Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AU Synth Drum Suggestions?

I am not a big groovebox guy. I am also not a big sampler guy when it comes to drums. I bought Elastic Drums because I thought it could be a go to for making drums in Cubasis. Used it once or twice. Kind of a 'meh' feeling. I don't like to switch back and fourth between a Daw and Interapp Audio. I like drawing out midi as well as being able to knock things out on a keyboard/pads all within a Daw. Are there any good Audio Units for drum design/programming?

Comments

• Ruismaker might be something to take a look at?
    http://ruismaker.com/ruismaker/

• Yeah Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM fit your criteria well. I would use them more often, but I mostly use it’s in BM3 now.

• @Samu said:
    Ruismaker might be something to take a look at?
    http://ruismaker.com/ruismaker/

This is the one I use! Just had it fired up in AUM, in fact.

• The Ruismakers are the obvious answer here, and I don’t even have either one. Yet, that is.
    But still, I know the answer. ;)

• AXON 2, also FM based.
    But its not good as ruismaker, and the audio damage dude does not provide other features such as random or so, which ruismaker already has on board

• AU drum synths are a bit of a gap in the market right now. @brambos is our leading the field. So Rozeta suite of apps pointed at the Ruismakers as suggested. ReSlice can get you part of the way if you want to sample synth drums into it.

• Oh, has Cubasis been updated for Rozeta AU MIDI yet?

• Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM and Axon2 are it, really. They're all REALLY good, though - I have all three and they are all unique. Axon takes a bit of patience, but you can make some truly amazing sounds with it if you put in a little bit of time.

• @dvlmusic said:
    Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM and Axon2 are it, really. They're all REALLY good, though - I have all three and they are all unique. Axon takes a bit of patience, but you can make some truly amazing sounds with it if you put in a little bit of time.

Forgot about Axon. Need to try it again.

• @gusgranite said:

@dvlmusic said:
    Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM and Axon2 are it, really. They're all REALLY good, though - I have all three and they are all unique. Axon takes a bit of patience, but you can make some truly amazing sounds with it if you put in a little bit of time.

Be patient - Axon isn't always immediately rewarding. But if you take a little bit of time, you can get some really excellent results.

• @dvlmusic said:

@gusgranite said:

@dvlmusic said:

Be patient - Axon isn't always immediately rewarding. But if you take a little bit of time, you can get some really excellent results.

Does it still act erratically when you use the x/y controllers or change frequency settings? When I tried it, I would adjust something to how it sounded good, but when I touched another control, the sound would have a drastic change in character. It seemed like the live preview wasn’t adjusting all the necessary elements, but would suddenly update when a different parameter was touched.

• @gusgranite said:
    AU drum synths are a bit of a gap in the market right now. @brambos is our leading the field. So Rozeta suite of apps pointed at the Ruismakers as suggested. ReSlice can get you part of the way if you want to sample synth drums into it.

ReSlice is quite handy but it would be much more helpful with variable velocities. Possible, @VirSyn?

• @futureaztec said:
    I am not a big groovebox guy. I am also not a big sampler guy when it comes to drums. I bought Elastic Drums because I thought it could be a go to for making drums in Cubasis. Used it once or twice. Kind of a 'meh' feeling. I don't like to switch back and fourth between a Daw and Interapp Audio. I like drawing out midi as well as being able to knock things out on a keyboard/pads all within a Daw. Are there any good Audio Units for drum design/programming?

What sound are you looking for?

• @rs2000 said:

@futureaztec said:

What sound are you looking for?

Well I like to work with Reaktor Blocks and I am really enjoying VCV Rack. I like to build everything I do pretty much from scratch because I find that I am way more motivated when I finally work with it. Like, I noticed that Native Instruments is flogging sample pack stuff. I do like certain special samples (from iconic drum machines, etc.) but I prefer to have a bunch of knobs I can automate when laying out a track. It is better, OMHO, to have parameters to adjust in order to get the various instruments to fit together. I just get excited when I patched up my own synth bass, kick, hats, pads, etc.

No one mentioned KQDixie. I could do some hunting for some FM DX7 drum patches and play with those. I am spending some time right now learning what I can about programming FM.

• @futureaztec said:

Well I like to work with Reaktor Blocks and I am really enjoying VCV Rack. I like to build everything I do pretty much from scratch because I find that I am way more motivated when I finally work with it. Like, I noticed that Native Instruments is flogging sample pack stuff. I do like certain special samples (from iconic drum machines, etc.) but I prefer to have a bunch of knobs I can automate when laying out a track. It is better, OMHO, to have parameters to adjust in order to get the various instruments to fit together. I just get excited when I patched up my own synth bass, kick, hats, pads, etc.

No one mentioned KQDixie. I could do some hunting for some FM DX7 drum patches and play with those. I am spending some time right now learning what I can about programming FM.

I would totally go for Zmors Modular :love:

• @senhorlampada said:

@futureaztec said:

I would totally go for Zmors Modular :love:

Is ZMors Modular an AU? I know it has AU hosting.

• Zmors Modular seems a bit dated, but it says it's an AU and it has Ableton Link. That's big for me. But then you have me thinking about Ripplemaker. And Ruismaker FM looks enticing. With ripple maker I would have to have a separate instance of AU running for each percussion instrument (traditionally 8). So that might be a bit much on the cpu. I hope this thread keeps going, as I am already learning without having to buy before try.

• @futureaztec said:

I mentioned using any AU synth to program drum sounds (thinking that you needed ReSlice to map across notes) but does KQDixie already have patches where different drum sounds are mapped across notes? That's awesome if so. I need to check it out. Thanks

• @futureaztec said:
    Zmors Modular seems a bit dated, but it says it's an AU and it has Ableton Link. That's big for me. But then you have me thinking about Ripplemaker. And Ruismaker FM looks enticing. With ripple maker I would have to have a separate instance of AU running for each percussion instrument (traditionally 8). So that might be a bit much on the cpu. I hope this thread keeps going, as I am already learning without having to buy before try.

As far as I know ZMors Modular is an AU host, but not an AU instrument - I may be wrong.

The Bram Bos apps are all very very low on the power consumption front, so I wouldn’t worry too much about running multiple instances.

• Definitely RuisMaker and RuisMaker FM, but also most, if not all, of the other AU synths can make drum sounds, even if they are not tailored for them.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    The Bram Bos apps are all very very low on the power consumption front, so I wouldn’t worry too much about running multiple instances.

Thanks.

• I bought RuisMaker FM and ran it in Cubasis 2. It wasn't writing midi notes in the piano roll when recording as an AU. I had to use the keyboard and the notes are spread on the black keys. What a buzz kill. Emailed the developer...

• As far as I know Cubasis doesn't yet support AUv3 Midi so even if the buttons in Ruismaker could send midi Cubasis would not record it. I use the Cubasis on-screen keyboard to record most of the time...

• edited February 2018

@Samu said:
    As far as I know Cubasis doesn't yet support AUv3 Midi so even if the buttons in Ruismaker could send midi Cubasis would not record it. I use the Cubasis on-screen keyboard to record most of the time...

Indeed, even if I added it to the plugins it would still not work because it’s not supported at this point by Cubasis.

It’s a useful idea though. I may add it at some point when host support for AU MIDI output has grown a bit.

• Man that's annoying. Why can't we try these apps before we buy them. The developer said the pads are just for auditioning the sounds. He also mentioned, like you, that Cubasis does not yet support AU MIDI output yet.

Maybe the new thing is developers could just have a "features missing list," so there weren't any surprises. The other thing would be to find some way to be able to sell apps that you no longer want.

So people suggested RuisMaker and Zmors Modular. Anything else?

• edited February 2018

@futureaztec said:

Maybe the new thing is developers could just have a "features missing list," so there weren't any surprises.

Should that list also include everything that’s simply technically impossible? Because compiling such a list would be quite an interesting task.

• Hey maybe your right. When I used to sell surfboards though, all I wanted was for someone to get the right board for them and get out in the ocean and have a good time. If surfboard shapers didn't share this same goal, the designs would never have progressed. So there are three (plus) developers here. You, Cubasis and Apple. I am at the bottom of the hill. But when I want something you can't deliver because Cubasis doesn't support it, you are then in my position as a user of another product.

Are these things technically impossible, or not presently supported by host applications?

• @futureaztec said:
    Are these things technically impossible, or not presently supported by host applications?

Until a few months back MIDI output from AU plugins and their GUI was simply impossible. It was not built into the standard.

With iOS11 it was quietly made possible by Apple, but there were no hosts for it. I should know because I kind of pioneered the whole thing (with Rozeta) and had to reverse engineer the working of it from raw C header files and lots of assumptions - because Apple have so far failed to document the standard. In fact, the only online developer documentation on AU MIDI is written and hosted by myself, and I have been working over the past two months with virtually all host makers to get the standard implemented. But it’s really really new and barely implemented anywhere today. :)

• @brambos said:
    Until a few months back MIDI output from AU plugins and their GUI was simply impossible. It was not built into the standard.

With iOS11 it was quietly made possible by Apple, but there were no hosts for it. I should know because I kind of pioneered the whole thing (with Rozeta) and had to reverse engineer the working of it from raw C header files and lots of assumptions - because Apple have so far failed to document the standard. In fact, the only online developer documentation on AU MIDI is written and hosted by myself, and I have been working over the past two months with virtually all host makers to get the standard implemented. But it’s really really new and barely implemented anywhere today. :)

Well I very much appreciate your work because it is what made me interested in iPads in the first place -- the idea that you could have 3rd party AU's being hosted in a DAW. I guess the waves looked easier to ride from the beach.

The phrase "technically impossible" is problematic. It is technically impossible defy the laws physics. There are rules in elementary formal logical that contradict sense. But I would not call the limitations of app development or firmware updates 'technical impossibilities'. They are external limitations. Limitations that you overcame, just as I have been attempting to overcome mine.

• @futureaztec said:
    But I would not call the limitations of app development or firmware updates 'technical impossibilities'. They are external limitations. Limitations that you overcame, just as I have been attempting to overcome mine.

Convincing Apple to change or add to their standards is pretty close to defying to laws of physics. All iOS developers are pretty much at the mercy of their whims.