Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

Comments

• @dvlmusic said:
    I think that portamento is a global effect. Once you switch it off it stays off no matter what preset you choose...

But once you close the app and relaunch, it's always on by default even after you turn it off.

• @yowza Ok, I see what you're saying. The Portmenteau is "On", but for me the time is 0 so I'm not hearing any actual glide.

• Sorry, but can I confirm...
    Can this app be used to send patches to Volca FM and DX7 iid?
    I recall some people saying they were not having success sending to the Volca, but what about the DX7?

Thanks

• @dvlmusic that’s a quick fix! I set the time to zero also. Thanks!

• The velocity slider is a nice addition :)

• Is there a randomize on this ?

• @Samplemunch said:
    Is there a randomize on this ?

Yeah - upload and unpack thousands of DX patches from the net and open in Dixie. Results are extremely random from incredibly good to absolutely weird but so much fun :)

• @Trueyorky said:

@Samplemunch said:

Yeah - upload and unpack thousands of DX patches from the net and open in Dixie. Results are extremely random from incredibly good to absolutely weird but so much fun :)

Dixie should be considered an iOS essential. It’s quite a treasure!

• edited January 2018

@Trueyorky said:

@Samplemunch said:

Christ, don’t give @dendy another one to delete. He’ll (She’ll?) be left with just the fart apps at this rate.

• @Trueyorky said:

@Samplemunch said:

So no then ?

• No random

• @Samplemunch said:
    So no then ?

There is no randomize feature (yet). Randomization is much more complex with FM than how it works on an analog synth app (like Magellan or the VirSyn apps). If you did completely random numbers for all the different parameters, maybe 90-95% you would end up with an unusable screeching or digitized noise. Actually, Patch Base has a random patch generator, IIRC, but it does come up with nonsense a lot of the time.

I don't use Dexed much, but that one might have a randomize features. There is an web-based (free) app called Synthmata that just added a randomize feature that works pretty well:

https://synthmata.com/

You basically mess with a bunch of sliders about how "bright", "wobbly", etc. you want the sound to be, and the program figures out how to generate a musical patch based on those factors. The problem is that he built it with the Volca FM in mind, so it only exports in some .sysex file format, as opposed to the .syx format actually used by the DX7 and read by Dixie FM.

• Could someone please post a list of all the available links to download presets that work? Would be much appreciated.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Could someone please post a list of all the available links to download presets that work? Would be much appreciated.

Sorry don't have time to do that right now but if you go back to the first page or two of this thread they are there.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dx7+sysex+patches

• Sweet, will do. Would be so nice perhaps to get single list. Are those the same that Doug provided on his YT video?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Sweet, will do. Would be so nice perhaps to get single list. Are those the same that Doug provided on his YT video?

Probably, from memory I think @Littlewoodg posted some useful links but could be wrong.

• edited January 2018

@Trueyorky said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Sweet, will do. Would be so nice perhaps to get single list. Are those the same that Doug provided on his YT video?

Probably, from memory I think @Littlewoodg posted some useful links but could be wrong.

The links I’ve got are at the very top of the thread...4-5 working links, there’s one, then a clump, then one more as you scroll that first page

• edited January 2018

@TheVimFuego said:
    Christ, don’t give @dendy another one to delete. He’ll (She’ll?) be left with just the fart apps at this rate.

Do you have any problem with me ? You starting to be boring with those personal attacks ..

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@MusicMan4Christ said:

List, schmist.
    Any one of those links will keep you busy for the next year.

• @wim said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

List, schmist.
    Any one of those links will keep you busy for the next year.

This.

• @RyoutaKira Hi. Is there a chance you could enable a setting to filter out the built in CCs for the Audio unit?
    It's nice to have built in ones but I'm finding they are picking up unwanted CC signals and disabling volume etc so being able to filter these would be great :)

• wimwim
    edited February 2018

@Carnbot said:
    @RyoutaKira Hi. Is there a chance you could enable a setting to filter out the built in CCs for the Audio unit?
    It's nice to have built in ones but I'm finding they are picking up unwanted CC signals and disabling volume etc so being able to filter these would be great :)

Isn't that better done on the host using good midi routing? Otherwise, every plugin would need these kinds of filters. Generally I try to make my routing (source, destination, and channel) as specific as possible to avoid such things. Which host(s) are you using?

• Help please...
    How do I save a sound I have edited.

For example, I downloaded some of those zip files, opened up a bank, and selected a single patch. Lets call is PatchA.

I made some tweaks to PatchA, and now want to save it to my own presets or anywhere really, so I can use it in the future? How do I save it is MyPatchA somehwere for future recall?

I tried following the steps listed a few pages back, but it wouldn’t work for me. It seemed to save the whole bank, not the patch, and the edits I had made didn’t save with the bank.

Any videos or tutorials out there, or is this not how this app works?

Thanks.

• @wim said:

@Carnbot said:
    @RyoutaKira Hi. Is there a chance you could enable a setting to filter out the built in CCs for the Audio unit?

Isn't that better done on the host using good midi routing? Otherwise, every plugin would need these kinds of filters. Generally I try to make my routing (source, destination, and channel) as specific as possible to avoid such things. Which host(s) are you using?

I'm hosting in AUM.
    No huge problem just would be nice if you could ignore the built in mappings since you can do your own in AUM :)

• @rs2000 said:

@Samu said:

@Carnbot said:
    There's a little bit more body and top end bite in the hardware as you'd expect but it's a nice recreation.

And that's most likely due to the DAC & Sine-Tables used on the original?

Are we comparing the iPad's 'headphone output'(with or without measurement mode being on) or thru a dedicated audio-interface. These parameters alone affect the end result of the comparison.

Not sure about this. The proprietary DX7 chipset from the 80s has often been modeled "purely mathematically" which does not reflect exactly enough what the Yamaha chips effectively did, resulting in audible differences unrelated to the DX7 DAC circuitry. One of the better emulations are done in this open source synth that can be found on github: asb2m10/dexed
    Dunno what emulation was chosen by Mr. Kira.

It would be interesting to know if it is floating or integer based and the method used to model it, which model was used to fine tune the settings etc.

• edited February 2018

@dendy said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Do you have any problem with me ? You starting to be boring with those personal attacks ..

I’ll stop now, I found it amusing at the time. Agreed, the “joke” had long passed it’s sell by date. :/

• Great update landed - it looks so cute on my iPhone 5C and STILL sounds awesome

• wimwim
    edited February 2018

Ha! I feel like a dummy. All this time and I just discovered you can shape the envelopes by dragging the points around rather than by adjusting each number. Nice!

Thought I'd post for the benefit of any other interfacially challenged schleps there may be out there. B)

• @wim said:
    Ha! I feel like a dummy. All this time and I just discovered you can shape the envelopes by dragging the points around rather than by adjusting each number. Nice!

Thought I'd post for the benefit of any other interfacially challenged schleps there may be out there. B)

Do you know how many times I tried to do that and it never worked?! But now I see you have to put your finger in juuuust the right place.