Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

With so many apps, is Kaossilator redundant?

Was watching some videos of the Kaossilator Pro the other day and I could feel the GAS (gear acquisition sydrom) kicking in. Then I started thinking, with the state of apps, there must be apps that have made the Kaossilator obsolete?

Are any of you using a combination of apps to recreate the Kaossilator experience, or is the Kaossilator Pro Plus worth the the price of entry? I guess I am looking for a loop recorder in combo with a bunch of presets, scales, and arpeggio gate options...

Comments

• Maybe we should ask @jimpavloff or @alecsbuga for their opinions :smirk:

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Maybe we should ask @jimpavloff or @alecsbuga for their opinions :smirk:

I still use it. It's a fun app to play with

• edited February 2018

@alecsbuga said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Maybe we should ask @jimpavloff or @alecsbuga for their opinions :smirk:

I still use it. It's a fun app to play with

Funny that one of Korg's flagship products looks like it was designed to run on a Gingerbread Android device, no? I'm thinking it's time for someone with appreciation for good UI design to fill that market gap...

On the other hand there are midi controller type apps like Midi Studio, Modstep and Lemur that can be used in conjunction with another app like Gadget or whatever to reproduce some aspects of a Kaossilator workflow but it's a lot of planning and setting up, third party purchases like Audiobus, Midiflow etc.

• I never really enjoyed iKaossilator, but I can’t tell if it is because of the workflow, the sounds, or the interface. It is becoming so much clearer to me that the workflow, design, and UI are becoming deciding factors for me. I have had an SP404SX sampler for just under three months and I feel like I have had it for years, it seems to easy to use and remember what and where the buttons are and what they do. @alecsbuga new app really looks great, as do @brambos and audio damage apps, which makes me want to spend more time in them.

Did any of you ever get into iKaossilator? How does it compare to a hardware version?

• Try Beatonal running midi into something else (eg different Gadget tracks). It will give you a similar experience.

• I never thought that iKaossilator is actually cool for playing melodies, baselines and whatever instrument line. The semi tones are just too close together for my taste, I don't have control over which tone I want to hit.

• edited February 2018

I use it (the app) as a 5 part drum machine, really fast way to get some interesting stuff down for later use.

I haven't looked at the hardware pro version but I do see them often for cheap on the used markets

• One can never have too many 'Korg Sounds' and I do wish this was available as a 'Gadget' inside Gadget :)
    (Gadget could also use the 'Kaos Pads' that are present in other Korg apps such as iM1, iMS-20, iPolysix etc. etc).

• Actually Rhythm Studio has a Kaos Pad.

• The iKaossilator is amazing in its workflow but the limits sometimes make it feel like a ‘toy’ which makes me sad. That was the app that actually convinced me to go full steam ahead with iOS music! Then I found out it’s basically abandonedware :( ... I at least wish you could build your own patches because the kaos pad on that thing is perfect....or even just exporting the tracks to other apps (not only the loops and not just to ableton)

I would get a kaosilattor Pro + if you have the money and like it a lot. It can be redundant but then again I’ve seen YouTube vids somewhere with people plugging 4-5 of them in together hahahahha

• Hardly ever use it, but still it survives my periodic app culls, so it must still have something.

• @Samu said:
    One can never have too many 'Korg Sounds' and I do wish this was available as a 'Gadget' inside Gadget :)
    (Gadget could also use the 'Kaos Pads' that are present in other Korg apps such as iM1, iMS-20, iPolysix etc. etc).

The kaossilator in iMS-20 is my favourite. That app can really make some good sounds.
    But it’s hell to sync.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Try Beatonal running midi into something else (eg different Gadget tracks). It will give you a similar experience.

Never heard of it, but I just bought it on your advice :smile:

Looks ok from the description, now I’ll try it out.

• edited February 2018

The app you want is Groove Rider. And yeah the hardware is probably not necessary, but iKaossilator is fucking awesome and too simple for some to enjoy it seems. I’ve made many complete tracks with just it and had a blast doing so. On the iPhone. Never thought the lack of a grid was an issue. It’s all scale locked and notes being played replace already recorded ones so you just close your eyes, listen, and tap around and swipe until it’s good, then save a loop list to trigger for song sections. After a while, you get a feel where the notes are
    relative to each other and can play competently. And it still has note replace recording done in a fashion no other iOS app or anything has done as far as I can tell and I looked so I keep it around based on that rare feature. But Groove Rider is the vastly more advanced replacement I was looking for

• Blimey, haven’t used this in years, was fun when it came out though

• edited February 2018

The cool thing (one of em) is that it exports Ableton Live projects...the wav stems of which can be used wherever. It’s good fun to make a quick gem on the iPhone and build something fully fledged in Live

• @Littlewoodg said:
    The cool thing (one of em) is that it exports Ableton Live projects...the wav stems of which can be used wherever. It’s good fun to make a quick gem on the iPhone and build something fully fledged in Live

Does it include the effect tail when you export? I seem to remember that being an issue - but maybe I’m thinking of the wrong app.

• I just introduced my kid to iKaossilator. Haven’t seen my iPad since.

• edited February 2018

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Does it include the effect tail when you export? I seem to remember that being an issue - but maybe I’m thinking of the wrong app.

What it does is export the loop twice to catch the tails. So a 4 bar pattern exported will be 8 bars. The problem I guess is when you only want 4 bars plus a tail. But honestly I wouldn’t mess with it in that fashion cause it’s just a fun thing on its own and there’s better stuff for more detailed work

• edited February 2018

@CracklePot said:
    I just introduced my kid to iKaossilator. Haven’t seen my iPad since.

Kids gonna be spoiled and wonder why other music software is so unintuitive. Source: been there

On another note, I think once Klevgrands mastering app comes out, it might be time to revisit this and other simpler apps just to see if they can be polished up a bit just as quickly as they can let you make the music

• Anybody know if iKaossilator runs well on Android? My kid is gonna ask for it soon, I know that for sure. I think it should be fine, but it is a lot of money to gamble on smooth functionality.
    Probably not many have tried the Android version around here, but maybe you know someone or heard something?

• Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I am going to hold off a bit and force myself to invest a bit more time into iKaossilator and GR16 rather than pick up more gear... At least that’s what I’ll tell myself. Will probably end up with a hardware version. It’s a sickness :)

• @db909 said:

@CracklePot said:
    I just introduced my kid to iKaossilator. Haven’t seen my iPad since.

Kids gonna be spoiled and wonder why other music software is so unintuitive. Source: been there

On another note, I think once Klevgrands mastering app comes out, it might be time to revisit this and other simpler apps just to see if they can be polished up a bit just as quickly as they can let you make the music

I am going to show her Figure next. She already likes the LiveLoops in GarageBand, too.

• I designed a music curriculum for Japanese students that used the iPad and Figure was a favourite. Great app.

How do you control the volume of each part in iKaossilator? I played with it last night and couldnt find a “mixer”.

• @db909 said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

What it does is export the loop twice to catch the tails. So a 4 bar pattern exported will be 8 bars. The problem I guess is when you only want 4 bars plus a tail. But honestly I wouldn’t mess with it in that fashion cause it’s just a fun thing on its own and there’s better stuff for more detailed work

Thanks. I guess that’s better than nothing.

My other problem with it, TBH, is that I find it’s sounds to be pretty limited and recognisable. Nice as some of them are.

But it’s a brilliant app for jamming.

• edited February 2018

I own a KP3+, but beyond using it a a final delay/reverb, I’m yet to really make use of it in my setup. To really make use of it, I would need two of them. I’m sure if I put time into finding a workaround, I could find one.

• @papastank said:
    I own a KP3+, but beyond using it a a final delay/reverb, I’m yet to really make use of it in my setup. To really make use of it, I would need two of them. I’m sure if I put time into finding a workaround, I could find one.

I have the KP3+ as well, and feel I might have gotten the wrong one. I find that the sample record function is too limitted because of the non-looping nature of it. I think the looping record that the Kaossilator is what I am missing. I am sure Korg is aware of this, and made these two devices different for people just like me!

• edited February 2018

@DYMS said:
    I designed a music curriculum for Japanese students that used the iPad and Figure was a favourite. Great app.

How do you control the volume of each part in iKaossilator? I played with it last night and couldnt find a “mixer”.

You can’t, there is no mixer. But, you can “mix” by playing the sounds in the right area for fx in relation to one another and you basically use masking to your advantage. I’ve gotten better results by switching mono audio on in the device and listening carefully how the sounds are playing with each other. I wouldn’t say you can get mixes that rival more professional apps obviously, but you can get mixes that are better than other people iKaossilator stuff. You just gotta play the sounds all over the damn place and experiment. Pretty sure some of them have more than one effect going on.

Also if you can get by without quantization, that helps it sound better too since you won’t have note attacks all piling up on each other as much

• edited February 2018

@CracklePot said:
    Anybody know if iKaossilator runs well on Android? My kid is gonna ask for it soon, I know that for sure. I think it should be fine, but it is a lot of money to gamble on smooth functionality.
    Probably not many have tried the Android version around here, but maybe you know someone or heard something?

How can anyone know? What Android version? The latest one? What device? A tablet or phone? My last android device was an Asus Zenphone and according to the specs it was 100s of times better than my older Samsung tablet. The newer phone has worse lag than the older tablet at which point I gave up that platform for good. (Nothing significant has changed in the musical app selection there anyway since.)

• edited February 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@CracklePot said:
    Anybody know if iKaossilator runs well on Android? My kid is gonna ask for it soon, I know that for sure. I think it should be fine, but it is a lot of money to gamble on smooth functionality.

How can anyone know? What Android version? The latest one? What device? A tablet or phone? My last android device was an Asus Zenphone and according to the specs it was 100s of times better than my older Samsung tablet. The newer phone has worse lag than the older tablet at which point I gave up that platform for good. (Nothing significant has changed in the musical app selection there anyway since.)

Samsung optimized it's stuff for having less input lag. This resulted in Samsung devices working much smoother than all other Android devices, except the Google devices (Nexus Series and now Pixel series) . But input lag is becoming worse and worse again on Android especially with it;s latest version Oreo (Android 8) it seems a disaster. If you do music on touch devices avoid Android. I really say this with pain because Android devices are so much cheaper and can ex and import stuff so much easier and have most of the time sd cart slots for easy expandable memory :(