Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplist is live on the App Store

Comments

• You know what's funny? I initially made the knobs linear. People said they're weird. Make them like garage band.

I made them like garage band (rotational) and now people want them linear.

I guess you can't satisfy everyone. I'm sorry you changed your mind. Perhaps you can revisit it on a future update.

perhaps an option to switch between the two would solve this. Seems to me that more pro level apps opt for either linear or the option to select knob behavior.

• edited February 2018

Even though I really don’t need this, I’m tempted to buy it anyway because even after some of the rude criticism by at least one user I don’t really jive with anyway, how this has dev responded even-keeled without negativity and appears to be committed to making his app spectacular... how could anyone NOT support that? :)

Almost sold but waiting to see what the Kosmonaut damage will be. ;)

• @skiphunt said:
    Even though I really don’t need this, I’m tempted to buy it anyway because even after some of the rude criticism by at least one user I don’t really jive with anyway, how this has dev responded even-keeled without negativity and appears to be committed to making his app spectacular... how could anyone NOT support that? :)

Almost sold but waiting to see what the Kosmonaut damage will be. ;)

I either support this or continue my daily “chocolates at work” habit for a week.

I’m choosing the former, I trust my dev karma and waistline will expand and contract accordingly. Really wanted it AU but am placing trust in the process ...

• Not sure I have a use case for it yet but investing in its promising future and to support further development. Carry on!

• edited February 2018

A new app, of a type that few here truly need, stands or falls on the willingness of its developer to adapt and improve at a rapid rate. Which is just what we see Mr Buga doing.

That said, the comment about beta testing someone made was not entirely wrong. At the full price, there were way too many bugs. At the intro price, most here and beyond will feel okay about gambling a few quid, and hopefully helping the app reach its potential. Something I trust will include AU before too long.

Onwards!

• edited February 2018

Hey guys. I keep seeing people talking about the initial price being high. I'm just curious how much do you guys spend on average on an app?

Because when I set the initial price I honestly thought it's not high. I'm usually measuring app prices in Starbucks coffee. I don't buy Starbucks coffee anymore but I'm thinking "is this app worth 2-3 coffees? Ok. I buy it"

Maybe it's the fact that I know what happens behind the courtains and probably put a value on the process too.

Building an app is not such a piece of cake. And also there's the big brother Apple who takes 90$/yr just to allow you to be on the store with the cool guys and then... Hey are you making money? Give me 30%

• I think the people who complain about the price of iOS apps just have no clue. It's akin to someone expecting a nice restaurant to have a dollar menu because Burger King does.
    Even outside of the world of audio apps, I often suggest a really good app to a friend that's a couple of dollars only to be met with "... isn't there another app like it that's free?"

In my estimation, audio apps are too inexpensive. Consider that the same plugins for desktop are often 5-10x the price. It's a bargain and it seems the only reason they're so cheap is because a precedent was set that apps are toys and therefore shouldn't cost much. But the fact is that my ipad is soon to replace my macbook pro now that there are so many capable audio apps. I'm willing to pay developers a fair price, especially when there is evidence that there is active development and refinement of the thing.

keep up the good work and never mind the whiners.

• @alecsbuga said:
    Hey guys. I keep seeing people talking about the initial price being high. I'm just curious how much do you guys spend on average on an app?

Because when I set the initial price I honestly thought it's not high. I'm usually measuring app prices in Starbucks coffee. I don't buy Starbucks coffee anymore but I'm thinking "is this app worth 2-3 coffees? Ok. I buy it"

Maybe it's the fact that I know what happens behind the courtains and probably put a value on the process too.

Building an app is not such a piece of cake. And also there's the big brother Apple who takes 90$/yr just to allow you to be on the store with the cool guys and then... Hey are you making money? Give me 30%

As a developer of 25+ years experience I know the effort that goes into producing a relatively complex app that then has to work across a variety of operating system versions and devices.

It must take a thick skin to deal with the feedback that flies your way too and trying to sift through the numerous feature requests must be a thankless task.

That said (I was softening you up for the next comment ;)), the initial price did raise an eyebrow or two here and that was before the bugs were found (and quickly fixed it has to be said).

I think most experienced people around here will buy into a dev’s vision if they can see where it is likely to go. However at AU$15 full price for the majority of people who are looking for a more polished product (and don’t have the background) it may cause some issues.

Maybe a lower intro price with additional features as very small IAPs is the go?

I dunno, monetising this stuff a thankless task also. I hope you make enough to continue the vision and go on to develop more.

• @alecsbuga said:
    Because when I set the initial price I honestly thought it's not high.

>

Initial price would be okay for me, if app was finished article and it offered something unique.

As it stands, Samplist offers a different take on apps many of us have. A worthwhile take, and one many here are happy to help you develop. But at this time the app is still a work in progress. Yes?

As for Apple’s greed, I sympathise. If you want a good example of how a developer gains popularity and gets the price point just right - for himself as well as customers - you need look no further than Brambos.

• @alecsbuga said:

I get pissed off at people who complain about app prices. I paid the full price and I’m not whining about it. Building anything, even something that isn’t perfect, is difficult. In this case, I feel that my $9.99 was an investment. I look forward to Samplist’s continued development, but hope it remains relatively simple.

• @Zen210507 said:

@alecsbuga said:

>

Initial price would be okay for me, if app was finished article and it offered something unique.

As it stands, Samplist offers a different take on apps many of us have. A worthwhile take, and one many here are happy to help you develop. But at this time the app is still a work in progress. Yes?

As for Apple’s greed, I sympathise. If you want a good example of how a developer gains popularity and gets the price point just right - for himself as well as customers - you need look no further than Brambos.

The app will always be a work in progress because new ideas come every time. As for the bugs. Well each and every one of us use it differently. I wasn't expecting some of the use cases. Ex: loading huge samples. I made it as a beat slicer initially but hopefully it will be a full sampler

• @alecsbuga said:

@Zen210507 said:

@alecsbuga said:

>

The app will always be a work in progress because new ideas come every time. As for the bugs. Well each and every one of us use it differently. I wasn't expecting some of the use cases. Ex: loading huge samples. I made it as a beat slicer initially but hopefully it will be a full sampler

I'm interested in chopping bits from songs or possibly spoken audio. Can you confirm that something up to ten minutes in length could get sliced? I ca currently do that in BM3 and Cubasis but I'm always looking for something more efficient.

• edited February 2018

@alecsbuga said:
    The app will always be a work in progress because new ideas come every time. <

>

Sure, but you know as well as anyone that some apps arrive in better shape than others. Doing what is claimed for any app is a must. As is what is promised. An app called Skram gained lots of traction here, for example, and the developers made promise after promise...then it was abandoned. Few would gamble with them again.

As for the bugs. Well each and every one of us use it differently. I wasn't expecting some of the use cases. Ex: loading huge samples. I made it as a beat slicer initially but hopefully it will be a full sampler

>

See, now that is a fundamental difference in thinking. To me, the first thing I wanted to do was load a full track to chop up. The first thing the mighty Doug did, in his demo, was load up a track to play with. Never even occurred to me that loading a track in a supported format would not have been tested every which way. BTW, to my way of thinking a ‘huge’ sample would be 20 minutes. A single .wav of something over 3 minutes seems very reasonable.

• @alecsbuga said:

Lots of factors involved: is there competition/existing alternatives? How much functionality does it provide? Does the dev have a credible proven track record for quality and updates? Etc.

But ultimately the price will be determined by what customers are willing to pay, which in itself is defined by the general marketplace pricing.

Personally - I’m in the market for a lightweight, rock solid, easy to use AU sampler. Doesn’t need arp’s and sequencers as Brambos has that covered, or fx as I have a ton of those already. So £6 or £7 for a bug-free version of that would work for me. If whistles and bells are added and it becomes the killer standalone iOS sampler then yeah, we’re looking at £20+value.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Personally - I’m in the market for a lightweight, rock solid, easy to use AU sampler.

>

That is hitting the nail squarely on the head, Monzo. Mr Buga can do well, slotting this app into that gap.

• I'm working on improving the audio engine so it holds nicely with longer samples. But messing with those on iPad Airs 1... not sure how it will hold up considering the small amount of RAM and how "optimized" iOS is in killing memory hungry apps.
    Usually apps that deal with large samples stream from disk. But to be able to chop it up in small bits you need to load it into memory.
    I've tried streaming the sample from disk and play the sample from start point to end point, but it ads latency. It's not meant for realtime performance.

There's a photo which applies to every project I've worked on :)

• A certain amount of backwards compatibility is appreciated. But the Air 1 might be too far back. Progress, with anything Apple, is often a matter of interpretation, these days. Though I think most here would agree that AU is the way to go.

• @Zen210507 said:
    A certain amount of backwards compatibility is appreciated. But the Air 1 might be too far back.

You should see the number of support emails I'm getting about iPad 2 and 3 models not working with my apps :D

• @Zen210507 said:
    A certain amount of backwards compatibility is appreciated. But the Air 1 might be too far back. Progress, with anything Apple, is often a matter of interpretation, these days. Though I think most here would agree that AU is the way to go.

Yeah lack of AU is the only reason I’ve not bought it. I know mentioning this annoys some people, but it’s just being honest. No price is worth it to myself without this feature. That’s why I mention it again, as price was discussed by the dev. Price is relative to what a person perseption of the app is - to myself the app in its current state has little worth, so I won’t buy it. As an AU the app has lots of worth and I would but at the full price. Everyone has their own perseption of it’s worth.

Ok, so some will moan whatever, that’s the internet, just ignore it. It is fair however to say ‘this is what I would like’ in a polite manner. If it becomes clear that the app will not become what I want, or it was not really designed to be that, then personally I just forget it. Only commented again, as I think it’s important when discussing price that it’s more to do with what the app is to each person than the actual price in money terms.

• From what I read between the lines, maybe totally wrong not being a dev,but a different coding language is required for AU support as it leans towards CC+. If that’s the case a overnight adaption is not happening and it takes a lot of engineering? I may be wrong !

• Guys, just for my morale :) Can we stop mentioning "If it had AU..."
    It drives me crazy because I can't implement it yet. And that's the main reason the app has the controls in that upper area. So it fits EXACTLY in Garage band. When I designed the UI I designed it over Garage Band.
    So believe me... I want this as badly as everyone. I'm well aware how useful this would be. It's just too damn difficult at the moment for me.

I'm really hoping the AudioKit guys will wrap their heads around it and I can easily implement it too.
    I've watched a 1hr long tech talk about Realtime audio in C++ and although I understood it, it seemed like rocket science :)

On another note... just received a youtube comment "You're a stupid gay" on the Samplist walkthrough video from a Romanian fellow. So yeah the internet is a very awkward place :smiley:

• @alecsbuga said:
    On another note... just received a youtube comment "You're a stupid gay" on the Samplist walkthrough video from a Romanian fellow. So yeah the internet is a very awkward place :smiley:

I can sympathize with the occasional unpleasantness of the internet. And the Youtube comments section, more than any other part of the online galaxy seems to be the web's sink drain where all the nasty rotten bits come together. Ignore the immature idiots and enjoy the praise, would be my advice.

• @alecsbuga said:

>

Most likely a 12 year-old monkey spanker.

I long ago abandoned anti-social media, due to it being inundated with the most vile bunch of twats I’d ever encountered.

• @alecsbuga said:
    Guys, just for my morale :) Can we stop mentioning "If it had AU..."
    It drives me crazy because I can't implement it yet. And that's the main reason the app has the controls in that upper area. So it fits EXACTLY in Garage band. When I designed the UI I designed it over Garage Band.
    So believe me... I want this as badly as everyone. I'm well aware how useful this would be. It's just too damn difficult at the moment for me.

I'm really hoping the AudioKit guys will wrap their heads around it and I can easily implement it too.
    I've watched a 1hr long tech talk about Realtime audio in C++ and although I understood it, it seemed like rocket science :)

Fair enough. I’m sure you understand my point on personal worth though. It’s always going to be difficult finding the right price point for an app for music making. iOS is very skewed towards the high sales low price market, which does not fit the low sales of music making apps well. I can see why some devs have to adjust their prices at times.

Yep the internet does get some crazy people making comment.

Wishing you well with your endeavours

• Thanks guys!
    On a more happier note.
    Presets save all the parameters for each slice B-)
    Still needs a little tweaking and polish before sending it in the wild B-)

PS: Presets are saved as JSON files with the same name as the sample in the Samples folder, that is if you were curios to browse the Samplist folder in your Files app :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just got this and I really like it.
    thanks dev. It’s great being able to pull in a really long wav and search through it chromatically till you find a sweet spot.
    So many apps are hugely over complicated , this is straight to the point. Like AudioShare or loopy.
    One day all apps will be made this way ;)

• Sent another beta to the testers.
    Please read the update notes and test the points mentioned in there.
    Thanks ;)

• @greengrocer said:
    @alecsbuga Bought it but all wav samples I want to import through Audioshare or Dropbox crash the Application. I'm on iOS 10.3.3 iPad Air 2.

Me too...... :(

• @studs1966 said:

@greengrocer said:
    @alecsbuga Bought it but all wav samples I want to import through Audioshare or Dropbox crash the Application. I'm on iOS 10.3.3 iPad Air 2.

Me too...... :(

The lastest update which fixes this is right now under review with Apple. Should be up in 30 min or so.