Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

30 pin connectors and general ipad first gen question.

Is there a way to keep a physical midi connection plugged in and send power to the device?
I have a couple midi mobilizers and would love to use them, but I would like to keep the devices powered.

Second question, is there a definitive list of what audio apps work on first gens?

Thanks!

Comments

• Docks or irig midi.

• I should have been clearer, besides docks.

• edited February 2018

The IK MIDI rig does that, i use it on an iPhone 4.
    Give you a micro USB for charging.

• iRig MIDI and Tascam iU2. I use them both and they work fine.

• The original irig midi has a 30 pin connector and also has a micro USB port on the side that if plugged into an iPad charger sends power to the iPad as well. I still use it with my ipad3.

• Second question, is there a definitive list of what audio apps work on first gens?

These all work, to some reasonable degree, on my iPad 1. I wouldn't buy any of them now just to run on an old iPad—the store may not offer you an older version to load anymore.

Nanostudio
    Genome
    Chordbot
    StepPolyArp
    BeatMaker
    BeatMaker2
    PixiTracker 1Bit
    PixiTracker
    Cubasis
    ChordPolyPad
    ProChords
    Sunvox
    Drumjam
    thumbjam
    DM1
    iElectribe
    Funkbox
    triqtraq
    MoDrum
    Beat-Machine
    RealBeat
    SoundPrism
    SoundPrism Pro
    Musix
    Orphion
    Polychord
    Samplr
    Werkbench
    Midi Designer
    Arp Pro
    Nodebeat HD
    Gestrument
    Changeling
    Launchpad
    TC-11
    Echopad
    Filtatron
    MultiTrack DAW
    Loopy HD
    Audioshare
    Hokusai
    iFretless Bass/Guitar
    guitarism
    Arctic Keys
    Xenon
    Sunrizer
    Magellan
    Cassini
    Alchemy
    Galileo
    Nlog Pro
    iSEM
    iMini
    Grain Science
    Animoog
    Arctic Prosynth
    Thor
    elsa
    Sylo Synth
    MorphWiz
    BitWiz
    iPulsaret
    Stria
    iDensity
    Tachyon
    iMidiPatchBay
    MidiBridge
    bs-16i
    iLectric Piano
    M3000 HD
    Manetron2
    ManetronMarkII
    sir Sampleton
    SampleWiz
    SampleTank

• @aaronpc You rock, thank you!

• In many cases (but not always) you can purchase the current app version via iTunes, go to your iPad 1 and download the last version that was released for it.

I'd like to add a few apps to the great iOS 5.1.1-compatibility list from above :)
    Lemur (YES!)
    TB Midi Stuff (another MIDI remote, a bit less deep than Lemur but photorealistic surface)
    YAMAHA Synth Arp & Drum Pad
    YAMAHA Mobile Music Sequencer
    Alexander Gross Music Studio
    Auria V1
    Garageband
    Modstep
    Figure
    KORG iPolysix (iPad 1 limits polyphony)
    KORG iMS-20 (works great)
    DXi (4-OP FM)
    Virsyn iVoxel
    Impaktor
    Fairlight Pro
    Borderlands Granular
    PPG WaveGenerator
    Everyday Looper
    Steinberg LoopMash HD
    GlitchBreaks
    TC VoiceJam
    Molten Drum Machine
    Noisepad
    Reactable
    Twisted Wave (great quick audio file editor with FTP upload and "open in...")
    DAW Control (Mackie Control emulation, seems a bit unstable)

• Some features on iPad one version of apps won’t work though - for example features accessing Dropbox often get broken when Dropbox changes its software.

• edited February 2018

limited network capabilities are the most severe restriction of IOS 5.1
    Audioshare can only import from WebDAV and no export except Soundcloud and eMail.
    (just tested SC which is quite stunning given the time past)
    Not all apps may be available in a 5.1.1 compatible version, even if that existed before.
    Apps may adjust their calculation power to the older CPU which generally means no oversampling and such stuff.
    ps: overall an iPad One is still a very useful device.

• The fun thing with an iPad 1 is that you can jailbreak it and potentially make Dropbox or an intermediate helper app like Audioshare obsolete because you can access every app's data directly, even over WiFi.

• I have an Alesis I/o dock for my ancient iPad 2. Every once in a while it would crash and send out a deafening blast of white noise at max volume. So now it sits unused. Anyone Elise have this issue ever?

• @soundshaper said:
    I have an Alesis I/o dock for my ancient iPad 2. Every once in a while it would crash and send out a deafening blast of white noise at max volume. So now it sits unused. Anyone Elise have this issue ever?

Nope. Though I haven’t used it in a long time.

• @soundshaper I'm using an Alesis 1/o dock on a 3rd gen and it's fine.

• Some great lists there you guys.

• @soundshaper possibly the charging unit inside is about to fail - at least that seems a common problem some old docks develope.
    (mine has failed charging entirely, but it was solvable with relatively few effort by soldering a USB cable to some pins on board, so any USB charger does the job now)
    There must be different build versions, though - the 'hack' mentions this mod also powers the analog circuits, which it doesn't in my case... so I still need a small 6V supply to get a tone out of the unit (which really is quite good considering it's price tag)

• @rs2000 said:
    The fun thing with an iPad 1 is that you can jailbreak it and potentially make Dropbox or an intermediate helper app like Audioshare obsolete because you can access every app's data directly, even over WiFi.

On my ipad1 that was given to me I did jailbreak it but Ifile keeps crashing, is there something else that will work?