Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• @rezidue said:
    Awesome update! Just jumping back in but it looks like you really ran with the expressive control requests. How long until AU hosting? One can dream.

AU hosting is under consideration, as well as a complete integrated audio engine including synths and effects (yes, I know that sounds stupid because there's already a bazillion-and-one synths out there, but trust us... ours will be different :smiley: ).

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Nice drum pads mate! I’m not sure if I’ll be using them, but I sent that IAP cash your way just the same. Well done! :sunglasses: Have a great weekend.

Thanks and glad you like them. Weekend will hopefully be relatively calm without too many catastrophic bug reports coming in. :)

@Norbert said:
    Every single note of this track was made with Xequence. Loving this app :)

Thanks, and that's a lovely tune. Wanna share a screenshot of your arrangement? Always interested in how people use the app.

@cuscolima said:
    Thanks for the new mapper. Definitely worth the IAP. I have never realised how cool this app is when used with gadget. So easy to map each track and, in my opinion, much easier to compose than directly inside gadget

Hehe. Xequence development actually started when Gadget got "Advanced MIDI", and I thought "Damn. That thing has such great sounds and sonic flexibility, but... that sequencer! :# ".

@soundshaper said:
    Auto-add Controllers makes me happy. Thanks @SevenSystems

No bother. :)

• edited February 2018

Well this one was very simple. I never use patterns so all my tracks are written in one chunk each then each track is piloting a track in auria from which all the instruments are triggered. Then when I am fine with the setting, I export MIDI and make some final adjustments. As it was a simple song, I didn't even bother converting the tracks into audio and asked auria to create the AIF directly from MIDI.

The red line is moog arpeggiator being triggered. I gave it a little dragging to the left to make it slightly ahead of the rest of the song in 'off mode'. And the two tracks above are the low and high pitch strings put in left and right pans to create an impression of space.

With all the new performance stuff added, my next song will have some live recording I guess. Gonna test some pitch/cutoff sliding.

• @Norbert said:
    The red line is moog arpeggiator being triggered. I gave it a little dragging to the left to make it slightly ahead of the rest of the song in 'off mode'.

Thanks for sharing! Note that you can just open the track settings (cogwheel) and slide the "Delay" slider to the left to shift a track forward/backward in time, no need to move the notes...

• edited February 2018

@SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:
    The red line is moog arpeggiator being triggered. I gave it a little dragging to the left to make it slightly ahead of the rest of the song in 'off mode'.

Thanks for sharing! Note that you can just open the track settings (cogwheel) and slide the "Delay" slider to the left to shift a track forward/backward in time, no need to move the notes...

Oh cool thanks for the tip, very useful, as I always mess up with track delays. Actually in the song, only the the first track is not delayed :D

• @Norbert said:
    Oh cool thanks for the tip, very useful, as I always mess up with track delays. Actually in the song, only the the first track is not delayed :D

Yes, having to shift timing slightly for certain tracks is such a common occurence in music that we've included that slider right away ;)

• @SevenSystems I’m getting a significant number of crashes with the new version since upgrading this morning. Probably 4 or 5 crashes in the last 30 minutes, most, if not all from the piano roll. Even just double tapping on a part to open piano roll. 3 controllers configured on the track I’m working on. This project was solid prior to update, but I did also purchase the extra controller IAP today.

Air2, latest iOS, let me know what other info I can provide.

• edited February 2018

@Shaken&;Stirred said:
    @SevenSystems I’m getting a significant number of crashes with the new version since upgrading this morning.

Sending you a PM! Thanks.

Err EDIT: There's a bug in the forum and I can't message you... can you share the project file via email? ae (at) seven.systems ... you can access it via the iOS Files app. That will probably help.

EDIT 2: I've just found a crash that could happen when opening the pianoroll editor with very precise (unfortunate) timing of taps, fix will be available shortly. This might be what you've been seeing.

• wimwim
    edited February 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    AU hosting is under consideration, as well as a complete integrated audio engine including synths and effects (yes, I know that sounds stupid because there's already a bazillion-and-one synths out there, but trust us... ours will be different :smiley: ).

Bleh. Personally I hope you don’t go down this rat-hole. Seen it destabilize for years and kill all forward momentum of another well known midi controller app, as well as suck up huge amounts of development focus from three DAWs.

If you have the urge to do a synth app, I’m sure it’ll be awesome. If you feel like you can do a better job developing a host than all the time and development talent that’s gone into the three apps I’ve hinted at, plus AUM and Audiobus, to make them stable host apps, I personally strongly hope you’ll make them a separate app.

Of course you gotta do what you think is best. Just some comments from the peanut gallery here.

• edited February 2018

@wim said:
    If you have the urge to do a synth app, I’m sure it’ll be awesome. If you feel like you can do a better job developing a host than all the time and development talent that’s gone into the three apps I’ve hinted at, plus AUM and Audiobus, to make them stable host apps, I personally strongly hope you’ll make them a separate app.

I always appreciate open discussion :) Nothing is set in stone yet. The main motivation for considering an "all-in-one" package is the fact that even with AUv3, I constantly run into stability or scalability (read: performance) issues. The other day, I had 3 instances of Zeeon loaded into Cubasis, driving them through Xequence, and all of a sudden, all Zeeon instances simply turned black and the Cubasis project was doomed. Also, while it was possible to run 16 Eden instances in NanoStudio on an iPhone 5, you nowadays can run 3 instances of an AU on an iPad ProSuperUltra 3+, before it starts crackling. Yes yes, I know, they all sound better and have all that analog power supply simulation and whatnot, but come on, they don't sound 100 times better, while certainly consuming 100 times the resouces!

Sorry just had to vent. :) Just pushed a bugfix update for Xequence to Apple and I'm a bit overworked today. :D (while in parallel already working on the Music Fairy!)

• edited February 2018

Drum mapping feels great. Excellent purchase!

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:

I always appreciate open discussion :) Nothing is set in stone yet. The main motivation for considering an "all-in-one" package is the fact that even with AUv3, I constantly run into stability or scalability (read: performance) issues. The other day, I had 3 instances of Zeeon loaded into Cubasis, driving them through Xequence, and all of a sudden, all Zeeon instances simply turned black and the Cubasis project was doomed. Also, while it was possible to run 16 Eden instances in NanoStudio on an iPhone 5, you nowadays can run 3 instances of an AU on an iPad ProSuperUltra 3+, before it starts crackling. Yes yes, I know, they all sound better and have all that analog power supply simulation and whatnot, but come on, they don't sound 100 times better, while certainly consuming 100 times the resouces!

Sorry just had to vent. :) Just pushed a bugfix update for Xequence to Apple and I'm a bit overworked today. :D (while in parallel already working on the Music Fairy!)

Sounds cool. I agree with wim that I’d rather it be a separate app. I’d love to see what you guys could do with it, but not if it means sacrificing with stability of Xequence as it is. It’s a lean machine at the moment.

• Nothing saying you can't have the current version as uber-MIDI and then an IAP to make it a host (that can export audio tracks). B)

• Seem to have an issue trying to restore purchases on my iPad. I couldn’t purchase the new IAM as it would just spin infinitely. Purchased fine from my iPhone. Same issue when I attempted to restore on iPad.

• Seems like I eventually got a prompt for my iTunes password and now I’m in sync. I had killed the app when it was stuck in that loop but at some point while sequencing in a fresh run I got the password prompt. Like it still had an action queued between my hard kill?

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    Nothing saying you can't have the current version as uber-MIDI and then an IAP to make it a host (that can export audio tracks). B)

Yes, it would probably be an IAP. But this is all just totally hypothetical for now :)

@rezidue: Glad it worked in the end. Yes, Apple's servers can transmit transaction status to an app even days after the actual transaction took place... the whole system can be pretty clumsy... every time I implement IAPs in an app, I later regret it and keep banging my head on the wall "Why oh why didn't you do a "Basic" version and a "Pro" version of the app!!!111" ;)

• @SevenSystems Apologies if I’ve missed it in this thread but is there a good video or tutorial documenting the recent midi import feature.

It doesn’t appear to be an option for ‘open in’ from audioshare?

Thanks in advance

• @SpookyZoo said:
    @SevenSystems Apologies if I’ve missed it in this thread but is there a good video or tutorial documenting the recent midi import feature.

It doesn’t appear to be an option for ‘open in’ from audioshare?

Hi, sorry, there's currently no support for 'Open in' -- but you can copy as many MIDI files as you wish into Xequence's documents folder by using the iOS files app, they will then appear in the "..." screen once you've enabled the "MID" file type filter at the bottom.

• edited February 2018

BTW, anytime any of you is running out of musical ideas, the next Xequence version definitely got you covered! ;)

(Very early preview)

• @SevenSystems said:
    BTW, anytime any of you is running out of musical ideas, the next Xequence version definitely got you covered! ;)

(Very early preview)

Ha, looks awesome. I am busy enjoying the latest additions right now. Love this app :)

• @Trueyorky hah yes, it's incredibly fun (will be realtime when finished) -- here's another one:

• @SevenSystems said:

Hi, sorry, there's currently no support for 'Open in' -- but you can copy as many MIDI files as you wish into Xequence's documents folder by using the iOS files app, they will then appear in the "..." screen once you've enabled the "MID" file type filter at the bottom.

Hi there. I’m trying to import several midi clips into a project from Gadget. I’ve used the Files app to copy them over but gadget tracks are all separate, not one file.

How do I get multiple clips in? Each time I go to load a 2nd one in it discards the current project.

Also having a couple of crashes attempting this.

• wimwim
    edited February 2018

@SpookyZoo said:

@SevenSystems said:

Hi there. I’m trying to import several midi clips into a project from Gadget. I’ve used the Files app to copy them over but gadget tracks are all separate, not one file.

How do I get multiple clips in? Each time I go to load a 2nd one in it discards the current project.

Also having a couple of crashes attempting this.

Each time you import a file it opens like a new project. So you have to jump through a few hoops:

1. Create and save a project that you'll use to collect all the tracks.
    2. Open a midi file, which will create a new project. You don't need to save this project.
    3. Select all the clips and copy them to the clipboard.
    4. Open the original project you created, and paste the clips where you need them.
    5. Save the project.
    6. Repeat from step 2

At least that's how I remember it works. No time to double-check right now, so ymmv.

• @wim Great’ Thanks for the tip. I’ll give this a go tomorrow.

Hopefully an easier solution is planned.

• edited February 2018

@wim: Thanks for the answer, beat me to it :)

@SpookyZoo: Unfortunately, the way @wim described is currently the only way. The real problem here is Gadget (we've got various e-mails about this already) because it cannot simply export the whole project as a single MIDI file. But a future option "Import MIDI file into current project" is planned anyway!

EDIT: If you find a crash, please try to find a way to reproduce it and send me the steps that lead to the crash via PM, I'll be sure to take a look.

• wimwim
    edited February 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    @SpookyZoo: Unfortunately, the way @wim described is currently the only way. The real problem here is Gadget (we've got various e-mails about this already) because it cannot simply export the whole project as a single MIDI file. But a future option "Import MIDI file into current project" is planned anyway!

This would be great! I have a gazillion 1-4 bar midi drum loops I'd like to be using more in projects, but it's a little cumbersome to use them this way. Not a complaint - just hoping for a smoother workflow if you do get around to it.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @wim: Thanks for the answer, beat me to it :)

We do a lot of beating of developers around here. Not usually in this sense though. ;)

• @wim sometimes it shows that Engrish is not my native language :D same thing today when I ordered lunch at the counter and had to say "that meat stuff there" ;)

• edited February 2018

Not interested in auto generated music at all. I voted for a tempo track in the survey. Hope it gets in at some point :)

I have a question: what is the minimal step when off-scaling in grid, is it 1/256?

• @Norbert sure, it's not like we expect everyone to retire their creativity now ;) but it's a helpful tool to get some creative juices flowing nonetheless.

The resolution with the grid off is 192 PPQ, or 1/768 note. You'll notice that you're zoomed in close enough when events start moving in steps even though the grid is off.

And thanks for participating in the survey!

• @SevenSystems said:
    @wim sometimes it shows that Engrish is not my native language :D same thing today when I ordered lunch at the counter and had to say "that meat stuff there" ;)

>

The irony is, you were probably right. ;)

Back to the app, I just bought this after seeing the Audio Dabbler video, and can see it’s got huge potential. I just don’t find it very intuitive. Are there any decent tutorials for dummies I can watch?