Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI notes copy/paste between apps ever really work?

Hello,

Hope the holidays have been great for you'all. My question... does copy/paste or import / export of a piano roll of MIDI notes every really work between apps? In the iOS world, we have a bunch of different apps that do great things. There have been many times I've put something together in, say Chordbot, and wanted to take it over to something like Gadget. Often there is an import/export or a "Share" feature between the apps, but the result either doesn't work at all, or I end up with a MIDI kludge that isn't worth further futzing about. I'd also rather not deal with attempting real-time MIDI syncing.

Any thoughts? Thx,

• Joe

Comments

• Import and export works fine for a lot of things. I've never had any luck with copying and pasting midi tho.

• I have good success exporting MIDI from Chordbot via email. Most of the time I open it in my desktop DAW to make adjustments on a 27" screen and then email it back to Cubasis. It is not the most streamlined workflow but it yields good results. Can't say for Gadget as I don't use it much and might be the only one here that does not like it.

Good luck.

• Thanks. FWIW, the exporting of iReal Pro and Chordbot directly into other iOS apps hasn't really worked out. I haven't tried taking them to the desktop.

• If you record your midi in Bm2 you can export midi file to Dropbox into Audioshare and do open in from there to any midi app that will open midi files

• edited December 2014

@Keebo said:

I have good success exporting MIDI from Chordbot via email. Most of the time I open it in my desktop DAW to make adjustments on a 27" screen and then email it back to Cubasis. It is not the most streamlined workflow but it yields good results. Can't say for Gadget as I don't use it much and might be the only one here that does not like it.

Good luck.

Much as I'm not excited about bringing things back to the desktop, I do like the idea of editing on a far bigger screen....thanks for the nudge.

• YW. If only I had the eye sight of a teenaged me...

• edited December 2014

Folks,

Your responses gave me hope and good reason to try again.

And here's what appears to be working....!

MIDI roll sources:
    Chordbot (Export / MIDI, Send MIDI file / iOS Share)

Fiddlewax Pro (Recorded Sessions / export icon / Open MIDI in... / iOS Share)

iReal Pro (hidden IMO.... "Share Audio" / MIDI / iOS Share / Open In...)

MIDI roll destinations:

MultiTrackStudio (just bought for Xmas!)

Bs-16i

Notion

This is GREAT to discover. Now I have even fewer excuses not to create / grab chord progressions and send them someplace for further work or timbre expression.

Cheers,

• Joe

Still wish Korg would play ball better here...

• @joegrant413 Nicely done Joe. Good list.

• I do chordbot->nanostudio pretty regularly. Works great.

• @syrupcore said:

I do chordbot->nanostudio pretty regularly. Works great.

You are my (very welcome) Jiminy Cricket as regards bringing things back to NS....

• With Korg Gadget, I just play midi into it and record.

I know it would be better if you could 'open in' or load midi in. But pointing midi at it and hitting record in any synth in Gadget works pretty well as long as less than 16 bars (or just do it in 16 bar pieces).

• Resurrecting an old thread in hopes you all can bring me up to date. I just bought iReal Pro for some backing track practice with my guitar but the onboard sounds are really quite cheesy. I read here and elsewhere that I can do a MIDI export from the app.

So what apps currently all you to import MIDI XML files?

• edited February 2018

I Airdrop from MacBook to Genome on iPAD and from iPad to Ableton.

All of the Brambos apps I do by email no issues.
    Infinite looper also works well.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I Airdrop from MacBook to Genome on iPAD and from iPad to Ableton.

All of the Brambos apps I do by email no issues.
    Infinite looper also works well.

Awesome, I have Infinite Looper (never really used it!) and Genome on my iPad at home, will give those a try tonight. Thanks for the suggestions!

• AudioShare handles midi files too. You can even preview them in the app. I use the WiFi drive in it to move files between devices, or share between apps.