Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Understand FM synths in 4 minutes

Just for those who wanted to get into it but thought is was complex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=209&v=vvBl3YUBUyY

Comments

• Understanding FM is one thing but being able to predict or estimate the outcome is another issue :)

I'm still at the dual 2OP stage (Chiangmai inside Gadget) of FM synthesis (ie. layer two different sounds) because the other stuff just most creates uncontrollable random noises hahaha.

I'm still learning more though. Dixie & FM Essentials are those apps that really helps me do that.

• edited February 2018

@Samu said:
    Understanding FM is one thing but being able to predict or estimate the outcome is another issue :)

I'm still at the dual 2OP stage (Chiangmai inside Gadget) of FM synthesis (ie. layer two different sounds) because the other stuff just most creates uncontrollable random noises hahaha.

I'm still learning more though. Dixie & FM Essentials are those apps that really helps me do that.

I got into FM around the time Phasemaker came out, and while I got the concept, I couldn’t really make anything with any degree of control with it.

A few weeks ago I fired it up and it just clicked, without me learning any further, just letting the concept and the properties of wave shapes stew in my mind for a good long while. Now I finally like and appreciate FM synthesis.

• Also, that hippie in the video needs to get a haircut, hippie

• Andrew is definitely YouTube subscription worthy. Just about everything he produces has some value in music production. The other parts of his YouTube posse are pretty good too, though I only subscribe to Rob Scallion.

• @Samu said:
    Understanding FM is one thing but being able to predict or estimate the outcome is another issue :)

Very this. I finally grokked basic multi-operator FM in the early 2000s. I'm only now getting decent at intentional programming though.

Loved Andrew's visualization but If you want a bit more depth without totally going off the deep end check out Cuckoo's FM video.

• edited February 2018

@syrupcore said:

@Samu said:

Very this. I finally grokked basic multi-operator FM in the early 2000s. I'm only now getting decent at intentional programming though.

Loved Andrew's visualization but If you want a bit more depth without totally going off the deep end check out Cuckoo's FM video.

Just out of curiosity, doesn anyone know what app he's using as the oscilloscope?
    It would be just about perfect as an AUv3 :D

It's oScope by Alex Wiltschko and it's no longer availble in the Swedish Appstore :(

• I learned on Toxic Biohazard for the desktop. Pretty simple to play around and get a feel for even 6 op fm since everything is right there on one screen and there’s a lovely 6 by 6 mod matrix grid that lets you see what you’ve got going in one glance. Hell that came out years ago and I still haven’t seen a better interface for deep fm with 6 op

• Ok. Now I am even more confused. How the hell is he getting sound out of a paper and yarn modular synth?

• @greengrocer said:
    Just for those who wanted to get into it but thought is was complex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=209&v=vvBl3YUBUyY

That was excellent!! Thanks for posting!!

• This young man is more interesting as you may think at first.

• He’s really great

• He’s a multi-talented genius, but like, for real.

• I’ve been a fan of Andrew Huang since his Beathawk video. His channel is super cool and inspiring. He’s also on Spotify.