Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ZOOM U 24...impressions

13»

Comments

• Well good news for U-44 owners, it's certainly possible to use the Toslink s/pdif inputs alongside the analog inputs into the ipad. But it's a bit of a hassle. The main downside being you have to use 48K which I haven't used much on ipad, so far favouring 44.1. Seems ok in AUM but Audiobus doesn't have an option to change so was running into issues with that.

The analog to digital converter I bought said it supported 44.1 but seems not to, so not sure if another adapter does a better job of it.

So if you use 48k and get the extra adapters, definitely an option here. I tried running a second ipad through hdmi audio and a volca FM into an analog to digital converter into the U-44.

• @Carnbot said:
    Well good news for U-44 owners, it's certainly possible to use the Toslink s/pdif inputs alongside the analog inputs into the ipad. But it's a bit of a hassle. The main downside being you have to use 48K which I haven't used much on ipad, so far favouring 44.1. Seems ok in AUM but Audiobus doesn't have an option to change so was running into issues with that.

The analog to digital converter I bought said it supported 44.1 but seems not to, so not sure if another adapter does a better job of it.

So if you use 48k and get the extra adapters, definitely an option here. I tried running a second ipad through hdmi audio and a volca FM into an analog to digital converter into the U-44.

beware audiocopy users....it only supports 44.1

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Carnbot said:
    Well good news for U-44 owners, it's certainly possible to use the Toslink s/pdif inputs alongside the analog inputs into the ipad. But it's a bit of a hassle. The main downside being you have to use 48K which I haven't used much on ipad, so far favouring 44.1. Seems ok in AUM but Audiobus doesn't have an option to change so was running into issues with that.

beware audiocopy users....it only supports 44.1

I read that as AudioShare and instantly thought whaaat... surely AudioShare would support higher than 44.1! :smile:

• I'm_ almost _there to purchase the U-44 but I do have a question concern that I hope someone can speak to as I'm really a music tech novice and am confused by what little I've been able to find online about this. I effectively have 3 items I want to get into and out of my iPad for solo live performance.

2 Guitars in one: a Fishman Piezo Powerbridge/Powerchip equipped Stratocaster with stereo output jack. I use a stereo Y cable which has TRS on one and and splits the magnetic pickups and the piezo into separate 1/4 TS plugs.

Sure Beta 58A (condenser) Mic

I want to route all three into my iPad for effects and vocal processing and looping (which I would control with footcontroller) and then have the processed and/or looped output from my iPad go into my Bose S1 PA.

My concern stems from the specs of only 1 Hi-Z input (not sure if that really matters/needed for my guitar or not) and if you get the 2 extra input attachment it cuts other things off.

**Is this the device that can handle all that? Can someone please explain how I would setup the I/Os on it for this?

I would SO APPRECIATE a walk through or better - pictures - of how I could use this. Thanks in advance for any help. **

• When using this with iPad does the USB offer access to the Midi? Can a keyboard connected to the Midi in find it's way to the iPad or is it only Audio over USB?

• @DYMS said:
    When using this with iPad does the USB offer access to the Midi? Can a keyboard connected to the Midi in find it's way to the iPad or is it only Audio over USB?

Midi too yes :)

• @Carnbot said:

@DYMS said:
    When using this with iPad does the USB offer access to the Midi? Can a keyboard connected to the Midi in find it's way to the iPad or is it only Audio over USB?

so do you need a power supply for this or does it just run off of batteries? also how do you keep your ipad charged while issuing this?

• @eross said:

@Carnbot said:

@DYMS said:

so do you need a power supply for this or does it just run off of batteries? also how do you keep your ipad charged while issuing this?

You can use batteries or a power source eg usb or 5V DC, use the usb camera adapter with lightning charger connector to charge ipad at the same time.

• I can't believe this thread original popped up in 2016! I've been eyeballing this, though for the phone (for now). I need something I can use on both iPhone, iPad and Mac/Win if need be. Still fits the bill pretty good?? On paper it seems like it does

• @eross said:

@Carnbot said:

@DYMS said:

Just two AA’s so it won’t get you through a long set unfortunately. I’d go with a power bank if you’re looking for a portable setup.

• I recently got the U-44. (It’s awesome)

You will need a genuine Apple “Lightning to USB3” adapter.
    Apple updates it’s chip when you plug it into a device with a newer iOS / iPadOS.

Fake ones don’t get the update, so they only work for a few seconds.

You will also need a powered USB hub.

• @jolico said:
    I recently got the U-44. (It’s awesome)

You will need a genuine Apple “Lightning to USB3” adapter.
    Apple updates it’s chip when you plug it into a device with a newer iOS / iPadOS.

Fake ones don’t get the update, so they only work for a few seconds.

You will also need a powered USB hub.

awesome. thanks for the tip on the genuine adapter.

• @mireko_2 said:
    Just bought the U22 to record my hardware jam audio into my iPhone when shooting video. Small enough to permanently fix to the camera mount on my desk

It’s a few years later but wanted to ask you - if you have Direct Monitoring turned on with the U22, and you’ve get a stereo signal coming in the line inout, is the direct monitoring in stereo? Or is it forced to mono (as seems to be the case for the U44)?

• edited January 4

Thomann has U-24 just for 69€ now, I couldn't resist :wink:
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/zoom_u_24.htm