Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB Update with Link start stop

So which apps support link start stop ?

Comments

• Ableton Live 10? Haven't tried it though.

• Looking at the latest beta notes and there is no mention of Link, just changes to the behaviour of the global play/stop in Audiobus.

I would love to be mistaken, have been eagerly awaiting the new Link to hit iOS

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Looking at the latest beta notes and there is no mention of Link, just changes to the behaviour of the global play/stop in Audiobus.

thats how I understand it too.
    is the new link out of beta?

There is no recent discussion of Link on the Ableton beta forum and I haven't heard of (m)any apps that are planning to implement it at the moment. I'm thinking it's going to be a bit more waiting for us..

• edited February 2018

According to the developer email Michael sent it is an integration of Ableton Link Start/Stop into the AB3 protocol. Link Start/Stop commands are translated into Audiobus triggers - so apps that already implement AB triggers will automatically work with the new Link features. Pretty snazzy!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Amazing times!

• @brambos said:
    According to the developer email Michael sent it is an integration of Ableton Link Start/Stop into the AB3 protocol. Link Start/Stop commands are translated into Audiobus triggers - so apps that already implement AB triggers will automatically work with the new Link features. Pretty snazzy!

This sounds very useful, thanks for sharing!!!

Will be trying this out later on..

• Yes, in the new AB3 beta settings, there is a new section for Ableton Link that includes a "Sync Start/Stop" toggle. So far, in testing, it works quite well.

Now, here's the really interesting part: with Link enabled on two devices, the transport on either device controls the AB3 transport on the other! It's like living in the future.

• Thanks for the info @lukesleepwalker :)

I had a very quick test with an iPad and iPhone and seems to be working perfectly!

• @Max23 said:
    is the new link out of beta?

According to Abletons twitter the new Link is officially available, has only been a few minutes so I'm expecting a few app updates in the near future...

• This rocks. Working great so far with the few apps I tried. B)

• Which ones?

@CracklePot said:
    This rocks. Working great so far with the few apps I tried. B)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Which ones?

@CracklePot said:

Fugue Machine, Xynthesizr, Drum Jam, Patterning, Gadget, and Figure so far. Sometimes I have to double tap to get all of them to start or stop together. Double tap start or play in Audiobus I mean. Once in a while one app at random won’t respond, but does with a second tap. Maybe it is just completing its loop cycle or clock cycle or whatever it is called.
    This is pretty amazing. Thank you, @Michael . :)

• Wow that’s cool! Thanks!

@CracklePot said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Which ones?

@CracklePot said:

Fugue Machine, Xynthesizr, Drum Jam, Patterning, Gadget, and Figure so far. Sometimes I have to double tap to get all of them to start or stop together. Double tap start or play in Audiobus I mean. Once in a while one app at random won’t respond, but does with a second tap. Maybe it is just completing its loop cycle or clock cycle or whatever it is called.

• Most welcome! Enjoy =)

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Looking at the latest beta notes and there is no mention of Link, just changes to the behaviour of the global play/stop in Audiobus.

Try looking at the live AppStore notes rather than the beta :smile:

• @brambos said:

Snazzy indeed. WTG Michael!

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Wow that’s cool! Thanks!

@CracklePot said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Which ones?

@CracklePot said:

I tried some more and these worked as well: BeatHawk, BM3, DM1, ChordFlow, iKaossilator, Quincy.
    But then I tried AUM running Rozeta, and that worked too which had my jumping up and down. Quantum works, too.
    These apps respond as audio and midi inputs into Audiobus as well.

Some apps didn’t work. Different Drummer worked but only responded to the Play button in a toggle on/ off manner. Didn’t respond to the Stop button at all. Dot Melody was acting weird in Audiobus in general, and didn’t work. Arpeggionome Pro worked for a bit, but would consistently hang/freeze after a while.

The apps that work have a little Play button on their mixer channel. The ones that don’t are without the button.

• @CracklePot said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Wow that’s cool! Thanks!

@CracklePot said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Which ones?

@CracklePot said:

I tried some more and these worked as well: BeatHawk, BM3, DM1, ChordFlow, iKaossilator, Quincy.
    But then I tried AUM running Rozeta, and that worked too which had my jumping up and down. Quantum works, too.
    These apps respond as audio and midi inputs into Audiobus as well.

Some apps didn’t work. Different Drummer worked but only responded to the Play button in a toggle on/ off manner. Didn’t respond to the Stop button at all. Dot Melody was acting weird in Audiobus in general, and didn’t work. Arpeggionome Pro worked for a bit, but would consistently hang/freeze after a while.

The apps that work have a little Play button on their mixer channel. The ones that don’t are without the button.

Pretty neat!

• Are you sure this is the new functionality @CracklePot most of the apps your mentioning haven’t been updated in some while.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Are you sure this is the new functionality @CracklePot most of the apps your mentioning haven’t been updated in some while.

It’s new to me. Apparently, waiting for all the other apps to update is not necessary. See this:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Yes, in the new AB3 beta settings, there is a new section for Ableton Link that includes a "Sync Start/Stop" toggle. So far, in testing, it works quite well.

Now, here's the really interesting part: with Link enabled on two devices, the transport on either device controls the AB3 transport on the other! It's like living in the future.

@brambos said:

It’s all a bit mysterious to me to be honest, but it works and I am pretty happy about that. B)

• Now, somebody tell me how to map audiobus' transport to a midi controller.

Workarounds welcome.

• Samplebot updated also

• Is "the link" works also with Ableton Live or now only between ios apps? Anyone tried?

• @supadom said:
    Now, somebody tell me how to map audiobus' transport to a midi controller.

Workarounds welcome.

Doing this once I've added AUX MIDI out =) (which, regrettably due to a - say it with me - iOS bug, requires a fairly decent overhaul of some of Audiobus' codebase to work around it. Yay for me.)

• @MAtrixplan said:
    Is "the link" works also with Ableton Live or now only between ios apps? Anyone tried?

It'll work with Live 10

• @supadom said:

Workarounds welcome.

Here's a workaround:

https://www.amazon.com/WIFO-CORPORATION-WRG-400-RemoFinger-Controller/dp/B01EA4OK7K

• @Michael said:

@supadom said:

Workarounds welcome.

Doing this once I've added AUX MIDI out =) (which, regrettably due to a - say it with me - iOS bug, requires a fairly decent overhaul of some of Audiobus' codebase to work around it. Yay for me.)

If it is such a bitch to bring in then don’t worry. I’ll simply enjoy Linkless existence. At present everything syncs fairly well to Loopy, which is all I need at the mo. Development of Loopy Pro would defo be the priority here I’d say.

Out of curiosity, as far as you know is Link sync derivate from IAA sync or is it a beast of its own therefore tighter then the former?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

Workarounds welcome.

Here's a workaround:

https://www.amazon.com/WIFO-CORPORATION-WRG-400-RemoFinger-Controller/dp/B01EA4OK7K

Haha, yes, thanks. I’ll put it on my not to do list!