Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need Live Set-Up Ideas

edited February 2018 in Other

I play guitar in a hard rock cover band and I'm going to be adding in some synth sounds, piano and other effects through my iPad. My list of gear that I'll use it listed below. I'm looking for a sturdy setup for this gear. It will probably be just to the left of my pedalboard and microphone stand. I've seen media stands, keyboards stands that can you place a table on, etc. Any ideas would be great, thanks!

1. iPad Pro 12.9"
  2. Novation LaunchPad Pro
  3. Novation AudioHub
  4. Arturia MiniLab MK2

Comments

• Access to a 3D printer?

If not.

Access to Home Depot?

If not.

Access to the internet?

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Access to a 3D printer?

If not.

Access to Home Depot?

If not.

Access to the internet?

Of course I've looked around and searched online, LOL! Just wanted to see if someone else is using a similar setup during shows.

• Nice little setup. Bet it would all fit in a goodwill laptop bag.

A solid single tier keyboard stand with a board over it is prolly how I'd do it. To lightly secure stuff, tape pencils (or similar) down on the board at the edges of your gear. Or go velcro.

• Not sure if the 12.9 would fit on this properly but they make for cheap, handy ipad anglers. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00326334/

• edited February 2018

@syrupcore said:
    Nice little setup. Bet it would all fit in a goodwill laptop bag.

A solid single tier keyboard stand with a board over it is prolly how I'd do it. To lightly secure stuff, tape pencils (or similar) down on the board at the edges of your gear. Or go velcro.

LMAO I just googled "Tape pencils" ! D'OH

• @AndyPlankton Maybe we should start a business?

• @syrupcore said:
    @AndyPlankton Maybe we should start a business?

You're on, you come up with the ideas...I'll check if they are already real things or not :D

• @syrupcore said:
    Nice little setup. Bet it would all fit in a goodwill laptop bag.

Awesome, clever tip about the pencils. I love it. I have been using silicone pot holder mats to keep my stuff from sliding everywhere.

• I made a board with a little lip on the edge so that I could tilt the entire thing and little devices wouldn't fall off. Just get a strip of edging or cut a small 0.5-1" strip (could even come from the edge of the board itself) and glue it on with some decent woodworking glue. I used clamps but if you flip the board after the glue up and put a bunch of books on it or something, would work fine.

Another nice advantage with going the board route is if you're playing regularly you can either velcro everything down and pack it up just like you would a pedal board and/or cut holes in the board to run cables, etc. Can paint it blackmetalblack too, natch.

• This drummer suggests Googling "percussion table". Portable, and configurable in some cases.

• edited February 2018

@syrupcore said:
    Not sure if the 12.9 would fit on this properly but they make for cheap, handy ipad anglers. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00326334/

I was just about to suggest these things, one for the launchpad Pro and another for the minilab. There would most likely be room somewhere for the audiohub too.

I'm not sure these would suit an iPad but add in a generic stand and it's a very usable and cheap setup with a small footprint.

• I build some stands in my own and my suggestion (for live) is flight cases (like pedal boards) and things in place so it becomes the same at home.
    ATM I’m not going to live gigging (more than record video for YouTube channel and so) but if I come back will do that or go the standalone (with proper flight case) route.

• Thinking about how to make the ipad a more robust instrument, by protecting it and the fragile connector, got me thinking about commercial kiosks, that use an ipad in them. They are metal shells that you can bolt to stuff, and lock the ipad inside.

This company Mount-It makes some commercial, steel ipad holders:

A desktop one, with articulating angle:
    https://amazon.com/Mount-Anti-Theft-Premium-Locking-Displays/dp/B01MQPOBSC

And they have a wall mount version, which a musician could just use as a metal case, and bolt it to some other gear, or table, or something.
    https://amazon.com/Mount-Enclosure-Anti-Theft-Function-Displays/dp/B01N1LXLMM

• Thanks for the great ideas everyone!!!! Really appreciate it!

• @Processaurus said:
    Thinking about how to make the ipad a more robust instrument, by protecting it and the fragile connector, got me thinking about commercial kiosks, that use an ipad in them. They are metal shells that you can bolt to stuff, and lock the ipad inside.

This company Mount-It makes some commercial, steel ipad holders:

A desktop one, with articulating angle:
    https://amazon.com/Mount-Anti-Theft-Premium-Locking-Displays/dp/B01MQPOBSC

And they have a wall mount version, which a musician could just use as a metal case, and bolt it to some other gear, or table, or something.
    https://amazon.com/Mount-Enclosure-Anti-Theft-Function-Displays/dp/B01N1LXLMM

The problem with that and docks is still iOS 11.
    In fact with CCK and any other solution related to iPad musicking.
    :trollface:

Jokes aside... thanks for the link/idea. It could be perfect companion to flight cases.

• edited February 2018

I've built a box with few pieces of ply, put hinges and clips for locking and 4 rubber feet. It contains the audio interface and few controllers. It mounts on a solid cymbal stand or can sit on a keyboard stand. It has a built-in mic holder and packs up to be carried as a suitcase or by the arm strap.

• @supadom said:
    I've built a box with few pieces of ply, put hinges and clips for locking and 4 rubber feet. It contains the audio interface and few controllers. It mounts on a solid cymbal stand or can sit on a keyboard stand. It has a built-in mic holder and packs up to be carried as a suitcase or by the arm strap.

Pix plz

• Go-go dancers
    Pyrotechnics
    Disco balls
    Lazers

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Go-go dancers
    Pyrotechnics
    Disco balls
    Lazers

Brain implants

• edited February 2018

@supadom said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Go-go dancers
    Pyrotechnics
    Disco balls
    Lazers

Brain implants

Music will be useful... but if you got the others maybe not completely needed.

:trollface:

• @syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

Pix plz

• @supadom said:

@syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

Pix plz

Handsome!

• @syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

@syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

Pix plz

Handsome!

Notice a sponge strip variation of the pencil idea to keep Ipad from falling off.

• edited February 2018

@supadom said:
    Notice a sponge strip variation of the pencil idea to keep Ipad from falling off.

Nice! Also noticed only this time: a frigging harp!

How does the cymbal stand mount work? Is it not wobbly?

• @syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

No, it's a tight fit but also gets through to the top bit where it is lodged into another hole. A lot of thought went into it ;)

• @supadom said:

@syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

No, it's a tight fit but also gets through to the top bit where it is lodged into another hole. A lot of thought went into it ;)

I love this idea. How big is the plate on the bottom? I wasn't really thinking it would be wobbly from a loose connection; more thinking about the size plates I've come across and thinking center-only mount would invariably lead to wobble with a box that large/heavy. Fantastic to hear it doesn't. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC-EMMP is the sort of plate I'm thinking of.

• @syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

@syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

I love this idea. How big is the plate on the bottom? I wasn't really thinking it would be wobbly from a loose connection; more thinking about the size plates I've come across and thinking center-only mount would invariably lead to wobble with a box that large/heavy. Fantastic to hear it doesn't. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC-EMMP is the sort of plate I'm thinking of.

Haha, no fancy stuff as plates etc. All wood (easy to work with)

You should be able to make it out of this picture. It is definitely super steady at table hight. I've used it standing too but it does get a wobbly if stage is not solid. Part of the problem might be the weight of Akai EIE that is built in on one side. Lighter interface might make things much more steady.

• @supadom said:

@syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

@syrupcore said:

@supadom said:

Haha, no fancy stuff as plates etc. All wood (easy to work with)

You should be able to make it out of this picture. It is definitely super steady at table hight. I've used it standing too but it does get a wobbly if stage is not solid. Part of the problem might be the weight of Akai EIE that is built in on one side. Lighter interface might make things much more steady.

Great, thank you for the photo. So the stand is pushed into a DIY 'plate' of sorts (the block attached to the top) but is that even threaded? Or just gravity and awesomeness?

• Gravity, friction, no thread, awesomeness optional. I've made two of them so I don't think I got lucky but you might find it a bit of a trial and error.

The metal plate in the link looks more pro but not sure how much weight it can take. The one I've built will not get your gear broken unless some punter throws himself at it :smile: