Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IAA in Thesys? Why?

edited February 2014 in Support and Feedback

Can please somebody explain to me why IAA is an added value for Thesys?

In Thesys I tried via the IAA-list iTuttle....but it crashed after a few seconds.
iSyn Poly, Nanologue, Nave and Magellan worked.
Drumjam also worked but I don't expect somebody to program drumpatterns in Thesys.

Vio also showed up in the list.....why? What can Thesys do for Vio? I don't get it. I tried it anyway but it crashed right away.

Then I tried to run Thesys - Nave - Cubasis. After a few errors and restarts I got Thesys to play Nave (IAA linked in Cubasis), but the midi never syncs in Cubasis.

So I don't get it, what does IAA do in Thesys what previously wasn't possible? Thesys can play other virtual midi apps and doesn't need anything else, not even Audiobus. You can record with the app that is being triggered by Thesys.

IAA in WOW and Turnado would make sense, then we can use it as a insert in Cubasis, but who needs the crappy build-in synth from Thesys?

Am i missing something?

Comments

• Maybe for effects on Thesys's internal synth? Other than that though, I'm with ya.

• All apps that support IAA will show up I guess, that is nothing Thesys controls.
    It can be convenient to control the synth apps directly form within the app that sends the midi. Same with the Mobile Sequencer app. Works much better than before.

• Open Cubasis.
    Add an audio track and put Thesys as an IAA instrument.
    Switch to Thesys and add a IAA synth.
    Back to Cubasis, press play. Thesys and the IAA synth inside it start playing!
    Isn't that cool?
    You can also add a MIDI track to Cubasis and set it to output to Thesys to control the pitch of the sequence and all Thesys midi effects (loop, repeat etc).

See pages 11-17 of Thesys manual for a guide on setting up Thesys as an IAA on different hosts.
    http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Thesys/manual/Manual_English_iPad.pdf

• @SaveAs said:

Open Cubasis.
    Isn't that cool?
    You can also add a MIDI track to Cubasis and set it to output to Thesys to control the pitch of the sequence and all Thesys midi effects (loop, repeat etc).

See pages 11-17 of Thesys manual for a guide on setting up Thesys as an IAA on different hosts.
    http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Thesys/manual/Manual_English_iPad.pdf

Awesome idea!

• edited February 2014

@skogredd said:

All apps that support IAA will show up I guess, that is nothing Thesys controls.

That makes sense, thanks.

@SaveAs said:

Open Cubasis.
    Isn't that cool?

Not cool if the MIDI isn't synced.
    Genome does a better job. Genome can handle more then one virtual MIDI app. But Genome too can not sync the MIDI clock from Cubasis at the same time as far as I know!

It's about time Cubasis gets automation.

Anyway, thanks for your reply though.

• @Greg It is synced. You just press play in Cubasis and Thesys plays in sync. Do you mean something else?

• @Greg As I understand it, IAA apps are integrated and treated as part of the host app when used, so they should play in sync just fine--just like @SaveAs said.

• Ok thanks guys, apparently I was doing something wrong, I will give it another shot when I have time. Thanks for your reply!

• I would like to get MIDI support inside of Auria somehow. Would thesys allow me to load up as an IAA instrument, import a MIDI file, route it to a synth and play MIDI within Auria? Am I understanding this right? Or is there another method, such as Genome or a different IAA sequencer which might allow this to happen?

I want to be able to record and playback all MIDI parameters if possible.

• Is Thesys working yet? It's been a blank white screen since the update. Ipad mini retina.

• edited February 2014

Thesys got a small update and it is working again following the white screen episode.

Tried it with Auria but couldn't get it to work. Might however just be the wrong settings?

• I dont get it. Can this app sequence more than one synthapp at the same time, using different midi channels? Or would you sequence one app, export the midi into a daw, and move on to the next synth?

Cheers and Thanks

• @yaknepper You are basically "nesting" things. For example: You could run iSem as an IAA inside of Thesys, and then run Thesys as an IAA inside of Cubasis. Cubasis would treat everything as just Thesys running inside of itself, but the sounds you would be hearing would be coming from iSem and would be being controlled by Thesys. Does that make sense?

• Does thesys allow MIDI import? I understand that it is one channel only but that's all I would need to use.

• @yaknepper You could use some midi modifier App, like Midibridge, to allow you to sequence more than one synth using a split keyboard but there would be a lot of limitations because there's only one note per step in the sequencer. A more likely scenario, whether using IAA or not, is to sequence one track and record either the midi or audio in your DAW and then point the step sequencer at another Synth.

• I've got it working finally. triggermode has to be on "external". Midi is syncing just fine!

@yaknepper said:

I dont get it. Can this app sequence more than one synthapp at the same time, using different midi channels?

Thesys can sequence more than one synth app at the same time, but only the same pattern, so you can layer synths. If you want different synth apps do different things, you need Genome, or Beatmaker 2, or Midibus, or Cubasis (without automation).

• So I'm liking loading thesys as IAA in a Cubasis, and having it run in sync triggering a couple of synths with a different 'flavour' of midi styles than I would normally create in the piano roll.

Could actually end up using thesys more cause of this :)

• @Skipp said:
    @Greg said:

Thank you gentlemen for the input, it makes more sense now. I think i have to get this one and try for myself. Midibridge seems practical too!

Cheers