Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Visiting girl world

Would some of you please list some of the girl musicians and songwriters that you listen to?

I have various ways of discovering artists who I’ve never heard before, but over time those sources tend to get repetitive so it gets tougher and tougher to keep discovering people. Plus I think that people here will give me completely different perspectives.

New music and old music are both fine to list. If I’ve never heard someone before then they are still new to me even if they’re old.

I’ll start with Annette Peacock. It’s possible that many of you have heard her or heard of her, but she isn’t all that well known. The song that I’ve picked has nothing to do with synthesizers, but earlier in her career she was a synthesizer pioneer. Moog gave her one of his prototypes to use in her experiments. She said that it was a beast to haul around. She also said that it looked like an airplane cockpit.

This is a later-on song from her 1978 album titled X Dreams. The song isn’t X rated - probably an R if songs were ever rated. It gets into creepy territory at times, and it must have been way ahead of its time so it’s relevant to recent news from 2017. Mick Ronson gets panned to one channel. Chris Spedding gets panned to the other. Bill Bruford is on drums.

Any other girls you can list is appreciated, with or without YT links.

Comments

• Exciting! Where do I start. Sooo many that I’m actually stumped. The first random one that comes to mind is Blue Roses. Amazing songwriter. Came and went unfortunately. Here’s a live version of my favorite song by her:

https://youtu.be/AWZ5odiZswE

Fair warning I’m probably going to be all over this thread. :#

• Hey DCJ. Anyone can start anywhere. Thanks for the Blue Roses.

Here’s one that isn’t obscure, but many people here might not ever encounter it because Shelby Lynne tends to get labelled as country, even though that’s not exactly accurate. This is way better than popular country stuff.

This song might even get labelled as gay country, which would probably be a rare genre in modern music. I don’t know if she’s exactly gay. The song gets into some of that.

It’s a great live-in-the-studio radio recording that rocks. Ben Peeler is the sitting-down guitar guy and Eli Wulfmeier is the standing-up guitar guy. They do an extended alternating-then-twin solo. I don't know the other people, other than Shelby of course. I should know them, but I don’t.

• Obvious ones only probably, but huge because they were and are huge as far as their casting shadow at some point on me: Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, Joan Armatrading, Edith Piaf, Ute Lemper, Nina Simone, Aimee Mann, Holly Cole, Patsy Cline, Billie Holiday, Siouxie Sioux (for Through the Looking Glass if nothing else, songs from which I still listen to on a weekly basis), Victoria Williams, Linda Thomson, Patti Smith, Lena Horne, Tina Weymouth, Kirsty MacColl, Regina Spektor, Ani Di Franco, Juliana Hatfield, Bonnie Raitt, Edie Brickell, pretty fascinated with Mistinguett as well, but more for other reasons. Did I mention Patti Smith? Actually this is ridiculous. I didn't even mention Emmylou and she has my favorite pipes on the planet. It's endless. Too many. Must stop. Mahalia Jackson.

• I love Meg Baird in all of her versions.

She was part of Espers on their great albums.

Her solo albums seem like British folk even though she’s American.

She’s also the drummer for Heron Oblivion. She’s not a great drummer. She did write the songs, or co-write them, and the songs are amazing.

• edited January 2018

I have loved that Peacock album ever since a prog friend turned me on to it as a teen. As I told him, " Man, this sounds a lot cooler than most of the stuff you play!"

• This song might be too soft for guys. I try to consider the audience, but since girls are free to rock out to the hardest rock from the dude-iest dudes, it might be a good idea for guys to listen to quiet stuff every once in a while.

It’s the other extreme of Meg Baird. It’s a beautiful song if a listener can catch a ride with the mood. It was one of my favorite songs from a dreamy summer a few years back when I didn’t do any work other than music.

• Espers! I forgot about them. I listened to that first album on repeat when it came out. I remember going back and forth between that and Joanna Newsom’s Milk-Eyed Mender for months. Had no idea Meg Baird went solo.

• For newer, more electronic stuff, I find CDM to be a good semi-regular source of female artists I've never heard of.

For the older-is-ok list...

We've been on a Lucinda Williams kick at home lately. Young Marble Giants, Liliput, Sleater-Kinney, anything Kathleen Hanna, Peaches and Nina Simone are also on fairly regular rotation.

All hail Sister Rosetta Tharpe

• @Janie said:
    Hey DCJ. Anyone can start anywhere. Thanks for the Blue Roses.

Here’s one that isn’t obscure, but many people here might not ever encounter it because Shelby Lynne tends to get labelled as country, even though that’s not exactly accurate. This is way better than popular country stuff.

This song might even get labelled as gay country, which would probably be a rare genre in modern music. I don’t know if she’s exactly gay. The song gets into some of that.

It’s a great live-in-the-studio radio recording that rocks. Ben Peeler is the sitting-down guitar guy and Eli Wulfmeier is the standing-up guitar guy. They do an extended alternating-then-twin solo. I don't know the other people, other than Shelby of course. I should know them, but I don’t.

Oh wow I lost track of Shelby Lynne after Identity Crisis. She was definitely country in my book but I dug it. Modern country is hit or miss for me but there’s still plenty of gold.

• This will be my last one today. I don’t mind adding a bunch more later if other people don’t mind.

Here’s an all-girl group. When you go to Austin you can check out Antone’s Record Shop and maybe you’ll see Eve Monsees there. She’s one of the owners of Antone’s. She started playing the club as a teenager.

This band is one of the tightest female bands in the world right now.

She’s the skinnier of the two guitar players in the song, stage left, right screen. They don’t get out of Austin much, partly because musicians can stay busy without even leaving town.

• Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside for a modern Wanda Jackson:
    https://youtu.be/70bx8NBC4Nk

Res for the most underrated of the neo-soul movement:
    https://youtu.be/t9OhXkis_rU

• edited January 2018

Great stuff all around. I haven’t been able to get enough Alabama Shakes for the past several years.

• Thanks folks. I've already seen some completely new-to-me suggestions here, which is what I was hoping for.

• Anja Garbarek from '96. Balloon Mood is such a unique album.

• And that has reminded me of Riz Maslen and her various aliases from the late 90's also. https://www.discogs.com/artist/5091-Neotropic

• Beach House pretty much rules everything ever.

• Lady_App_titude. Brilliant!

• A bit more up to date with Jlin.

• (And hopefully this thread has space for an artist who self identifies as transgender)

Octo Octa

• edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Last one from me tonight. One of the stand out electronica releases from 2017 for me was by Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith:

• I'm digging this Alice Merton song. I thought it was St. Vincent when I first heard it.

• Judee Sill. She's kind of the female Brian Wilson.

• edited January 2018

@Max23 Funnily enough Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith did a release with Suzanne Ciani the year before as well.

• edited January 2018

Gillian Welch:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Check out the late Sharon Jones if you don't know. <3

• The user and all related content has been deleted.