Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad Pro CPU power

Hey I'm currently using anow Ipad mini 2 and max out power quickly. I was wondering if you guys can give a quick CPU power ballpark of any of the iPad Pro models.

How many instances of iSem/Zeeon or any synth app can you simultaneously run before it glitches?

I can run 4 different synths currently, 5 if I'm careful with the polyphony.

I want to run like 20 synths at the same time, is that feasible?

Thanks

Comments

• First gen Pro here, it depends very much on the complexity of the patches.

I can run 9 Zeeons monophonically in AUM before maxing the CPU but they are on the Init patch. Change a single patch and it goes bad very quickly.

Not sure the latest Pro has the grunt to run 20, I’d doubt it.

Just my 5 minutes quick and nasty test tho ...

• I’ve done 3 or more instances of Zeeon in a session before with BM3. My biggest session has 3 instances of Zeeon, 1 of KQ Dixie, and 1 of Phospor 2. They play just fine with no clicks and pops on my 9.7 iPad Pro

• I have a iPad Pro 10.5. Being new to IOS music I do not have any of the software mentioned above.

I did the following test if it can help. In cubasis I loaded micrologue with the preset Dream pad who played a 3 notes chord. I started getting crackling at 23 instance of micrologue.

• @ecou said:
    I have a iPad Pro 10.5. Being new to IOS music I do not have any of the software mentioned above.

I did the following test if it can help. In cubasis I loaded micrologue with the preset Dream pad who played a 3 notes chord. I started getting crackling at 23 instance of micrologue.

18 is my limit for comparison.

• Oh thanks that gives me a rough estimate of its capabilities! ... I should stop buying synths....nahh.... I'll wait to see how fast this year's Ipad Pro is! Do you guys think it'll be a big improvement in power?

• edited February 2018

@Verchrona said:
    Oh thanks that gives me a rough estimate of its capabilities! ... I should stop buying synths....nahh.... I'll wait to see how fast this year's Ipad Pro is! Do you guys think it'll be a big improvement in power?

According to Mac rumours it could be another 200 days to wait for a new iPad.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#10-5-iPad-Pro

This is their guess at what a new iPad might include.

https://macrumors.com/roundup/ipad-pro/

• edited February 2018

12.9 2017 here
    I tested adding multiple Zeeons to Cubasis with the Funky Fungi patch (think it was called that). To be honest I think you are going to fall foul of the multiple instances of AUs before you hit a CPU overhead. I added 12 tracks before weirdness started, but it looked like some of the earlier tracks had lost their connection to Zeeon when I tried to edit them.

When you close a project like that (where its kind of fine that you have been adding tracks separately) and they all try to load at once. It bugs out and says Zeeon had issues loading.

I’ve not got time for a full blown diagnostic at the mo’ but I think you will get more mileage with lots of different synths running rather than too many of one. Also as said the patch will affect it greatly - so many initial, but not as many drenched in fx :)

Edit @ ‘low’ latency in Cubasis

• I don’t think any of this info is comparable without stating your buffer size.

• edited February 2018

(Deleted)

• 20 synths ?
    In one song ?

• I've been happy with the highest latency setting on my Mini, it's the only way it'll work

• @Samplemunch said:
    20 synths ?
    In one song ?

Yep. I'm afraid 20 might not be enough though

• @Verchrona said:

@Samplemunch said:
    20 synths ?
    In one song ?

Yep. I'm afraid 20 might not be enough though

You might need something more than an iPad to accomplish something like that. Even my MacBook Pro struggled to do something like that without having to freeze the tracks

• you don't need 20 instances of top synths like Zeeon - no one uses 20 DIVAs on their PC either... ;)
    There's more than just the instruments to make a great sound/track.
    For reference check the 1st video (by Astrix) in this thread:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24553/the-howd-they-make-that-sound-thread
    Whatever juice the iPad CPU may provide - this (mix quality) is plain out of reach in IOS atm o:)
    Focus on the core elements of your track (with well choosen sounds) and develope your skills instead of relying on sheer quantity.

• Yeah I won't need it for every song, it's just I love experimenting with layering as much as I can just to see how much too much

• edited February 2018

Helpful page with benchmarks for iOS devices, useful for comparing the cpu power:

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

I will say, you needn’t chase the fastest cpu’s for audio stuff, if the programs are designed remotely right. Video games and video production are much more needy of cpu power than audio.

• edited February 2018

@Processaurus said:
    Helpful page with benchmarks for iOS devices, useful for comparing the cpu power:

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

I will say, you needn’t chase the fastest cpu’s for audio stuff, if the programs are designed remotely right. Video games and video production are much more needy of cpu power than audio.

Good point, there are some very efficiently implemented audio apps out there (I call these Bos(s) apps) and there is a lot of bloatware.

Profuse retroactive apologies to all for not specifying my buffer size, what I was wearing, phase of moon, ambient temperature, etc.