Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Madreeon

edited February 2018 in Creations

Hello,

I’ve made this new track with my saxophone and my iPhone 7 Plus. I’ve put lot of work in this.

My tenor sax is played in a mute enclosure system saxophone-mute.com which allows me to practice and record at home without issues with my neighbors. My iPhone is mounted on the mute. To improve my recordings, I’ve tried different microphones, started with a Sd system sax clip on, and buyed a few weeks ago a small and compact Tbone Sc400 condenser, which fits nicely in my sax mute. Ultra proximity and mute enclosure has given me some headache with low end stationary waves. I used internal mic highpass switch and DDMF 6144 eq correction. I also used DDMF NYC compressor and Eos2 reverb on the sax, and used AUM stereo image tool to get a narrower sax sound. DDMF directional EQ is used on instrumental mix to remove some frequencies in the middle to helps sax to fit in the mix.

Whole instrumental is done with my « Blocs Wave Hub », with Audiobus/AUM routing. Drum and percussions are from Blocs Wave iaps, lead is made with Zeeon and Xequence, basses with Gadget Madrid played by iFretless bass midi and processed with DDMF Enveloppe. Saxes section are made with Voice rack fx and Loopy, triggered by Blueboard pedalboard for easier recording. Everything is centralized in Blocs Wave with Link sync between apps. Then export is made to Launchpad and a structure is improvised. Wav file instrumental is imported in AUM for adding sax solo recording. Stereo global recording is finally processed in AUM with Maxima. This is my workflow.

I think this new mic adds something nice, and I’m happy with what I’ve learned with my mixing and production tools, and have improved my whole workflow.

http://jeanrochat.bandcamp.com/track/madreeon

Comments

• edited February 2018

So good. Lovely to hear the full tone of a sax with the beats and electronics. Nice work!

• This is really awesome!! The sax sounds so sexy lol, it brings a lot of life to the track.

• @gusgranite said:
    So good. Lovely to hear the full tone of a sax with the beats and electronics. Nice work!

@Noirflux said:
    This is really awesome!! The sax sounds so sexy lol, it brings a lot of life to the track.

Thanks for comments, glad you liked it : )

• edited February 2018

Some pics of my compact sax studio setup:

The whole mute with tenor sax inside:

Inside the mute:

The audio interface iRig Pro i/o with inline XLR -20db pad:

The powerbank which provides power to iPhone, iRig and mic:

The tBone SC400 mic:

• Whoa, I haven’t seen this before. That is very cool. I’m guessing you have to get used to the restricted movement when playing the sax?

• edited February 2018

@gusgranite said:
    Whoa, I haven’t seen this before. That is very cool. I’m guessing you have to get used to the restricted movement when playing the sax?

In fact the mute is selled without that in mind, it's more a practice tool. I had this idea to add the iPhone, a good mic and audio gear to make it a viable compact studio setup. I share this on all sax forums, as this intrument is so loud, I measure myself between 90 and 105 db depending on how I push my tone, and lot of saxists have the issue. When temps gets hotter, I also practice outside in open fields, but during winter my mute is my solution to keep practicing. And it has become a great studio too. I get used to it almost immediately, I've forgotten about having hands inside easily since I've buyed it a year ago, its conception allow for great space for hands, and mute external nice shape also helps a lot for forget about that with a body to mute "rounded" interaction : )

• Very interesting stuff. Of course it would be nice if we lived in a world where you don't have to "hide" your musical skills and creations from your neighbours... :o when I still had a "real" studio, IT decided where I would move, not ME :) Always checked out the neighbours and landlords etc. first if they were "compatible" with my music making, and if not, continued looking for something else.

• Agreed about having to mute your sound but it’s the mini studio side of it that I like.

• @SevenSystems said:
    Very interesting stuff. Of course it would be nice if we lived in a world where you don't have to "hide" your musical skills and creations from your neighbours... :o when I still had a "real" studio, IT decided where I would move, not ME :) Always checked out the neighbours and landlords etc. first if they were "compatible" with my music making, and if not, continued looking for something else.

I know what you mean. In France, people really hate to be "noise" disturbed, and call for cops easily... I had an isolated booth some years ago, but I had to have some space for my children and choose to sell it and buy this instead. I'm more now satisfied with my recordings results in this mute, as the booth had awful stationnary waves and gives lot of harshness to recordings, too small space.

• edited February 2018

@gusgranite said:
    Agreed about having to mute your sound but it’s the mini studio side of it that I like.

Yes I like it too, it was fun in conception and is really nice to use too : )

Large capsule condenser mic took me some work for proper EQing, good compression and reverberation are very important too, to get something which sounds natural. The mutes itself with foam inside gives a pretty neutral recording base with good definition, it's also nice to work with.

• My first "real" studio was in an industrial estate, fortunately no neighbour problems... and a highly professional recording booth! ;)

• @SevenSystems said:
    My first "real" studio was in an industrial estate, fortunately no neighbour problems... and a highly professional recording booth! ;)

Nice space Inside, and perfect location for sure : )

• I need one of those mutes for my head, so I can practice singing without disturbing my wife.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I need one of those mutes for my head, so I can practice singing without disturbing my wife.

I've heard that in particularly severe cases, wives have provided one for free ;)