Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The "How'd They Make That Sound" Thread

edited February 2018 in App Tips and Tricks

This is a thread for getting down to the bottom of a sound's processing, uh, process.

I have two that have alluded me. The first, is a drum sound that I hear from time-to-time that I really like. It's some kind of combination of reverb, bpm delay, or a tube effect:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/layzncihfrr1k6o/100_Brella_01_SP zzry.wav?dl=0

THe second is a bit less direct so specific that I might have a hard time explaining it. the tones Astrix gets..the tone reminds me a rubber room padded with speaker tweeters. It can be heard pretty much all over the 26 min mark. The soft percussive tones he gets--kinda blurs the lines between bass and drums. It's pure ear candy.

The 35 minute mark has a great example of the tones I am referring too as well.

I would love to see if any of you are trying to figure out an effect or sound too and maybe learn a thing or two from those of you that know what the hell you are doing.

Comments

• Cool thread!

I think ‘Shaper’ may help with that first drum loop.

• @AudioGus said:
    Cool thread!

I think ‘Shaper’ may help with that first drum loop.

>

Great little app, unless you want to use it with Auria Pro. It hangs AP. Devs don’t reply to e-mail, and don’t seem inclined to issue a fix. Works great with Cubasis and AUM, though.

• edited February 2018

What do you think the synth is that Luke Slater uses on this track as the filtered lead? I love it when he bends it in a 5:48.
    Listen to the whole track though. It’s a classic builder.

• @LeonLeroy said:
    I have two that have alluded me. The first, is a drum sound that I hear from time-to-time that I really like. It's some kind of combination of reverb, bpm delay, or a tube effect:

That one's simple. A drum loop sent through a short delay with high feedback.
    Or the way AudioGus did it ;)

THe second is a bit less direct so specific that I might have a hard time explaining it. the tones Astrix gets..the tone reminds me a rubber room padded with speaker tweeters. It can be heard pretty much all over the 26 min mark.

That's the more tricky one. My first attempt would be playing around with a simple 2-OP FM synth and put it through a bit reducer and a stereo X-delay.

• @rs2000 said:

@LeonLeroy said:

That one's simple. A drum loop sent through a short delay with high feedback.
    Or the way AudioGus did it ;)

My way is more fun because you get to buy a new app. :)

• the Astrix stuff has this 1st class Psytrance sound from Israel - a high benchmark.
    It's not just the method but also the quality of tools.

• awesome. thanks for the feedback. that astrix stuff is ear candy central. amazingly easy on the ears

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2020

sounds like a rhodes layer with a mono moog playing the high note ot the chord, Mozaic scripts for that trick B)

• @ehehehe said:
    Anyone knows how to make something like the first melodic sound from this?

I'm sorry, call me Grandpa, whatever, but that is straight shit. Same rhythm, same note, paint by numbers beat... It's almost like to be different let's make it sound as ugly as possible...damn.q

My all time favorite hip hop artist is Nate Dogg because he was so musical and melodic. Dr. Dre was the same on the production side, his beats were 80% new instruments (Mike Elizondo's bass playing, keyboard pads etc) with MPC'd drums and then, maybe, a sample.

Going out to yell at clouds on the lawn....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’m pretty old.
    I never heard of this guy.
    That was non-stop flow once he got going, great story-telling in the lyrics, too.
    I loved that.

Glad I stopped by.