Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GeekGo MicroSD and SD Card Reader for iOS

For all those cats out there like me, who have a handy recorder and just want to transfer some files directly to the iPad without using a computer. The solution is here.

Commercial type Video

Full Demo and Review

Comments

• Thanks for sharing.

• Good info. Looks like a good solution to using my h5 in the field. Thanks for sharing!

• It works perfect. The companion app could use some work in the design, but it does allow easy transfer of files.

• where do you buy it? how much?

• edited February 2018

@eross Amazon. Its like 16.96 right now. Here is a link.

http://amzn.to/2EAfvZx

• Well there you go - that's the answer!

• Unfortunately, the GeekGo (or pretty much most of these budget all-in-one readers) don't support photo RAW files. Some don't even support video files over 1080.

Anyone know of one that does everything the GeekGo does AND supports RAW and 4k video? The Apple reader does, but it only supports photo/video. No audio.

• @skiphunt do you want to just preview the file inside the app or copy to another app for processing? Even if GeekGo can't preview the file, it can open-in pretty much any file as long as you have the appropriate app on your phone or iPad.

I just tested this with a RAW file take with my Lumix G7. I was able to open in directly into Lightroom on my iPad using the GeekGo App.

• edited February 2018

@gmslayton said:
    @skiphunt do you want to just preview the file inside the app or copy to another app for processing? Even if GeekGo can't preview the file, it can open-in pretty much any file as long as you have the appropriate app on your phone or iPad.

I just tested this with a RAW file take with my Lumix G7. I was able to open in directly into Lightroom on my iPad using the GeekGo App.

I think it’s only transferring the jpeg version. Not RAW (though I’d love to be proven wrong) The sellers of GeekGo readers say it doesn’t support raw in the Amazon user questions section. Though, I’m not sure why.

Do you have Affinity Photo for iPad? If so, after you transfer or open in, it should default to the RAW version if it’s supported.

Also, have you transferred 4K video over and confirmed it’s still 4K?

So far, the only ways I’ve seen that support RAW photo are the readers that work just like the App.e reader, ie. they only transfer photo/video into the camera roll. But those don’t support audio.

I’ve also got wireless card readers (AirStash and RavPower) and those support RAW and 4K (as well as all audio), but transfer over WiFi can be kinda slow.

• @skiphunt I dont have Affinity Photo but I did just take a RAW file with no JPG and it opened it fine using the open-in function in Lightroom.

I think they say it doesn't support RAW because you cant preview the file inside the app. But the app will actually see every file on the drive and allow you to open in.

It also played back the 4k mp4 file I took with my Limix Camera. It was a little laggy but it played it back in the app. It also allowed me to openin and save to documents. I put it on my iCloud. Waited for it to upload and then went to my computer. Viewed the file and it appears to be a 1 to 1 transfer. in the info it says dimensions 3840x2160.

Wiresless for somethings is ok but when you start talking about large files, it slow. This seems to be fairly fast from what I can tell.

• @skiphunt I can also shoot a video of it processing RAW and 4k video if you want further confirmation. Might be good for people anyway.

• @gmslayton said:
    @skiphunt I can also shoot a video of it processing RAW and 4k video if you want further confirmation. Might be good for people anyway.

No need. You might be right about them just saying the app previews don’t support raw. I think I might get this one then. My main field audio recorder has WiFi transfer, but I have an older Sony recorder that I love and transfers can be a little hassle. This one looks like a cheap option to keep in the bag. Thanks for verifying!

• @skiphunt it's been a great find for me so far. If you do get it, use the link above. It's my amazon affiliate link. I'm trying to get verified with them.

• @gmslayton said:
    @skiphunt it's been a great find for me so far. If you do get it, use the link above. It's my amazon affiliate link. I'm trying to get verified with them.

Will do. Why did you go for the one with a little cable instead of the one that also has micro usb? I know you are supposed to be able to hook it up to an external battery pack while also using the reader, but they literally say don’t use it as a cable in their product description. Go ahead and add your product affiliate link for the non-cable microUSB one too in case I decide to get that one instead.

• @gmslayton said:
    @eross Amazon. Its like 16.96 right now. Here is a link.

http://amzn.to/2EAfvZx

wow awesome

• @skiphunt I went with the one with the cable because I have an otterbox on my iPhone and the dongle style allows me to use it with the case still on. Plus I have no need for Micro USB as I have no Android devices.

Not exactly sure which one you are referring to so here are a few links.

http://amzn.to/2EaV7Af

http://amzn.to/2EBqXUA

http://amzn.to/2BRPPVa

• edited February 2018

@gmslayton said:
    @skiphunt I went with the one with the cable because I have an otterbox on my iPhone and the dongle style allows me to use it with the case still on. Plus I have no need for Micro USB as I have no Android devices.

Not exactly sure which one you are referring to so here are a few links.

http://amzn.to/2EaV7Af

http://amzn.to/2EBqXUA

http://amzn.to/2BRPPVa

I’m going to get the same one you did. I think their translator person writing descriptions and answering questions just doesn’t have a strong command of the English language. They are showing a photo of it being used for charging via battery pack in their description. It’d be nice to have a compact backup charge cable anyway.

Micro USB option is handy when you want to charge up battery packs, since most of them use micro USB for the charge port. But that wouldn’t work with their micro USB version since the micro and regular USB plugs are on the same end.

I think I might get a LifeProof waterproof iPhone case soon too. You can actually submerge and dive with those cases and I bet I’d need the cable too if I didn’t want to take it out of the case.

Also, the one with a cable says it supports up to 256GB cards and the non-cable microUSB one says it tops out at 128GB

• @skiphunt I can't confirm the size of the cards it supports. I only have a 64gb card to test.

• @gmslayton said:
    @skiphunt I can't confirm the size of the cards it supports. I only have a 64gb card to test.

via product description it says 128GB for the microUSB one, and up to 256GB for the cable one you have. No need for confirmation

• edited February 2018

@gmslayton I’m going to order this now, as well as the latest Ryuichi Sakamoto CD “async” and this paperback book “The Peregrine (New York Review Books Classics)” so that I can get free one-day prime delivery. If you want to make an affiliate link for those 2 additional, items I’ll use your links so you’ll get credit for 3 affiliate purchases.

• Thanks...

• @skiphunt I think I get bounties on things after you click on the link for one thing. I get a bounty for the other things that are purchased. It would be a good test anyway.

• edited February 2018

@gmslayton said:
    @skiphunt I think I get bounties on things after you click on the link for one thing. I get a bounty for the other things that are purchased. It would be a good test anyway.

I’m not familiar with “bounties”. Would you prefer I just use your original link and then add the other items to the order as a test? Or, do you want to give me additional affiliate links?

• @skiphunt Just use the original link and browse for the other items as well.

• @gmslayton said:
    @skiphunt Just use the original link and browse for the other items as well.

Ok. Just did. Thanks for all you do. :)

• As a follow up on this... I got the GeekGo myself based on @gmslayton 's review and info.

It arrived yesterday. I also have the official Apple regular SD card reader to compare to.

First of all, I thought the iUSB Pro, app was buggy or something. Kept crashing on me when I tried to transfer images or video to the camera roll. Sharing/exporting/open in worked fine.

Here's what I discovered.. at the bottom of the iUSB app screen there's an icon to view what's on the SD card. There are also icons for the App, Camera, iPad/iPhone, and settings.

IMPORTANT: I first went to the iUSB icon to view my SD card content. That's where I was getting crashes. After I selected the iPad/iPhone icon to view the device's camera roll, I got the message asking permission for the iUSB app to access the camera roll. After I granted permission, everything worked well as expected. So, after you install the app, make sure you first go to the iPad/iPhone device icon so that you can grant the app access to the camera roll.

The speed of transfer with the GeekGo seems slightly faster than the Apple SD card. Not blazingly so, but noticeable.

Score 1 for GeekGo vs Apple reader

What's GREAT about the GeekGo app is that once I've loaded an SD card and after it's built the thumbnail library of previews, when I reinsert the card later, it doesn't have to rebuild the thumbnails every time. The Apple one is not like this. If you have an SD card full of highres photos with RAW files, this can be very time consuming. The Apple reader has to rebuild the thumbnails every freakin' time. Not so with the GeekGo.

Score 2 for GeekGo vs Apple reader

Contrary to what the seller of the GeekGo has replied to users in the questions section, it DOES support photo RAW files. It just doesn't create a preview of the RAW files. I shoot JPG + RAW, so I just note the file number of the JPG file and open it's RAW counterpart. The Apple SD card reader only shows you one preview, but opens as RAW in applications that support RAW. I think I prefer the GeekGo method in that I know for sure I'm opening the RAW file specifically and not inadvertently getting the JPG preview or companion file.

Score 3 for GeekGo vs Apple reader

The Apple reader only supports SD, or micro SD with an adaptor. The GeekGo has both SD and micro SD slots so I don't have to carry a micro SD to SD converter with me.

Score 4 for GeekGo vs Apple reader

The GeekGo allows you to use the USB end to connect to an external backup battery to charge your device, while also transferring files to/from your SD card. I just tried this and it works fine. The app is a little finicky with regard to charging AND transferring, but I found that it seems to work better if you start charging first, then insert the SD card. The Apple SD card obviously doesn't do this at all.

Score 5 for GeekGo vs Apple reader

The Apple SD reader ONLY interfaces with the camera roll. Using the GeekGo and it's app, I can interface copy/move etc. with other file management apps. I just tried moving a video file to the iUSB Pro app and then onto an SD card in the GeekGo reader using the GoodReader app. Worked perfectly. I also tried using Apple's Files app and did the same thing. Worked just as well.

Score 6 for GeekGo vs Apple reader

This is a great find and solves a lot of file management issues I have using my mobile devices on the road. Excellent buy and highly recommended!

Thanks to @gmslayton for turning me onto this and make sure you use his affiliate link so that he gets the credit if you decide to buy one for yourself. : http://amzn.to/2EAfvZx

• @skiphunt Glad its working out for you and thanks for sharing my link again. It is a good little product. I am going to do some tests on how quickly it can transfer audio files to audioshare. Just to get a benchmark. It does seem to go pretty quickly, alot faster an WIFI.

• @gmslayton I just ordered one of these to use with my H4n. I'll let you know if my experience differs from yours.

Thanks for finding this - what a great solution to a very specific problem....

• does it work with UHS-II cards?

• @LeonLeroy said:
    does it work with UHS-II cards?

Just tried a Transcend R95-W60MB/sec 64GB SD XC I - U3 with a high res RAW photo and a 4K video clip. Worked perfectly and very fast.