Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BeatMaker 3 sending MIDI to other Apps - already possible?

I wanted to check that great multi-track and multi-synth chord and arpeggiator setup from

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13557/modstep-chordpolypad-and-steppolyarp-tutorial-animoog-example

with same DAWs.

After successful implementation with AUM and Cubasis, I tried BeatMaker 3.

But whatever I try, I cannot seem to send MIDI from BeatMaker 3 into ChordPolyPad or, a test into Cubasis.

Is this still not possible with BM3?

Or am I just unable to configure this correctly?!?
:o

Comments

• tjatja
    edited October 2017

I have iSem on Bank A, Pad A1.1

MIDI Out on this track is set to All / All

I can hear iSem making it's ticks, while looping the track.

Then I start Cubasis with a MIDI track and try both "All" Inputs or just "BeatMaker" while recording...

But I don't get any MIDI
    :/

• Nobody uses BM3 to send MIDI to other Apps?

Not possible yet?

• It is possible, it's just a bit fiddly. I think you need a sample on the pad that you're using, even though the pad is never played.

• @cian said:
    It is possible, it's just a bit fiddly. I think you need a sample on the pad that you're using, even though the pad is never played.

Ahhhhhh.
    Thanks! :)

Going to try this tomorrow!

• @cian said:
    It is possible, it's just a bit fiddly. I think you need a sample on the pad that you're using, even though the pad is never played.

I got it working today this way. Might not still be necessary but at least it works like that.
    Its fiddly because you have to configure each pad for a midi destination and channel.
    Curiosly, I tried setting 'all' as a midi channel and it indeed sent to all midi channels. Inpressive!
    Im enjoying BM3 more and more

• I don't get it :(

I removed the iSem AU and added a Sample instead.
    Strangely, then I could record the MIDI!

But when I then mute the sample, nothing get's recorded again.

As you said that the sample never get's played, I can only assume that I did something wrong.

Those of you that do much with samples seem to love BM.
    But for those how use MIDI.... It seems so much unfinished, still.

• Also, the single sole MIDI developer at Intua seems to have died.

You cannot even read the MIDI destinations!
    They are straight cut off.

Nobody ever seem to have used a MIDI destination at Intua - otherwise one would have noticed and changed, or?

• Maybe ping @mathieugarcia for this, or file an official support errand, that looks unusable. I'm guessing I'll get the same from my ICM4+ (which I can't use right now due to iOS 11 bugs in their software, but that will be fixed).

• I think, I found it.

There are at least two ways to mute a track, one in the mixer (when you mute here, no MIDI will be send) and one in the pad view:

If you mute here, the track will be mute, but MIDI will be send!

Still, I thought that I would need to only mute that one single pad :o

• This has been discussed at length over in the Intua forums so you might do some reading over there.

• muting with both pads and mixer seems to do the same here?! unfortunately tho when you mute no note off is sent. muting while a note is being sent ends up with it just hanging there. not much good for live pad action

• Sad thing with MIDI :'(

• was having a good time sending patterns out to animoog and model 15 and then it crashed. it always crashes. i am deleting this damn app. frustrated.

• :)

NS2 will be great, I feel

• edited October 2017

@tja said:
    :)

I think FLSM will be great... soon. B)

• @RajahP said:

@tja said:

New version?
    When?
    What?
    How?

• For several weeks I've been stumped and fruastrated that I haven't been able to route a Cubasis MIDI file using Beatmaker 3 as the instrument. I read all about the FOCUS ACTION settings and the OMNI mode and understood them, but I came to the conclusion that there is only one way to play the BM3 pads (with a different sample on each). The pad itself had to be triggered. It was easy to set up FOCUS ACTION triggers using a MIDI keyboard (I use a Yamaha MX49). But how to get the output from Cubasis (or anything besides an actual hardware controller like the MX49 keys) as a trigger became a quest. I'm not one who gives up easily. Believe me, you can use your friend Google search till your fingers are sore, but I had no luck finding anything in ANY forum (including this one) that addressed this until today.

I really wanted to automate the input to BM3 so it could become part of a non-live mix, and a MIDI file seemed a logical way to do that. Well today at last I can report that there IS a way, which I'll describe here as thoroughly as I can.

In past testing, I couldn't figure out a way to set up MIDI triggers for Cubasis. The only thing I could get it to recognize as a trigger was the MX49. I NEEDED it to recognize a trigger from Cubasis in order to set up the FOCUS ACTION. There was nothing I could do in BM3 to get it to work. I finally read the following helpful forum topic:

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/4574/bm3-midi-controller-problem

On this topic, the following response was posted (note: not my post):

"I dont know if this would work for any of you all but it did for me.

I was unable to connect a padkontrol through a u-zoom soundcard while this set up is working fine in other apps.

As a turnaround I installed an app called midiflow.
    In that app you need to create a midi path by selecting your input midi device and by creating and adding a virtual midi port as your output.
    You then have to open BM3 and select your created midi-out as your midi-in your midi preferences in BM3.
    This is the only way I found to have BM3 talk to my midi controller so that I can create the focus actions.

It sometimes doesn't recognise my virtual port so I created a second one that is recognized when the first one isn't and vice-versa.
    So I created 2 sets of "focus actions" that I named accordingly and that I load when either of the ports is being recognized.
    In any case restarting BM3 seems to be required when changing midi ports.

Please kindly note that I am in no way associated with "midiflow", I am just sharing a work around that works for me.

BM3 midi communications seems to need some ironing so that I dont have to use 3rd party apps, but at least it works for me right now. Hope it does for you too..."

And that was what I needed. I'll try to be thorough in describing What I did.

Setup BM3 Triggers:
    1. Cubasis and BM3 were open.
    2. I opened Midiflow.
    3. Starting in a new Midiflow session:
    4. I renamed it Cubasis_BM3 which I will keep.
    5. I started a new lane. I created a virtual output called BM-Out and set it as output.
    6. I set the input from the MX49 Port 1.
    7. I already had a session in BM3 with a bank containing samples loaded in A1-1 through A1-30.
    8. I set BM3 input MIDI as BM-Out. All other MIDI IOs were off.
    9. I switched to the BM3 MIDI triggers pane.
    10. I selected TRIGGER Pad 1 as the FOCUS ACTION and pressed the first key on the MX49.
    11. The MIDI BINDING showed as "BM-Out: Chan 1: NOTE 24 (C 0)"!

This was the key to the whole set of dominoes. BM3 now recognized a focus action from a virtual MIDI.

1. I set up all of the keys on the MX49.
    2. Then I saved the session.
    3. I wasn't sure if all of the FOCUS ACTION settings would be retained. I decided to start a new session to clear BM3, then load the just saved session. They WERE lost. They do not get saved with a session save. Side trip:

x1. Set up all of your FOCUS ACTIONs.
      x2. There's a button in the upper right of the FOCUS ACTIONS EDITOR. Clicking on it will give you a template save/load dialog. This is how that's done.

Route Cubasis MIDI to play in BM3:
    1. In Midiflow, set up another lane with Cubasis as the input and my previously created BM-Out as the output.
    2. In Cubasis, in the MIDI track, Set the MIDI output to Virtual MIDI on Ch 1.
    3. Play the Cubasis MIDI file.
    4. The designated bank in BM3 (loaded with my cool audio slices) should play a different sound for each pad assigned in the FOCUS ACTIONs and it does.

This solution requires Midiflow with settings as I've described here. Once you create the setup, you can save it as a session in Midiflow. If at any point you delete the BM-Out Virtual output, this will stop working, but all you have to do is create it again in Midiflow.

As others have done, I post this to help anyone trying to accomplish the same thing. If someone else had already posted something similar, I couldn't find it. Good luck!

• Updated note:
    After shutting everything down and coming back, it wasn't good enough just to know the name of the virtual output port. The template for FOCUS ACTIONS wouldn't rebind. The bindings for the pads all showed not connected. The internal designation for the Virtual Port changed somehow, perhaps during the restart of Midiflow. I set up all pads from scratch again and gave it a different name. Doing a hex comparison of the two template files gave me a hint. I've sent a query to Intua support just to see if they have any ideas.

• edited February 2018

It works fine.
    1 Open Cubasis and send your MIDI to Virtual MIDI.
    2 Open Beatmaker 3, Enable Cubasis MIDI input in settings, change any pad or banks MIDI input to Cubasis, works fine everytime.
    Nothing else needed, focus actions are for focus, they are not needed.

• If the people who talk are 3 years behind me in what they know, then
    the people who don’t talk are making my same discoveries now?

If the people who talk don’t know what I know, then
    who else does? What do they know that I don’t?
    How long will it be before I figure out what they already know?

Somewhere on the timeline of discovery, there must be people better than me.
    And in my experience, they are willing to form a closed circle, a cult, a company, a set, a band.

Are there dark groups or real dragons out there?
    Wizard with crystal balls willing to trade.

• @Samplemunch said:
    It works fine.
    2 Open Beatmaker 3, Enable Cubasis MIDI input in settings, change any pad or banks MIDI input to Cubasis, works fine everytime.

I disagree. Unless I turn OMNI on, the note coming from Cubasis MIDI does not respond in BM3. With OMNI on, it plays, but it only plays the currently selected pad at different key pitch levels, which the documentation indicates. I have different samples on each pad. I want the MIDI on Cubasis to play all the different pads. So focus IS required, I think. I want BM3 to respond to the Virtual MIDI input notes by playing a different pad for each note, and my understanding is that in order to do that I have to assign a Focus Action, so that when BM3 receives note 25 from Virtual MIDI, it plays the pad I've assigned that note to. Please let me know if you think I'm doing something wrong, of course. Also, you talk about assigning Cubasis MIDI-in to a Pad. I don't see anywhere that you can change the MIDI input for a specific Pad, only Banks.

I also discovered something this morning that I didn't know last night. I indicated that I got "not connected" with the Focus Actions. If you open the FOCUS ACTIONS EDITOR and see the "not connected" indicators, go to the dropdown and select "Re-assign actions to device". In the dropdown you will see the Virtual MIDI in the list. If you click on it, everything will be fixed.

• @RajahP said:

@tja said:

FLSM?

• FL studio mobile 3
    It is still far from great! (it probably would be great already if they had continued developing FLM2 rather than starting again from scratch)

• tjatja
    edited February 2018

Wow, @motmeister
    Thanks!

When I have some spare 10 euro, I will get BeatMaker 2 - from all what Iheared, it is capable of all those things.
    And as I do nothing with slices anyway...

• @motmeister said:

@Samplemunch said:
    It works fine.

I disagree. Unless I turn OMNI on, the note coming from Cubasis MIDI does not respond in BM3. With OMNI on, it plays, but it only plays the currently selected pad at different key pitch levels, which the documentation indicates. I have different samples on each pad. I want the MIDI on Cubasis to play all the different pads. So focus IS required, I think. I want BM3 to respond to the Virtual MIDI input notes by playing a different pad for each note, and my understanding is that in order to do that I have to assign a Focus Action, so that when BM3 receives note 25 from Virtual MIDI, it plays the pad I've assigned that note to. Please let me know if you think I'm doing something wrong, of course. Also, you talk about assigning Cubasis MIDI-in to a Pad. I don't see anywhere that you can change the MIDI input for a specific Pad, only Banks.

I also discovered something this morning that I didn't know last night. I indicated that I got "not connected" with the Focus Actions. If you open the FOCUS ACTIONS EDITOR and see the "not connected" indicators, go to the dropdown and select "Re-assign actions to device". In the dropdown you will see the Virtual MIDI in the list. If you click on it, everything will be fixed.

Awesome. More pieces to the BM3 puzzle. I have been trying to get around the fact that pad 1 gets mapped to Midi note 0 and I think you have shown me the way forward. Thanks for sharing. B)

• In midi settings set the bank mode to single channel, not multichannel.

• edited February 2018

@motmeister said:

@Samplemunch said:
    It works fine.

It works fine, omni doesnt have to be on at all

As can be seen in that video.

• @RajahP said:

@tja said:

FLSM?> @BiancaNeve said:

FL studio mobile 3
    It is still far from great! (it probably would be great already if they had continued developing FLM2 rather than starting again from scratch)

I dug the original one for ios.

The Music Studio app style.

The new style has some weird counter-intuitive flow or is what done be a left handed person...

• I’m left handed by the way