Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS Volume Control

Just ran into a problem I hadn't anticipated. Was doing a walk-through with my 'guy' (vocalist) and he wanted my keyboard to be louder compared to the backing track. Unfortunately ForScore's track volume just turns down the entire iOS master volume. I'm running my keyboard using mainly BeatHawk sound instruments via AUM. Should I be running the track audio through a bus into AUM as well? I tried using AUM's file player but that was clunky as hell.

I know I'm not the first person to run into this issue. Will I really need to split the audio into left/right channels and control the volume at the sound board?

Comments

• Does ForScore connect to AUM? Or are you running both AUM and ForScore separately and just letting the system mix the outputs? Or is AUM being fed into ForScore as a backing track somehow? Does ForScore support audio file export of the score?

Sorry so many questions, but I couldn’t find the answers when I looked up th app on the AppStore. Am willing to help out, just need more info. :)

• @CracklePot said:
    Does ForScore connect to AUM? Or are you running both AUM and ForScore separately and just letting the system mix the outputs? Or is AUM being fed into ForScore as a backing track somehow? Does ForScore support audio file export of the score?

ForScore is mainly just to display a score, so not AU - the ability to connect/play an audio file is sort of an 'extra' feature. Only volume control is tied to main iOS volume.

I have mp3 backing tracks from a separate source. Just need to play them at a different volume from the keyboard sounds.

Sorry so many questions, but I couldn’t find the answers when I looked up th app on the AppStore. Am willing to help out, just need more info. :)

• I think if you run all three elements in AUM, it would be best. One track has your file in a file player. One track has you on KB. Third track could be the vocalist. Then you can adjust all 3 to optimal levels individually.
    Make sure you have AudioShare to make it easy to get your .mp3 file playing in AUM, if you still need to import it onto your iPad. If your .mp3 is already in AudioShare it should be as easy as loading it in AUM’s file player. Make sure all the looping and sync stuff is off in the file player. I think it should be that way by default.
    Post again if you are still having trouble.

• Beginning to think I'll need AudioBus after all:

1 - to maybe help route the audio
    2 - to save state. In spite of Beathawk supposedly being AUv3, every time I open a saved file in AUM it has lost all selected sound patches and doesn't remember the midi keyboard selection :(

• Yeah the state savings works well with BeatHawk in AudioBus.

• @CracklePot said:
    I think if you run all three elements in AUM, it would be best. One track has your file in a file player. One track has you on KB. Third track could be the vocalist. Then you can adjust all 3 to optimal levels individually.

I think this is the right way to go, although the vocalist will go direct to sound board via wireless mic.

Make sure you have AudioShare to make it easy to get your .mp3 file playing in AUM, if you still need to import it onto your iPad. If your .mp3 is already in AudioShare it should be as easy as loading it in AUM’s file player. Make sure all the looping and sync stuff is off in the file player. I think it should be that way by default.
    Post again if you are still having trouble.

If I open Audioshare as an IAA then tap to go select the file, I have no button to return to AUM! If I open Audioshare from FilePlayer.........................

oh wait - once I open it there, I can just hit that little play button up top! Hah! Yeah, that solves one big problem, separating the track vs instrument volumes.

Now if I can just figure out what midi cc to send from ForScore over to AUM to bring up a particular saved session then that might just work and I can worry about learning the damn songs! FML

• I bought AudioBus 3 and can basically reproduce this setup. A couple of plugins from MidiFlow are needed to add keyboard splits/transpositions, but all good. I think it was actually easier to tie the keyboard volume slider to my sound app (BeatHawk) using the midi learn interface, compared to AUM. But I’m still stuck trying to trigger presets :(

• Follow-up:

Backing track - triggering this inside of OnSong - it is tied to system volume this way.
    Keyboard volume slider - inside of AUM I set volume to Channel 1, CC 7 - it's the default value, and it works.

So now my instrument audio is controlled by me live, the backing track is full volume to the sound board.

• If it’s an option for you, I would send app feedback, come up with a workaround (like a pdf viewer or other app?) and just dump forscore until the issue is fixed. This sounds like the modern day equivalent of blowing into an NES cartridge and we shouldn’t have these types of problems.

• @donblanco said:
    Follow-up:

Backing track - triggering this inside of OnSong - it is tied to system volume this way.
    Keyboard volume slider - inside of AUM I set volume to Channel 1, CC 7 - it's the default value, and it works.

So now my instrument audio is controlled by me live, the backing track is full volume to the sound board.

Nice fix! It’s amazing how sometimes the simplest solutions fix a mess of weird app problems

• @donblanco Bravo! B) Glad to hear you got it working.