Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SwarPlug all instruments bundle was 60% off on SALE

edited February 2018 in General App Discussion

It is announced in that other SwarPlug thread, I thought some may have missed it and could be interested.

Only today/tomorrow apparently.
40$ on sale from 100$ for the collection of 79 indian instruments, auv3 with tons of midi loops

Comments

• edited February 2018

Looks like iPad version is 99 cents, and it has been at that price since 2016, acc to Appshopper.

Where are you getting $40? What is that, a desktop version?

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Looks like iPad version I’d 99 cents, and it has been at that price since 2016, acc to Appshopper.

Where are you getting $40? What is that, a desktop version?

It’s the IAP bundle. There’s 79 instruments, the initial app just gives you one (tabla).

• This was a long time wish but the normal price was too expensive. Now at 40$, it is still expensive but the quality of the app definitely worth it. It is amazing what you can do when you load several instances in AUM and run the included loops all together...still very “niche” but top quality and very inspiring.

• edited February 2018

for those of you who bought this, do the the patches/samples have reverb on them or are they dry?
    and is it possible to force standard western tunings with the app?

• @kobamoto said:
    for those of you who bought this, do the the patches/samples have reverb on them or are they dry?

@swarsys might be able to help?

• @kobamoto said:

You’re probably looking for a quick answer to catch the sale if it’s still going. I can’t tell what effects might be on the recordings as I don’t know the instruments well enough. Some sound like there is some reverb but that might be natural.

For tuning, there is ‘gross and fine’ pitch control and panning which is handy.

• Samples are all dry. No effects.

Tuning is also standard (western).

• @cuscolima said:
    ... It is amazing what you can do when you load several instances in AUM and run the included loops all together...still very “niche” but top quality and very inspiring.

Yes, it's very nice to have multiple instances of Swarplug in AUM, but the loops are not synchronized at all: you have to hit their playbuttons manually just on the beat and that is almost impossible, because of the complex indian rythm.
    @swarsys : is it possible to make the loops start/stop with the transport-controls of the AU-host (itc. AUM)?

• @gusgranite said:

@kobamoto said:

You’re probably looking for a quick answer to catch the sale if it’s still going. I can’t tell what effects might be on the recordings as I don’t know the instruments well enough. Some sound like there is some reverb but that might be natural.

For tuning, there is ‘gross and fine’ pitch control and panning which is handy.

yes I was. I went ahead and copped it anyway before I saw your post but thank you and swarsy.

listening to the app now and wonder about some clarifications... the samples are not time stretched when you go up and down the octaves is that correct?
    and is there a way to adjust latency as I haven't been able to find it and I'm trying to control the app with guitarism, they connect fine but the latency isn't useable in it's current setting?

• @kobamoto said:

listening to the app now and wonder about some clarifications... the samples are not time stretched when you go up and down the octaves is that correct?

The loops inside are MIDI-type, so pitch and speed can be changed independently.

and is there a way to adjust latency as I haven't been able to find it and I'm trying to control the app with guitarism, they connect fine but the latency isn't useable in it's current setting?

SwarPlug is meant to be used within a DAW ideally. The loops playing in it is just for auditioning them, but the sequencing is not very precise. If you need that, then you can use a DAW like Cubasis, and export the loops of your choice as MIDI files for your DAW tracks. We have a video explaining that at www.swarsystems.com/support/videos

• thanks for responding again. I don't want to sequence, I just want to use guitarism to control the app, I'm checking out the sarod instrument right now. Not playing any of the loops, just guitarism as controller out to swarplug.

• @Harro said:

@cuscolima said:
    ... It is amazing what you can do when you load several instances in AUM and run the included loops all together...still very “niche” but top quality and very inspiring.

Yes, it's very nice to have multiple instances of Swarplug in AUM, but the loops are not synchronized at all: you have to hit their playbuttons manually just on the beat and that is almost impossible, because of the complex indian rythm.
    @swarsys : is it possible to make the loops start/stop with the transport-controls of the AU-host (itc. AUM)?

I am not sure but I think that the loops are synchronized if you press the play in AUM. But you are right that you still have to start each loop manually...you can do the test : if you stop the loop in the app and start it again, the loop will “jump” to another starting point, as if it is following a master reference

• @kobamoto said:
    thanks for responding again. I don't want to sequence, I just want to use guitarism to control the app, I'm checking out the sarod instrument right now. Not playing any of the loops, just guitarism as controller out to swarplug.

I don't know Guitarism, but I guess it works as a host for SwarPlug. If so, SwarPlug doesn't add any latency. It just receives I/O buffers and fills them. Try maybe setting a smaller I/O buffer.

• For your info, we extended the discount to today (Valentine day;-) as it ended abruptly yesterday. We assumed including the 14th would still play out on the 14th.

• already bought it.

this is the guitarism app. it is not a host and has no sequencer, it's like geoshred, they both have midi out. so when I start swarplug it ask what controller I'd like to use and I choose guitarism.... but the heavy latency is the problem I'm having.
    this is just app midi out to midi in on swarplug, no hosting, no sequencing. just triggering.

• Oh, I see... It's a MIDI controller, and you are using it through Audiobus, then. Try setting a smaller I/O buffer in Audiobus.

• :)
    nope, no audiobus involved. Only guitarism and swarplug.... they are the only apps I have open and swar plug list guitarism along with network midi in the midi list. I just choose guitarism.

• @cuscolima said:

@Harro said:

@cuscolima said:

I am not sure but I think that the loops are synchronized if you press the play in AUM. But you are right that you still have to start each loop manually...you can do the test : if you stop the loop in the app and start it again, the loop will “jump” to another starting point, as if it is following a master reference

Thank you @cuscolima, but the AUM transport (Start/Stop) have no effect what so ever on synchronizing different Swarplug-instrument-loops.
    @swarsys, can you shed a light on this?

• Ok, you launch SwarPlug as standalone (through the iOS app icon), then select Guitarism as a MIDI controller? Sorry for the confusion, but there are so many way of doing this...

Have you tried using Audiobus instead?

• yes, stand alone. No I haven't tried audiobus. I will try it

• @kobamoto said:
    :)
    nope, no audiobus involved. Only guitarism and swarplug.... they are the only apps I have open and swar plug list guitarism along with network midi in the midi list. I just choose guitarism.

it seems, unfortunately, that the standalone has massive latency when used in conjunction with another app. completely unusable that way. however, you can host in AUM and latency is not an issue.

• @nick said:

@kobamoto said:
    :)

it seems, unfortunately, that the standalone has massive latency when used in conjunction with another app. completely unusable that way. however, you can host in AUM and latency is not an issue.

wonderful, I will try Aum next as audiobus is making it work allot better!

is there any way to organize or group the instruments within the browser so I could group certain sounds together, like strings for instance etc... ?

thank you both so much for your help, this app is a keeper.

• @Harro said:

@cuscolima said:

@Harro said:

@cuscolima said:

Thank you @cuscolima, but the AUM transport (Start/Stop) have no effect what so ever on synchronizing different Swarplug-instrument-loops.

I think it does have an effect. for example, when AUM is on “play”, the plugin will display a time code that is synched across instances and you can start and pause the same loop for example and they stay linked. if that is doing all synching needed across instruments and loops, maybe not, but definitely trying some kind of synch

• @nick said:

@Harro said:

@cuscolima said:

@Harro said:

@cuscolima said:

I think it does have an effect. for example, when AUM is on “play”, the plugin will display a time code that is synched across instances and you can start and pause the same loop for example and they stay linked. if that is doing all synching needed across instruments and loops, maybe not, but definitely trying some kind of synch

Yes it's trying, but not synching (to my ears)...

• @Harro said:

@nick said:

@Harro said:

@cuscolima said:

@Harro said:

@cuscolima said:

Can it be because of the indian song structure that is frequently varying (tempo, etc)...maybe it is just not possible to be in sync at any moment...

• @cuscolima said:

@Harro said:

@nick said:

@Harro said:

@cuscolima said:

@Harro said:

@cuscolima said:

Can it be because of the indian song structure that is frequently varying (tempo, etc)...maybe it is just not possible to be in sync at any moment...

that may be it ... there is definitely synch to the start of the loop ... so taking two 8 bar loops for example, they will always start in synch, but that does not necessarily keep everything synched inside the loop. also loops with different bar length may get out of synch quickly but that is to be expected

• Indian (classical) music is all about synchronisation. All melodic and rhythmic performances are set to rhythmic cycles that can range from 4 to 16 (even much higher, but that's less common) beats, and even though they will often improvise at various parts of the performance, instrumentalist and drummer will always end up resynchronizing at cycle start (called Sam).

That's why using MIDI is such a convenient way of reproducing such kind of music, because you can resize your MIDI loop to match exactly the rhythmic/melodic counterpart (or a multiple thereof) and you can then play that at any tempo you like.

Using the loops directly in the plugin may work for some people, but it was not really designed to be that way.

• @swarsys said:
    Indian (classical) music is all about synchronisation. All melodic and rhythmic performances are set to rhythmic cycles that can range from 4 to 16 (even much higher, but that's less common) beats, and even though they will often improvise at various parts of the performance, instrumentalist and drummer will always end up resynchronizing at cycle start (called Sam).

That's why using MIDI is such a convenient way of reproducing such kind of music, because you can resize your MIDI loop to match exactly the rhythmic/melodic counterpart (or a multiple thereof) and you can then play that at any tempo you like.

Using the loops directly in the plugin may work for some people, but it was not really designed to be that way.

Thank you @swarsys, now I understand. (It's a pitty though, because using multiple instances of Swarplug in sync within AUM is very tempting :D )

• @swarsys said:
    Indian (classical) music is all about synchronisation. All melodic and rhythmic performances are set to rhythmic cycles that can range from 4 to 16 (even much higher, but that's less common) beats, and even though they will often improvise at various parts of the performance, instrumentalist and drummer will always end up resynchronizing at cycle start (called Sam).

it’s definitely a nice side effect that they can be played live ...

• @kobamoto said:

I hear no indication that they're tuned to anything other than 12et. No need to force anything.