Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ZOOM U 24...impressions

Comments

• edited November 2017

My U44 continues to be my favorite interface ever. I was even able to use it as a standalone “mixer” of sorts to get XLR mic into my Octatrack

• @audiblevideo said:

@vpich said:

@vpich said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Trippy , my 44 sounds really clean and clear but then again I only do iPad through it

Noise is gone. Might be a loose wire. Tapped it a bit and all is good. Will probably open it up if it happens again.

Just noticed i never followed up here. Sent it back to the store and zoom sent me a new one direct. No issues. It really is cool. Not using it anymore since i got the k-mix, listed it locally but no takers.

How do you like your k-mix? Have you used any of the midi control capabilities yet?

Actually i started using the zoom again today and boxed up the kmix. It can do so much that for everything i want to do i have to crack open the manual. Still haven’t figured out a lot and don’t want to take the time to learn it when all i really need is 2 channels and midi, which i get going quicker with the zoom. I bought the optional midi din breakout box and tested clocking and such but not using the kmix as a midi controller , although i’m sure it’s great for it because the touch strips are super responsive, just perfect. But it’s way more than i need for a device like this so gonna flip it and get some other toy.

• edited November 2017

Just a heads up. U22 & U44 are on sale : $119/$159 respectively at many of the big online US music stores(Sweetwater, Kraft Music, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend etc.).

My guess is with NAMM right around the corner, we'll possibly see new versions...?

• @oscdrift said:
    Just a heads up. U22 & U44 are on sale : $119/$159 respectively at many of the big online US music stores(Sweetwater, Kraft Music, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend etc.).

My guess is with NAMM right around the corner, we'll possibly see new versions...?

Hm, possibly. I could imagine that they could add 3.5mm stereo line level input to the U-24 or 44, that's the only thing missing from these two at this point (U-22 has it), but other than that I'm not sure how they could optimise these devices any further. Maybe add more I/O jack/XLR channels? Not that they need it. Dunno. Hopefully something surprising :smile: Like built-in snack storage for eating on the go. I'd buy that.

• I just ordered the u44 from gear4music on sale for 92 bucks! With shipping and vat it’s 109.

• great deal, still loving mine, never any issues.

• @vpich said:
    great deal, still loving mine, never any issues.

I’ve been testing it out for a week or so now and gotta say it’s great! With iPad and cck3 plugged in and a unpowered usb hub I was able to run it on usb interface, with two condensers with 48v going and 3 different midi controllers in the usb hub running 3 different apps.

• Has there been any announcement or product launch from Zoom at NAMM this year?

• @Bootsy said:
    I just ordered the u44 from gear4music on sale for 92 bucks! With shipping and vat it’s 109.

Thanks for the info. Just grabbed the U24 on sale. Been eyeing it for months now

• edited February 2018

This was the first discussion that popped up on a Google search for Zoom U-24 iPad. :-) Anyway I also jumped on the sale but was having a case of buyer's remorse because I don't think I know what I bought. This thread reassured me a bit that it should work fine for my purposes.

How do folks listen to the output after the sound goes through the iPad. For example I'm planning on plugging in my guitar for use with ToneStack, so need to hear the output of that after it has been through the app in my headphones, and also plugging in my microphone (which I don't really need to hear the output from in my headphones). Is it the headphone jack on the U-24 or the regular headphone jack on the iPad I'm supposed to use?

• @fprintf said:
    This was the first discussion that popped up on a Google search for Zoom U-24 iPad. :-) Anyway I also jumped on the sale but was having a case of buyer's remorse because I don't think I know what I bought. This thread reassured me a bit that it should work fine for my purposes.

How do folks listen to the output after the sound goes through the iPad. For example I'm planning on plugging in my guitar for use with ToneStack, so need to hear the output of that after it has been through the app in my headphones, and also plugging in my microphone (which I don't really need to hear the output from in my headphones). Is it the headphone jack on the U-24 or the regular headphone jack on the iPad I'm supposed to use?

I think the U24 has hardware monitoring...if you have this turned on then when plugged into the headphone jack on the U24 you will hear what is going to the input....this is for latency free monitoring of what you are recording......
    If you turn off the hardware monitoring (not sure how you do this on the U24), then what you get through the headphone jack is the output from the iPad after processing.

• @fprintf said:

Once you plug the U24 into your iPad the output automatically switches to the U24. There’s a knob at the bottom for direct monitoring or DAW playback. In your case you’ll have it turned to DAW to hear the signal after it’s been processed through the app. You’d be plugging the headphones into the U24

• @AndyPlankton said:

I think the U24 has hardware monitoring...if you have this turned on then when plugged into the headphone jack on the U24 you will hear what is going to the input....this is for latency free monitoring of what you are recording......
    If you turn off the hardware monitoring (not sure how you do this on the U24), then what you get through the headphone jack is the output from the iPad after processing.

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Once you plug the U24 into your iPad the output automatically switches to the U24. There’s a knob at the bottom for direct monitoring or DAW playback. In your case you’ll have it turned to DAW to hear the signal after it’s been processed through the app. You’d be plugging the headphones into the U24

Thanks guys for the quick responses! That makes me feel that much better about my decision to buy this interface!

For anyone else in the U.S. thinking of ordering this from the deal on the other thread, I placed my order on Wednesday evening, it shipped yesterday and is supposedly on track for delivery by end of day today by DHL. This was the standard shipping service, about $15 I think. I'm not sure if that timing will actually happen, since it says it is in customs in NYC right now but I think it is just remarkably good service. (worst case scenario, it comes on Monday, still very quick delivery from across the Atlantic Ocean!)

• Just bought the U22 to record my hardware jam audio into my iPhone when shooting video. Small enough to permanently fix to the camera mount on my desk

• I ordered the u44 on a Sunday and it was delivered on Tuesday. DHL and gear4music
    Rules!

@fprintf said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Thanks guys for the quick responses! That makes me feel that much better about my decision to buy this interface!

For anyone else in the U.S. thinking of ordering this from the deal on the other thread, I placed my order on Wednesday evening, it shipped yesterday and is supposedly on track for delivery by end of day today by DHL. This was the standard shipping service, about $15 I think. I'm not sure if that timing will actually happen, since it says it is in customs in NYC right now but I think it is just remarkably good service. (worst case scenario, it comes on Monday, still very quick delivery from across the Atlantic Ocean!)

• @fprintf said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

I don’t think you will regret it. It is a good sound card and I originally posted it, so I hope that I didn’t mislead anyone.

Also, for about $30 you can get Alesis midi hub IO, that connects directly to iPad and gives you audio out (2x1/4 jack) and midi in/out to connect to external gear TWO WAYS.
    I can record midi from Digitakt to iPad or send mid to Digitakt from Ipad from apps. No latency, it has headphones 1/4” and foot switch in.

• Forgot to say, there is a firmware update on zoom site. It fixed some issues with installing drivers on Windows and a few others fixes

• @soundklinik said:
    Forgot to say, there is a firmware update on zoom site. It fixed some issues with installing drivers on Windows and a few others fixes

I'm glad you linked to that, I've updated my firmware and GarageBand on my iMac is seeing the Zoom just fine - I didn't bother testing it without the firmware update so I have no idea if it was a problem or not. The Zoom site said Macs would sometimes not see the device properly.

• edited February 2018

Alright so I have a question right away I am hoping you experts can help me with. I am running this interface into GarageBand for now on my iMac until I get my iPad up and running. I have a Shure SM58 microphone plugged into the #2 input. For the lift of me I couldn't figure out how to get the sound out of the left ear. This #2 input goes to the right channel on GB, it is a mono input. When I change the input on GB to mono the sound from the microphone goes silent, I think it is looking for an input from the left channel.

When I plug the microphone into the #1 input, which sends audio to the left stereo channel, and then put on the mono setting it works just fine.

I am concerned because I wanted to use the #1 input for my guitar as high impedance. What am I missing? (sorry I know you guys aren't customer support but you're my best resource at the moment besides Google, which isn't being helpful)

EDIT: I figured it out. GB was defaulting to Input 1 when I clicked on MONO, when I changed it to Input 2 it all went great. Sorry for the diversion, let me know if I should delete this or leave it for posterity!

• You got it. Glad you figured it out, I was just about to write about changing the input to 2.
    And now I did.

• Received the U-44, nice bit of kit and yes ipad sees all 4 inputs...

• @Carnbot said:
    Received the U-44, nice bit of kit and yes ipad sees all 4 inputs...

Now all you need is this....or something similar

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302421106459

• @supadom said:

@Carnbot said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302421106459

yes, ordered one yesterday :)
    But I bought an analogue to digital one as they aren't reversible I don't think...
    So I got this one:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analog-RCA-L-R-Audio-Converter-Adapter-to-Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink/253319988668?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• @Carnbot said:

@supadom said:

@Carnbot said:

But I bought an analogue to digital one as they aren't reversible I don't think...
    So I got this one:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analog-RCA-L-R-Audio-Converter-Adapter-to-Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink/253319988668?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Yep, good point ;)

• @Carnbot said:

@supadom said:

@Carnbot said:

So I got this one:

What do the two extra inputs allow you to connect? Is it just the MBP, or could you use them for iPads?

• anyone tried mic modules for the U-44?

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@supadom said:

@Carnbot said:

So I got this one:

What do the two extra inputs allow you to connect? Is it just the MBP, or could you use them for iPads?

With the analog to digital adapter I just bought, any analog signal in theory eg from external synths or an ipad headphone jack etc, but until I get it to test, might run into some issues but will see. :)

Also with the U44 digital input i want to try getting ios audio into that too, digitally, from an extra ipad or an iphone for example. I'm getting an hdmi audio splitter because I needed one anyway. When I get that I'm going to see if I can use hdmi audio into the ipad through that port as I have an iOS AV adapter.

I don't know what kind of latency to expect with all that but will be interesting to see if it can work that way....

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@supadom said:

@Carnbot said:

So I got this one:

With the analog to digital adapter I just bought, any analog signal in theory eg from external synths or an ipad headphone jack etc, but until I get it to test, might run into some issues but will see. :)

Also with the U44 digital input i want to try getting ios audio into that too, digitally, from an extra ipad or an iphone for example. I'm getting an hdmi audio splitter because I needed one anyway. When I get that I'm going to see if I can use hdmi audio into the ipad through that port as I have an iOS AV adapter.

I don't know what kind of latency to expect with all that but will be interesting to see if it can work that way....

Ah right...sounds promising. If it works, and still on sale I might grab it.

• Yeah, really like this u44 now I've had a chance to play with it. Will definitely buy the extra module when money allows. Shame that the extra module when attached stops the digital ins from working so it can only max at 4 inputs. But you can do a lot with this for the price.