Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Lo-fly dirt update noise

What happened to the last update? The exellent 404 mode is now full of noise, even when the knob is turned to dry. Mistake or intentional? That was my favorite mode.

Comments

• It really deeds an 'advanced' mode to expose the parameters.
    And yes the somewhat 'loop sounding'(it sounds like a looped sample) vinyl noise needs on/off toggle as it 'ruins' the 404 mode...

• @Samu said:
    It really deeds an 'advanced' mode to expose the parameters.

Yes, that would be great. I would also want to be able to tap the modes directly.

And yes the somewhat 'loop sounding'(it sounds like a looped sample) vinyl noise needs on/off toggle as it 'ruins' the 404 mode...

+1

• It really was a bad idea to entirely change the function of that. Any instance where you had it as a 404 is now going to sound completely different. Shame. Kind of scared to use this one now if this is how they’re going to update it.

• The perils of updates

• That stinks. 404 seemed to be the fav mode, too.

• @msimp there's some useful feedback on Lo-Fly Dirt here. I'm loving the app overall but there are some good suggestions/gripes in this thread

• @msimp I love the app too, would you consider an on/off noise button or whatever gui to reduce the noise? The noise is cool but as it is now it takes over the sound and I haven’t read one comment on this forum praising the noise.

• Sorry for the late reply. Just happened to be on the forum and see this thread.

Indeed indeed. If any of you are familiar with the "vinyl sim" setting from an sp404, this is the stance on the update. Its our favorite feature. Similarly, this was one of the most requested features. The original LP filter we applied to the initial release was cool, but there are far better and more useful filters on the market--we chose to bring the vinyl setting as it can be used uniquely, brings new textures to the app, and is easy to use and manipulate.

Not everything is so easily implemented, updated, fixed, added, augmented and so forth when it comes to dev. With our first app, we are definitely learning this. We hope that you will continue to creatively use Lo-Fly. In line with absolutely everything we offer, we wish that all would not use it strictly at the surface level. Dive deep and experiment--we hope there's where you'll find it's usefulness!

Great example of here by Jay Elliot

• @DCJ said:
    It really was a bad idea to entirely change the function of that. Any instance where you had it as a 404 is now going to sound completely different. Shame. Kind of scared to use this one now if this is how they’re going to update it.

Scared to use it because of how we're going to update it? Interesting take my man. I mean to say that I'll continue to find numerous apps/daws useful regardless of what updates appeal to me or not. We brought something to market we are extremely proud of and use personally...no shame in that on our end. Sorry you feel this way. Noted feedback, but interesting take!

• @fattigman said:
    @msimp I love the app too, would you consider an on/off noise button or whatever gui to reduce the noise? The noise is cool but as it is now it takes over the sound and I haven’t read one comment on this forum praising the noise.

Noise/vinyl texture is taste factor--we understand it isnt for everyone. I think it's best to use the new 404 mode on an aux. Bus your sounds/tracks to it and control the level of added noise you'd like. Instantiating the 404 mode on individual tracks over say, 10-12 tracks would definitely get noisy.

No specific toggle button for the noise/404 mode is planned. This is simply accomplished by exiting the actual mode. Hope that helps!

• @theartwebreathe said:
    @msimp there's some useful feedback on Lo-Fly Dirt here. I'm loving the app overall but there are some good suggestions/gripes in this thread

thanks for tagging me in this. thank you all for your feedback as well!

• @msimp thanks for showing up here and weighing in - it's appreciated.

I believe that most if not all of us realize that app development isn't easy and I humbly suggest the following regarding 404 mode: what if there were two 404 modes: 404 (as it was in v1) and 404 vinyl sim mode (as it is now).

Alternately and my own first choice would be for the vinyl sim to be its own separate feature and applicable regardless of which mode one is in. It wouldn't dent the (brilliant) UI simplicity if there was a super small knob dedicated to vinyl sim and I think this would be cause for Lo-Fly celebration.

• @msimp said:

@DCJ said:
    It really was a bad idea to entirely change the function of that. Any instance where you had it as a 404 is now going to sound completely different. Shame. Kind of scared to use this one now if this is how they’re going to update it.

Scared to use it because of how we're going to update it? Interesting take my man. I mean to say that I'll continue to find numerous apps/daws useful regardless of what updates appeal to me or not. We brought something to market we are extremely proud of and use personally...no shame in that on our end. Sorry you feel this way. Noted feedback, but interesting take!

Do you understand my complaint? Any session where I was using the 404 before the update did not have vinyl noise. The vinyl noise cannot be turned off. So now every session where i used the plugin with the 404 setting has a completely different sound. I’m afraid to use the plugin because I can’t depend on a consistent sound. Adding features is one thing, completely changing core functions? That’s what I’d consider “interesting”... fam.

• edited February 2018

@msimp said:

@DCJ said:

What a seriously strange reply from a developer, any developer worth their salt willl know that if you are changing an effector that has been used by users for any amount of time, and they may have projects based on it, then you have that as a legacy mode.
    Your reply here makes me sure that i will advise anybody i speak to uses your effects.
    You are effectively saying with your reply that your effects are only safe to use in projects if users never update the plugin.

Very strange !!

• edited February 2018

@fattigman said:
    What happened to the last update? The exellent 404 mode is now full of noise, even when the knob is turned to dry. Mistake or intentional? That was my favorite mode.

>

I asked about that, and was told it isn’t broken. So must be intentional that in the vinyl mode this effectively apples to the whole mix, without an off option, and not just the track to which it has been applied. Weird.

It’s disappointing, but hey-ho, there are plenty of other FX apps out there. If what we here see as a fault is not fixed, we can akways delete and learn from the experience.

• @msimp said:

@fattigman said:
    @msimp I love the app too, would you consider an on/off noise button or whatever gui to reduce the noise? The noise is cool but as it is now it takes over the sound and I haven’t read one comment on this forum praising the noise.

Noise/vinyl texture is taste factor--we understand it isnt for everyone. I think it's best to use the new 404 mode on an aux. Bus your sounds/tracks to it and control the level of added noise you'd like. Instantiating the 404 mode on individual tracks over say, 10-12 tracks would definitely get noisy.

That totally makes sense. I didn’t understand how it was supposed to be used thank you for the clarification.

• @msimp said:

@fattigman said:

No specific toggle button for the noise/404 mode is planned. This is simply accomplished by exiting the actual mode. Hope that helps!

??? If any plugin automatically and significantly changed the sound of your mix when it was updated you’d be okay with it?

Have to say that was a stunning thing to read :o :D

• So, every other FX app I have - aside from Shaper, which bombs with Auria Pro - can be applied to a specific track, and affect only that track. But when Lo-Fi affects the whole mix and can’t be turned off, I’m using it wrongly. I just don’t get it.

• @Zen210507 said:

@fattigman said:

>

I asked about that, and was told it isn’t broken. So must be intentional that in the vinyl mode this effectively apples to the whole mix, without an off option, and not just the track to which it has been applied. Weird.

It’s disappointing, but hey-ho, there are plenty of other FX apps out there. If what we here see as a fault is not fixed, we can akways delete and learn from the experience.

Or get a refund. There are plenty of app developers who work with their customers.

• @DCJ said:

@msimp said:

@DCJ said:

Do you understand my complaint? Any session where I was using the 404 before the update did not have vinyl noise. The vinyl noise cannot be turned off. So now every session where i used the plugin with the 404 setting has a completely different sound. I’m afraid to use the plugin because I can’t depend on a consistent sound. Adding features is one thing, completely changing core functions? That’s what I’d consider “interesting”... fam.

I easily understood what you meant. I almost had to reply to the dev for being rather dismissive of your concerns, but held back since I don’t even have this plugin. You have my sympathy, though.

• @Proppa said:
    @msimp thanks for showing up here and weighing in - it's appreciated.

I believe that most if not all of us realize that app development isn't easy and I humbly suggest the following regarding 404 mode: what if there were two 404 modes: 404 (as it was in v1) and 404 vinyl sim mode (as it is now).

Alternately and my own first choice would be for the vinyl sim to be its own separate feature and applicable regardless of which mode one is in. It wouldn't dent the (brilliant) UI simplicity if there was a super small knob dedicated to vinyl sim and I think this would be cause for Lo-Fly celebration.

No doubt my man. This is definitely noted and thanks for your input! Super appreciated

• @DCJ said:

@msimp said:

@DCJ said:

Understood. Time will tell how it will continue to develop, but I can say we most definitely appreciate this. Certainly noted.

• @fattigman said:

@msimp said:

@fattigman said:

That totally makes sense. I didn’t understand how it was supposed to be used thank you for the clarification.

No doubt. It's really tough to convey our personal workflows, universally. Just know that at the core of what we do, we look to bring tools that we use--in those ways. If in the mix someone finds that useful, that's a huge win for us. From an iOS standpoint of production, we just want tools available that will enhance our iOS experience and maybe one day replace our desktop setups! Hope that helps and we appreciate the time taken with Lo-Fly & to comment!

• @Samplemunch said:

@msimp said:

@DCJ said:

What a seriously strange reply from a developer, any developer worth their salt willl know that if you are changing an effector that has been used by users for any amount of time, and they may have projects based on it, then you have that as a legacy mode.
    Your reply here makes me sure that i will advise anybody i speak to uses your effects.
    You are effectively saying with your reply that your effects are only safe to use in projects if users never update the plugin.

Very strange !!

Noted my man! Sorry you feel this way, but many people have spoken otherwise. Like previously stated, the vinyl sim was something we wanted to and also requested. We will look into your concerns for sure though.

• @Zen210507 said:
    So, every other FX app I have - aside from Shaper, which bombs with Auria Pro - can be applied to a specific track, and affect only that track. But when Lo-Fi affects the whole mix and can’t be turned off, I’m using it wrongly. I just don’t get it.

How are you using it? On your master channel? That certainly would affect your entire mix. Lo-Fly of course can be used on tracks individually.

• @msimp said:

@Samplemunch said:

@msimp said:

@DCJ said:

Very strange !!

Noted my man! Sorry you feel this way, but many people have spoken otherwise. Like previously stated, the vinyl sim was something we wanted to and also requested. We will look into your concerns for sure though.

Are you actually suggesting that users requested that you break previously created projects that used your effect rather than have a legacy mode ?
    I am calling you a liar on that, unless you supply proof, sorry to be so blunt but what you are suggesting is complete nonsense that nobody ever with more than two braincells would ever ask for.
    Are you actually the developer or just an online support who doesn't really understand what they are saying here ?

• @msimp said:

@Samplemunch said:

@msimp said:

@DCJ said:

Very strange !!

Right now you are damaging this companies reputation no end by claiming that users actually asked for you to remove/change a feature rather than make it a legacy feature that does not break projects that already used the original feature.

• @msimp said:

@Samplemunch said:

@msimp said:

@DCJ said:

Very strange !!

Utter nonsense, users asked for you to break projects that used your effect rather than just create a legacy mode.

• edited February 2018

I thought it was strange, because I liked the previous low-pass effect, and they could’ve just added another toggle for the vinyl mode. But damn lighten up. How hard is it to remove the plug-in from the track and find a substitute. I like the plug-in, but 404 legacy mode is not gonna make or break a track.

• @msimp said:
    How are you using it? On your master channel? That certainly would affect your entire mix. Lo-Fly of course can be used on tracks individually.

>

This is precisely the problem, sir. Lo-Fly vinyl when assigned to an individual track as an AU effect under Auria Pro cannot be turned off, and affects the entire mix.

All other settings under the same setup work as expected, ending when the track concerned ends.