music producers? Seems like a whole new simple revenue stream and ecosystem waiting to be had without a significant amount of dev refocus. How am I wrong?

ipad would have to make some huge changes to their pressure sensitivity. Sensel has a huge range in exspression. i’ve had tons of controllers, and nothing has even come close.I am not sure if this is a good analogy but here it goes.... I would liken it to siting in a quiet room and tapping your finger on a wooden table. if you tap the lightest you can and still here sound. that is about the pressure Sensel triggers its lowest pressure at. it’s insane. What i always thought would be cool, is an ipad screen at the top, and a exspressive midi control pad at the bottom. thing of a large version of an old nintendo DS
    Either way, I highly recommend the Sensel Morph

• Thanks for that @eross. I was on the fence about Morph. Apple boasts how many sensors are in iPad Pro to accomplish Apple Pencil drawing magic so I thought it wouldn’t be too ambitious for them to repurpose for this type of use given the obvious benefits to users and apples bottomline.

I’ll just go Morph.lol. It’s well priced and sounds amazing. No wires. Obviously beats the breaks off a quneo with rogue, cme key or Korg nanokey if it works as stable as the aforementioned.

Any issues at all with yours yet? Can’t find a lot of ‘real’ reviews in the wild.

• @WillieNegus said:
    Thanks for that @eross. I was on the fence about Morph. Apple boasts how many sensors are in iPad Pro to accomplish Apple Pencil drawing magic so I thought it wouldn’t be too ambitious for them to repurpose for this type of use given the obvious benefits to users and apples bottomline.

I’ll just go Morph.lol. It’s well priced and sounds amazing. No wires. Obviously beats the breaks off a quneo with rogue, cme key or Korg nanokey if it works as stable as the aforementioned.

Any issues at all with yours yet? Can’t find a lot of ‘real’ reviews in the wild.

It's pretty great, I must say. @eross and I will be the 1st to recommend it to anyone who is on the fence. Aside from how cool the pressure sensitivity is and how it works as an MPE controller, it's extremely portable and light. So far, I've made music on an airplane, at multiple coffee shops, in hotel rooms, on my lap, and other places where a traditional MIDI controller would be cumbersome. The bluetooth is awesome, and when the Morph is a couple inches away from the iPad there's almost no latency. I can pump out drum beats and piano riffs with ease and not worry about the latency. The modularity is pretty amazing. It's great being in Gadget and using the MPC overlay to make a drum beat in Gladstone, and then switch to Salzburg for a piano part and just swapping the MPC with the piano overlay to do so.

I haven't dove deep into the MPE capabilities yet, I tried it with Garageband and Geoshred and had some fun with those. At this time there isn't a ton of iOS apps that have full support yet but I suspect we will see more and more in time.

• I know what you mean. Although the Apple Pencil is fantastic, there is still a lot of untapped potential with the newest touchscreen tech. I would honestly be happy paying double the price of the current iPad Pros if they were to release a model that could pick up subtle multi touch from any type of input.. eg. being able to paint with real paintbrushes or sponges etc on the touchscreen... of course they would have to develop software to go along with that. :p I can dream lol

• I just had to look this up to see what the heck you guys were talking about. Pretty interesting product. It seems to be a large trackpad with high pressure sensitivity that has preset comfigurations to turn it into a range of controllers.
    Would love to hear feedback if anyone uses one. It still lacks touchable controls, but the pressure sensitivity could bring a lot of playability to an iPad, I would think.

• @illaddin may have sold me. I think it’s just $299 US but that probably doesn’t include overlays. Still sounds worth it to me.

@Keenan said:
    I know what you mean. Although the Apple Pencil is fantastic, there is still a lot of untapped potential with the newest touchscreen tech. I would honestly be happy paying double the price of the current iPad Pros if they were to release a model that could pick up subtle multi touch from any type of input.. eg. being able to paint with real paintbrushes or sponges etc on the touchscreen... of course they would have to develop software to go along with that. :p I can dream lol

Exactly. My thoughts. I’m dreaming of Apple including what Morph does since the tech is there already. Knowing them, years off. They’ll just sit and watch Sensel sales. If it goes crazy, they’ll buy them or add the function to add “Apple” overlays on iPad Pro. Let’s face it, Sensel just out-Appled Apple. Jobs is famous for shaving “fat”...stylus? Get rid of it.

Why do we need another midi controller with iPad. Because tapping glass is not as expressive as midi controller surfaces (keys, pads). Thus overlays. Only thing iPad is missing. Enter Sensel. Smart Keyboard, midi keys, drum pad, game controller.

Duh.lol

@CracklePot said:
    I just had to look this up to see what the heck you guys were talking about. Pretty interesting product. It seems to be a large trackpad with high pressure sensitivity that has preset comfigurations to turn it into a range of controllers.
    Would love to hear feedback if anyone uses one. It still lacks touchable controls, but the pressure sensitivity could bring a lot of playability to an iPad, I would think.

Looks groovy right?! According to @illaddin and @eross it is what it says it is.

• i very much is what t says it it. Only thing I’d like to see that isn’t it yet, is an ipad app to configure every knob and control , the same way that it has on the desktop. but I think it is on the way soon. until then, mid learn can be usd on ipad stuff. other than that he only other thing is, i wish i had more of them to set alongside each other to make one huge keyboard. :)

• Are the overlays textured at all? It would help if there was a little bump outline of the control areas to give you some tactile feedback. Would kind of put it somewhere between a flat surface and full dimensional knobs, faders, etc.

• @CracklePot said:
    Are the overlays textured at all? It would help if there was a little bump outline of the control areas to give you some tactile feedback. Would kind of put it somewhere between a flat surface and full dimensional knobs, faders, etc.

yeah, actually they are. I have the mpc template, and the knobs have like a little groove, and allow your finger to glide around the circle very efficiently. I was a little hesitant about the fader and knobs as well, but they are surprisingly very responsive, and i se them way more than i thought i would

• @eross said:

@CracklePot said:
    Are the overlays textured at all? It would help if there was a little bump outline of the control areas to give you some tactile feedback. Would kind of put it somewhere between a flat surface and full dimensional knobs, faders, etc.

yeah, actually they are. I have the mpc template, and the knobs have like a little groove, and allow your finger to glide around the circle very efficiently. I was a little hesitant about the fader and knobs as well, but they are surprisingly very responsive, and i se them way more than i thought i would

That is good. Wow, this thing looks badass. Very impressed. B)

• Alright, I decided to make quick video just to show it in action. I didn't do anything with MPE here, this mostly just to show the latency over bluetooth and the ability to switch overlays easily. Take a look:

• @illaddin said:
    Alright, I decided to make quick video just to show it in action.

Nice! So the keys/pads are raised. Cool. I understand there’s also a transparent overlay available that you can place over a piece of paper that you’ve drawn a custom midi controller on. So you can have unlimited controller over your daw.

• Why no guitar fretboard overlay, Linnstrument style?

• Great video, @illaddin. Thank you!

• just got an email for anyone looking for a Sensel morph
    Share the link http://www.sensel.com/winwin with your friends. They'll get $100 off when they order a Morph + 2 overlays.
    When they checkout, have them include your name and email in the "Note" section of the Shopping Cart.

anyone interested, PM me and I’ll give you my email to include in the notes section for the shopping Cart. I think I can win a free overlay if you do. thanks

• @illaddin really nice demo, job well done!