Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there an app that allows you to stitch pieces of different sounds together?

BM3 is great for layering samples but I’m trying to find a way to take a slice from a few different samples and stitch them together for some interesting sound design.. if that makes sense :p

I was hoping that AudioShare had these kind of audio editing capabilities. The closest workaround I’ve found is to cut the samples in AudioShare, export them to pads in Samplebot and then record the sequence of them playing one after the other.. quite a long winded workaround.

Any suggestions welcome, perhaps I’m missing something simple.

Comments

• Why not cutting and reassembling in bm3?

• Sliver or Mitosynth.
    Mitosynth f.e. can use up to 32 samples and play blend trough them via a kind of vector synthesis on steroids.
    Borderlands Granular can layer tons of samples too.
    But they all lack features like time-strechting and such.

• @mschenkel.it said:
    Why not cutting and reassembling in bm3?

Is there an easy way to get each layer playing one after the other?

• @Cib said:
    Sliver or Mitosynth.
    Mitosynth f.e. can use up to 32 samples and play blend trough them via a kind of vector synthesis on steroids.
    Borderlands Granular can layer tons of samples too.
    But they all lack features like time-strechting and such.

Mitosynth is a good suggestion and awesome for sound design.. I don’t think you can trim the samples inside Mitosynth though, or did I miss that?

The ideal would be to see the wavs visually and trim and stitch them all together to make a new one.

• @Keenan Maybe look at TwistedWave. Its really great for audio editing. You can cut out parts within a file or from other files and paste them around, trim, apply effects, etc.

• @gmslayton said:
    @Keenan Maybe look at TwistedWave. Its really great for audio editing. You can cut out parts within a file or from other files and paste them around, trim, apply effects, etc.

This one?

• @Keenan yes. I use it all the time. I just discovered a few things that I am going to do a video on soon.

• @gmslayton said:
    @Keenan yes. I use it all the time. I just discovered a few things that I am going to do a video on soon.

Awesome thanks Mitch! I see that it exports MP3 too (no OGG though). Can’t wait, I’ve enjoyed and learned a lot from your videos! :)

• Try this in Garageband:

• Put each sample on a separate track (mic recording instrument). Put a sample on multiple tracks if you want to take multiple slices from it.
    • Use the left/right markers to select your slice. Move them around to get the sequence you want.
    • Merge the tracks (track controls, select one, select merge, tap the other tracks)
    • Fine-tune cuts in BM3
  • It doesn't sound like the original post is asking about melding/synthesizing sounds together... but in the line of the Mitosynth suggestions others have made, I'd also suggest Synthscaper for melding/synthesizing different sounds together for sound design.

• @bleep said:
    Try this in Garageband:

• Put each sample on a separate track (mic recording instrument). Put a sample on multiple tracks if you want to take multiple slices from it.
    • Use the left/right markers to select your slice. Move them around to get the sequence you want.
    • Merge the tracks (track controls, select one, select merge, tap the other tracks)
    • Fine-tune cuts in BM3

This works pretty well, thanks! :D

• @skiphunt said:
    It doesn't sound like the original post is asking about melding/synthesizing sounds together... but in the line of the Mitosynth suggestions others have made, I'd also suggest Synthscaper for melding/synthesizing different sounds together for sound design.

Its definitely on my “wishlist” :)

• caustic stand alone audio editor does this very well

• edited February 2018

@gmslayton said:
    @Keenan yes. I use it all the time. I just discovered a few things that I am going to do a video on soon.

If you don't mind, could you answer a few questions about TwistedWave?

1. Can you import and export using Files or AudioShare?
    2. Does is support current Audiobus?

Thank you.

• @kobamoto said:
    caustic stand alone audio editor does this very well

Caustic looks very intriguing! All those synths and samplers for that price.. sounds almost too good to be true!?

Do you have a screenshot of the audio editor?

• @Keenan said:

@mschenkel.it said:
    Why not cutting and reassembling in bm3?

Is there an easy way to get each layer playing one after the other?

Well, I wouldn't suggest layering the samples. Instead put each sample on a separate pad and then sequence them to a pattern the way you want them.

• @JudgeDredd 1. yes you can import and export to a lot of places. 2. yes it supports Audiobus 3 in both the input and output slots.

• It sounds like the original poster is trying to switch sounds, from one to another, rather than layer? I’m imagining something that sounds like an old style tape loop, where people would slice up different reels of tap, and connect them together, into a loop. Like Simon and Garfunkel’s “Cecilia”. I think you basically need a monophonic sampler, that cuts off the last sample when the new one starts.

If you are playing the sounds into a mic or something, you can use a looper with a “replace” mode, rather than overdub, where you can punch in, to your loop.

It’s all canned sounds, but iWavestation magically produces these kind of loops when you hit the random button.

• edited February 2018

This is kinda what I’m wanting to do (@ 4 mins).

• @gmslayton said:
    @JudgeDredd 1. yes you can import and export to a lot of places. 2. yes it supports Audiobus 3 in both the input and output slots.

Awesome,Thank you.

• If I was doing this, I would use Cubasis (use whatever DAW you have). I would put each sample on its own track, add the effects I want to each, and slide the files around until I liked how they blended in Time. Then I would apply any crossfading if it needed it, then render out the new sound file.
    I probably wouldn’t try to automate the process unless I didn’t care about how the sounds mixed together over time, since that would have to be done by ear. In Cubasis it seems you are limited to moving in .01 seconds increments of time, but that is probably fine enough for most purposes. Click on the time readout to toggle the clock mode to minutes/ seconds to be able to use the fine time increments, and make sure snapping is off.

• If you’re cutting samples in BM3 then I don’t understand why you wouldn’t arrange them in BM3 as well?

• @keenan I understand what you are trying to achieve. Any DAW would work, especially BM3, since you could process each sound individually, setup a simple pattern and then export the audio. each of those 3 sounds in the video have had some post processing then he just put them together. Twisted wave would also work since you could process each sound differently, export each of the processed sounds, copy them all into twisted wave and then just paste them at the end.

I am working on some tutorial ideas and this one might be a good quick tip video topic. Maybe I can get something out soon on this.

• Thanks for the suggestions, you guys are awesome!! B)

@gmslayton Looking forward to the video!

• edited February 2018

@Keenan said:

@kobamoto said:

Caustic looks very intriguing! All those synths and samplers for that price.. sounds almost too good to be true!?

get the caustic editor for the volca sampler from the App Store, I think its free and it has all the editing features of the editor in the caustic app. its so quick and easy to use and you can export to audioshare easy

• @kobamoto said:

@Keenan said:

@kobamoto said:

get the caustic editor for the volca sampler from the App Store, I think its free and it has all the editing features of the editor in the caustic app. its so quick and easy to use and you can export to audioshare easy

It’s a good one, but no iOS 11 support. I wish it would get an update.

• edited February 2018

@CracklePot said:

@kobamoto said:

@Keenan said:

@kobamoto said:

1 year and not a whisper from the dev. Nice guy...

• @CracklePot said:

@kobamoto said:

@Keenan said:

@kobamoto said:

oh, I see . yep I haven't updated yet. the devs have to pay an annual fee right so if it's still in the App Store doesn't that mean not abandoned or????