Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai MPD232

Happy belated birthday to me. Got a cool new addition arriving tomorrow so can’t wait to hook this up to my iPad :)

Comments

• Nice, I have the little brother, MPD226

• @richardyot said:
    Nice, I have the little brother, MPD226

It was hard deciding between the two but I’m a sucker for step sequencers.

• Looks like fun :smile:

• Oh jealous, was looking at that last year seems the ideal controller for BM3

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Oh jealous, was looking at that last year seems the ideal controller for BM3

That’s my main aim and it looks like I can map the controllers on the device itself. I checked BM3 settings and was amazed how much can be mapped. Should be fun.

• Would love to see how you use it. I can get how the pads would be ideal for BM3 and/or iMPC Pro 2. But how do you incorporate the step sequencer, when there are so many full-featured sequencers on iOS?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Would love to see how you use it. I can get how the pads would be ideal for BM3 and/or iMPC Pro 2. But how do you incorporate the step sequencer, when there are so many full-featured sequencers on iOS?

I agree, but I guess inspiration can come in many forms and really the sequencer is a nice added feature. Will let you know.

• Well 24 hours in and my MPD232 is working really well. Hooks up nicely to iPad Air 2 via CCK and used so far with BM3 (obviously :)), iMPC Pro 2, plus briefly with Sunrizer, Grooverider etc.,

It is powered from my iPad but in a low powered mode so no fancy illuminated pads. I soon corrected this by adding an adaptor from my box of tricks and now everything is awesome.

At first I thought the pads were far too hard and was unsure but now I am banging like a pro and think this thing is a top notch controller for iOS. You do need to adjust velocity, curves etc., to suit your style of play.

The MPD seems to bring out more expressive playing, very fun, is fully programmable on the device and with MIDI learn and assignable settings such as in BM3. WOW - lots of control. I like it a lot :)

• +2 for MpD Series. Amazing pads, Knob and Fader layout. I have an MPD 226 for sale with a fully mapped BM3 Preset in memory for $125 US. Love the controller but don’t need it or my Quneo anymore.

• Can the sequencer buttons on it be used as regular midi cc buttons instead?

• @ToMess said:
    Can the sequencer buttons on it be used as regular midi cc buttons instead?

I don’t think so but you shouldn’t need them as all the buttons, sliders and rotaries can be programmed independently x3 in bank A, B and C.

• The 232 is totally awesome, although I've managed to accidently change the timing of the onboard step sequencer about a thousand times. I made a template for TouchVIZ and I can't wait to be sequencing up effect on/off triggers.

The only possible thing that could make this better is an XY pad.

• WOW sorry for going on about this but some might be interested. The MPD232 should be standard issue for anyone seriously using BM3. I have now assigned transport controls, even record and bank select buttons. It’s so great to record a loop across several channels, switching between banks and all from my remote device. Intuitive and easy :)

• I am intrigued. I would love to see a video of your adventures controlling BM3 (or any other favorite apps) with the MPD232.

• edited February 2018

I got everything mapped except for menu/select controls. Be dope to be able to search/cycle through sounds than press to select. The nob and directional pad only controls the MpD preset banks. I bet there’s a way to get to it somehow.

• i have the 226. i love it.

• edited February 2018

heres is my mpd218 with the ipad air 2. I will show my set uop with the ipad pro
    12.9 and the mpk249 my go to rig

• So how you use the sequencer? Can you use the sequencer in some app? Or you need to program the sequence inside the MPD and then record into software realtime? Can you map Note Repeat / Roll time from BM3 to some knob? Is swing good? Can you map perhaps swing slider to BM3? I need more info. This generic pads and knobs you can find anywhere...

• Perhaps someone can help with a MPD232 problem. I have deleted the logic profile, which is the very one I need. Can it be down loaded somewhere, or the machine factory restored?

• edited November 2022

Anyone know?

• is the midi clock input solid when using the sequencer?
    • Is it a separate sequence per bank?
    • When you press stop or change banks, does the sequencer immediately stop, or does it wait till the end of the bar.
    • I assume that quantising is on 32’s by default?

That it’s powered via an iPad, and that you can change the midi note config on the box makes it really interesting for me.