Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - February 2018

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

SoundCloud account:

https://soundcloud.com/song-of-the-month-club

Comments

• Waiting for the mic and lights to return to record reviews for Jan so thought I’d kick Feb off with something from these four. Contemplated a ‘Dodgy Duets Duel’ thread but Thereza Bazar is giving it some serious swearing and I hope the Club see the huge tongue inside the cheek of Jason. Tried (not) to lip sync. All In LumaFusion. Ladies and Gentlemen, please put your hands together for The Modollars. :)

Where’s my bloody mic?

• @Bluepunk There's something unfathomably depressing about that. Parts of what your boys express about the world are exactly what I suspect and why I stay behind the sofa mostly.

• @Bluepunk, who are those folks. No, not the two cute little blondes happily bopping away, whose innocence was so RUDELY stolen by the man in black. :D

• edited February 2018

Well, this one has been a long time coming. I do need to write things that don’t take me months to get down. Original piece of acoustic guitar music, “The Hunt”. Starts out like a slow amble in the woods, with a bit of amped up pace in the middle, the hunt, then an amble again, after the excitement has died down. One piece of art, a drawing, with the subtitle, “Who’s Hunting Who?”. This is my first attempt at higher quality video as well, with the ubiquitous white background.

Recorded in Auria with two mics, my old trusty Audio Technical AT2020, and a .50 cal mic from 12gaugemicrophones. Video shot with my iPhone 8, edited down in Lumafusion.

• So if were establishing a new theme of start the month with some music to inspire, thanks @Bluepunk , here's some Modernist Cuban music from 1985:

http://ubu.com/sound/116_musica_cubana.html

• @Bluepunk said:
    Waiting for the mic and lights to return to record reviews for Jan so thought I’d kick Feb off with something from these four. Contemplated a ‘Dodgy Duets Duel’ thread but Thereza Bazar is giving it some serious swearing and I hope the Club see the huge tongue inside the cheek of Jason. Tried (not) to lip sync. All In LumaFusion. Ladies and Gentlemen, please put your hands together for The Modollars. :)

Where’s my bloody mic?

Wow, that's a seriously good and funny mashup, especially the second half where Dollar are singing the profanities from Sleaford. Hilarious.

@rickwaugh what Bluey has done here is taken two very disparate bits of English popular culture, and melted them together in some kind of radioactive vat. Dollar were a really cheesy late 70s/early 80s pop duo, and Sleaford Mods are contemporary sweary proto punk rappers of the type your gran would say "can't sing".

• edited February 2018

A new experience for me, posting my track at the start of the month and not the end. Even weirder, I'm working on my song for March at the start of February...

Verses for a friend
    The pain of troubled ends
    Words don't come easily
    The page stares silently
    Can you change the world, yeah?

Turn it on
    Knock it out
    You are the moon
    You lift the night

Sing your song
    Softly shout
    A wistful tune
    The time is right

Will your voice be heard?
    Will you beguile with words?
    With elegance and poise
    A signal through the noise
    Will you change the world, yeah?

Turn it on
    Knock it out
    You are the moon
    You lift the night

Sing your song
    Softly shout
    A wistful tune
    The time is right

• @Bluepunk said:
    Waiting for the mic and lights to return to record reviews for Jan so thought I’d kick Feb off with something from these four. Contemplated a ‘Dodgy Duets Duel’ thread but Thereza Bazar is giving it some serious swearing and I hope the Club see the huge tongue inside the cheek of Jason. Tried (not) to lip sync. All In LumaFusion. Ladies and Gentlemen, please put your hands together for The Modollars. :)

Where’s my bloody mic?

Nice one. Love it. It's refreshing to hear that, & It's also nice o hear some indie bands from the UK. ;)

• @richardyot said:
    A new experience for me, posting my track at the start of the month and not the end. Even weirder, I'm working on my song for March at the start of February...

Verses for a friend
    The pain of troubled ends
    Words don't come easily
    The page stares silently
    Can you change the world, yeah?

Turn it on
    Knock it out
    You are the moon
    You lift the night

Sing your song
    Softly shout
    A wistful tune
    The time is right

Will your voice be heard?
    Will you beguile with words?
    With elegance and poise
    A signal through the noise
    Will you change the world, yeah?

Turn it on
    Knock it out
    You are the moon
    You lift the night

Sing your song
    Softly shout
    A wistful tune
    The time is right

Nice production (again). Love the Rhodes....... infact alll of it. Chilled me out whilst driving from Coral Bay, to Pahos AirPort (Anarita). :)

• @Bluepunk Thanks for this, off to check some more Sleaford Mods :)

• @rickwaugh said:
    Well, this one has been a long time coming. I do need to write things that don’t take me months to get down. Original piece of acoustic guitar music, “The Hunt”. Starts out like a slow amble in the woods, with a bit of amped up pace in the middle, the hunt, then an amble again, after the excitement has died down. One piece of art, a drawing, with the subtitle, “Who’s Hunting Who?”. This is my first attempt at higher quality video as well, with the ubiquitous white background.

Recorded in Auria with two mics, my old trusty Audio Technical AT2020, and a .50 cal mic from 12gaugemicrophones. Video shot with my iPhone 8, edited down in Lumafusion.

I liked listening to this while I was sipping my coffee at my desk this morning. I got an almost medieval feeling from it...had flashes of Rush intro's (Farewell to Kings/The Trees)...nice stuff....
    Video both looks and sounds good.

• @richardyot said:

Great sound to this....like the overall feeling....IF I were to suggest anything it would be to just pull back slightly on the lead synth that comes in later on, just a touch, take this with a pinch of salt though as my hearing is massively improved but I'm not 100% convinced it is fully back to normal so may just be me.

• Here's my Feb contribution guys......... Two Mixes of the same song...........

Enjoy!....... ;)

First one, the Disco mix..........

Second one, the Deep House Mix..........

• This one started in Groove Rider, this past Christmas, right after Groove Rider dropped. I hadn't even figured out how to change the key yet, so this is in C-Major. I came up with a bass and a couple synth parts I liked in GR-16 before our green and red enchilada Christmas dinner was out of the oven. Then I discovered MV08 which updated at the same time and got some press in the forum. I built up the drums in MV08, brought it all into BM3, to mess with, and then finished in Auria.

I hope Lemmy and the rest of the rock gods will forgive me for writing a tune in a major key, and without any guitars. (a first for me!)

Lyrics:

Nightshade

My right hand knows not what the left has planned
    My heart stuck between in this big box of crayons
    They all appear black and gray with shades of brown
    Except for one that shines with her very own sound
    She spins ‘round

She wears her heart on a string
    She holds her head the clouds
    She wears kaleidoscope wings
    And whispers strawberry sounds
    She makes the moon shine bright
    The queen of her masquerade
    I’m blinded by her light
    She is my nightshade

The paint on my brush doesn’t know where to flow
    Imagination clouds my thoughts do you think she knows?
    My eyes shut tight I hope this feeling lasts
    Let me find the nerve before the moment's passed
    Colors splash

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    This one started in Groove Rider, this past Christmas, right after Groove Rider dropped. I hadn't even figured out how to change the key yet, so this is in C-Major. I came up with a bass and a couple synth parts I liked in GR-16 before our green and red enchilada Christmas dinner was out of the oven. Then I discovered MV08 which updated at the same time and got some press in the forum. I built up the drums in MV08, brought it all into BM3, to mess with, and then finished in Auria.

I hope Lemmy and the rest of the rock gods will forgive me for writing a tune in a major key, and without any guitars. (a first for me!)

Lyrics:

Nightshade

My right hand knows not what the left has planned
    My heart stuck between in this big box of crayons
    They all appear black and gray with shades of brown
    Except for one that shines with her very own sound
    She spins ‘round

She wears her heart on a string
    She holds her head the clouds
    She wears kaleidoscope wings
    And whispers strawberry sounds
    She makes the moon shine bright
    The queen of her masquerade
    I’m blinded by her light
    She is my nightshade

The paint on my brush doesn’t know where to flow
    Imagination clouds my thoughts do you think she knows?
    My eyes shut tight I hope this feeling lasts
    Let me find the nerve before the moment's passed
    Colors splash

Nicely done matey. I'm sure Lemmy wouldn't mind at all? ;)

• @rickwaugh said:

Mister Rick: Love the video! Obsessed with the the 'machine head' shot. Nicely done. Were you sat under very bright lights to achieve the 'against white' effect? I fiddle with video a lot but there's no substitute for seeing someone actually at work. And, of course, it's a forever document that says I was here!. As for the tune, the nod above to the 'medieval' court music is exactly right. Whether they actually did play this sort of stuff I have no idea. Most of my feelings about it are probably influenced by cod-lute playing in technicolor movies starring Tyrone Power. However I am more and more interested in the space and pauses of pieces and this has those in a very thoughtful way and then, again, there's the sheer novelty (at this point in history) of a Man Sat There and Actually Playing his Instrument. Bravo!

• @rickwaugh It's great watching you play, and also really interesting to see the precision of your sequenced pieces translating into a live performance. Your style is very unusual and idiosyncratic, which is cool, you pursue your own vision.

I find this more engaging than the notion-derived pieces, maybe that's down to the spontaneity of the live performance, but it's an enjoyable listen.

• @studs1966 It's always party time round at your house, and always summer time. Again it's the guitar that really lifts the track, love that funky guitar riff pulsing in the background (in the Disco Mix).

I definitely prefer the Disco Mix, but I think I just prefer Disco to House, but it's a good and uplifting track. Only thing I can criticise is that the vocals sound out of tune in parts (just slightly), maybe they were sampled in a different key? Or maybe the pitch correction isn't quite right? Not sure, but it's just a slight flaw, in this style you expect the vocals to be flawless so it is a bit jarring to my ears.

• edited February 2018

@Shaken&;Stirred I prefer the drums this month :), and the overall instrumentation works well and gels together nicely.

The melody in the second half of the chorus (After the word "kaleidoscope") is excellent, I love that. Only small crit for me would be that maybe the verses could be sung more softly/warmly, but it's a good song, especially the chorus.

• @richardyot said:
    @studs1966 It's always party time round at your house, and always summer time. Again it's the guitar that really lifts the track, love that funky guitar riff pulsing in the background (in the Disco Mix).

I definitely prefer the Disco Mix, but I think I just prefer Disco to House, but it's a good and uplifting track. Only thing I can criticise is that the vocals sound out of tune in parts (just slightly), maybe they were sampled in a different key? Or maybe the pitch correction isn't quite right? Not sure, but it's just a slight flaw, in this style you expect the vocals to be flawless so it is a bit jarring to my ears.

Yep your right. I did have a problem with pitching the vocals. The acapella vocals was meant to be Fm, but it wasn't quite right. I was playing around a bit, but in the end, i said to myself, "Fuck It!" I'll have another go later on, or maybe find an acapella that would suit better?.... But thanks all the same @richardyot.

• @rickwaugh said:

Very pretty piece, well done! Video too. I wouldn't guess it was done on a iPhone. I think you captured the "walk in the woods" vibe. As I was listening, it reminded me of something I might hear as I was walking through a Renaissance Fair.. not sure why, but that's what popped into my head! As someone who can't finger pick worth a damn, I'm impressed with your playing. Very nicely executed, and it was refreshing seeing the live performance.

• @richardyot said:

Nice track all around! I like the lyrics, vocals..everything really, it all works well. Mix is really good, except I think your drums subgroup fader needs some automation, or maybe just kick/snare. Through my cans they sound like they're getting buried a bit during the choruses, or where that pad/droney thing comes in. Also, I like the guitar in the intro - I was hoping it would return, but alas, it wasn't to be. Maybe that's just because I'm a guitar player first and foremost. Anyway, very nice job on this!

• @richardyot, thanks for the explain. @bluepunk, the two little blondes could have been a new version of Donny and Marie. Music again recycles itself. @richardyot, thanks for the review. I know what you mean, watching someone is always fascinating to me, as long as it’s well done. I want to try to up my game on my art and videos, because it’s fun, and it might actually entice more people to watch. @AndyPlankton, lol, I know that Rush piece well. I’m definitely influenced by old music, Andy and @Shaken&;Stirred. I keep thinking I’m not, people keep hearing it.

@JohnnyGoodyear, I love spaces and pauses in instrumental music. Not good for dance music, but listening music, it makes the piece way more interesting, I think. It’s almost always present in classical.

The video: This is referred to on the web as the “Apple” look, as they often do the white backgrounds for their commericals. I built a 10’ by 6’ frame out of PVC tubing, and hung a white sheet on it. I bought two photography lights, quite cheap on Amazon. They are focussed on the sheet, quite close, from either side. I then sit in front of where the lights shine. The iPhone is focussed on me, so adjusts its light to make me viewable, which causes the light on the white sheet to wash out, giving me that “glowing in space” effect. Everything else, cutting and transitions, is Lumafusion. Whole set up was only a couple of hundred Canuck.

• @richardyot, that’s a great tune, all around. Love the mix, seems particularly clear and well placed this month. The one nit there is the drums fade a bit too much in the chorus, I think, in that it’s noticeable; the idea of the fade is good, but just not that much. Great lyrics as well.

• @studs1966, I see the crit of the vocal pitching; it was quite jarring, not your usual perfection. Rhythm guitar sounded a tad off in spots as well, but I don’t know if my ear had gotten confused by the vocals.

I listened to the Deep House mix. You always make it sound incredible. It needs a massive set of speakers to do it justice. Sadly, I no longer have those. But great mix, as usual.

• @Shaken&;Stirred, I really like that. Great overall feel and mix; makes me think of some stuff from the late 60s, early 70s, though I can’t quite put my finger on what. There was something odd about the treatment on the voice at “she spins around”, that made it a bit of a jar from the previous line, whether it was how it was recorded, or reverb, not sure. Lyrics are very cool.

• @studs1966 said:
    Here's my Feb contribution guys......... Two Mixes of the same song...........

Enjoy!....... ;)

well, I read Richard's comment about the vocal pitch, so I was listening for it. :) I noticed it more on the house mix than the disco. I think I prefer the disco mix as well. they both sounds good though, excellent mix as always, nice work!

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    This one started in Groove Rider, this past Christmas, right after Groove Rider dropped. I hadn't even figured out how to change the key yet, so this is in C-Major. I came up with a bass and a couple synth parts I liked in GR-16 before our green and red enchilada Christmas dinner was out of the oven. Then I discovered MV08 which updated at the same time and got some press in the forum. I built up the drums in MV08, brought it all into BM3, to mess with, and then finished in Auria.

Awesome stuff, particularly in a new app and without your trusty axe...usual great vocal, nice !

• @rickwaugh said:
    @Shaken&;Stirred, I really like that. Great overall feel and mix; makes me think of some stuff from the late 60s, early 70s, though I can’t quite put my finger on what. There was something odd about the treatment on the voice at “she spins around”, that made it a bit of a jar from the previous line, whether it was how it was recorded, or reverb, not sure. Lyrics are very cool.

Yeah, that vocal treatment you mention was my trying to be clever, and the more I listen to it, the less I like it, so I agree with your assessment. my wife says the same thing about the 60s vibe, so you're not alone there either! thanks for the nice words.> @richardyot said:

@Shaken&;Stirred I prefer the drums this month :), and the overall instrumentation works well and gels together nicely.

The melody in the second half of the chorus (After the word "kaleidoscope") is excellent, I love that. Only small crit for me would be that maybe the verses could be sung more softly/warmly, but it's a good song, especially the chorus.

thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. "Singing softly" and I don't get along (it requires actual singing), but I know what you mean! ;) cheers!

• @studs1966 said:
    Here's my Feb contribution guys......... Two Mixes of the same song...........

Enjoy!....... ;)

Preferred the disco mix of the two.....good balanced mix as usual, agree about the vox sounding slightly odd at points. How are you pitching the vox ? If you are struggling to get it spot on, you can load into an AUM file player and get some pretty fine adjustment using the playback speed.