Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cannabis: Help or hindrance?

edited October 2022 in Other

I have recently quit smoking and after an initial phase of bad sleep, low appetite, dulled emotions and lack of desire to make noises which had me fearing that my creative urges would never fully return to 'normal', I have been pleasantly surprised to find that over the past few days I am getting a lot done.

You can probably guess from the above text that my relationship with the plant has been a long term one, although I don't really regret it too much apart from financially and it definitely made me more introverted after a smoke. I didn't stop for health reasons, just couldn't justify the expense anymore.

I have been going through hundreds of ideas and sketches since stopping, most of them were 4am noodlings that I don't remember making! Luckily many apps have automatically saved this stuff and I am looking forward to expanding some of these weird ideas, many are terrible but the ones that aren't I'm not sure if I would have made them with a clear head.

Very curious to hear about others opinions and experiences on this subject...

Comments

• I found THC could be either at different times. Currently only using CBD oil for pain and inflammation. Works fantastic. Doubt I will bother with THC again.

• All of my genius was in morphine. Or so I thought. I don't know if my ideas are perhaps a little less stratospheric than they once were, but I can actually understand them now mostly. And remember them too :)

• It's the change that's refreshing, whether it's from on to off, or from off to on.

• @AudioGus Thanks for your reply, hope your health issues will fade. I do have the feeling that the plant is a wonderful medicine and has minimal negative impact for the majority of recreational users, especially when compared to some legal and respected drugs.

I just can't seem take it or leave it, I think we humans all have an addiction of some sort.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    It's the change that's refreshing, whether it's from on to off, or from off to on.

Strangely enough I was so used to being in a haze that clarity feels like a bit of a high at the moment. Seems like there is a lot of time in a day compared to before.

I am a little bit jealous of the many that can occasionally use as desired, but I did get BM3 for free earlier so it's swings and roundabouts :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    All of my genius was in morphine. Or so I thought. I don't know if my ideas are perhaps a little less stratospheric than they once were, but I can actually understand them now mostly. And remember them too :)

According to my girlfriend who has been on and off almost every pain/sleep/anxiety medicine ever created for the past decade, coming off morphine was among the very very worst. Congratulations for getting through that one!

• I used to do a lot of it when I was young. And I’d sit and noodle for hours. Not get anything completed, just sit and noodle. Noodling is fun, and can lead to good things, but it didn’t. I didn’t have a simple way to record and develop ideas, and most of what I did come up with sounded like ... aimless noodling. So I don’t go for seeing any improvement from it.

I’m having a dry January. Not only have I lost six pounds, but because I’m not having a couple of drinks in the evenings, I seem to have a lot more energy in the evenings, and during the day. And I feel like making music. And I’m working at it, so, it’s very good.

• I love listening to music after a little sativa. And listening to my own stuff I can avoid being too critical. It kind of takes me out of that state of mind. I can really get into it.

However, I find it very frustrating and almost imposible to resolve technical problems while high but have a good time making sounds when I get lucky. Getting into a groove seems easier too. Ive been off it for the last few mnths cos Im abroad and only slightly miss it.

• I bet your dreams are through the roof!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    All of my genius was in morphine. Or so I thought. I don't know if my ideas are perhaps a little less stratospheric than they once were, but I can actually understand them now mostly. And remember them too :)

According to my girlfriend who has been on and off almost every pain/sleep/anxiety medicine ever created for the past decade, coming off morphine was among the very very worst. Congratulations for getting through that one!

It was unpleasant and long-winded, but, in the grand scheme of damage done, alcohol probably caused me to waste more love and life than morphine ever did. Would not recommend the journey, but it's true that I have a lot of old maps to look at now and write miserable songs about (which I enjoy :) )....

• edited January 2018

@rickwaugh said:
    I used to do a lot of it when I was young. And I’d sit and noodle for hours. Not get anything completed, just sit and noodle. Noodling is fun, and can lead to good things, but it didn’t. I didn’t have a simple way to record and develop ideas, and most of what I did come up with sounded like ... aimless noodling. So I don’t go for seeing any improvement from it.

I’m having a dry January. Not only have I lost six pounds, but because I’m not having a couple of drinks in the evenings, I seem to have a lot more energy in the evenings, and during the day. And I feel like making music. And I’m working at it, so, it’s very good.

I think this kind of reply was exactly what I was hoping to get when starting the discussion.
    Thank you very much!

• @Crawlingwind said:
    I bet your dreams are through the roof!

Only 2 so far, must admit they were quite intese!

• When I did smoke, I would play guitar for hours at a time. Me and my college roommate wrote quite a few songs in a short amount of time. I had even more instrumental stuff wrote and could play almost every Dave Mathews song. I could transition between songs like a champ, especially when I was super stoned. I could foresee the next song and formulate a plan of getting there without even thinking about it.

It could have been the fact that I played a lot more guitar than I do know. Or it could be that being stoned allowed me to get out of my own way and just be free in the moment. I am an over thinker, in constant deep thought.

So in conclusion, I didn't have any synths or ways to record anything. Just my acoustic guitar and I was really productive in playing and writing music when stoned. Given my current setup, not sure if I would be more productive now if I did smoke. Maybe they will legalize it, recreational, in Georgia one day and I will dabble with it again and see.

• I do a thing where basically for a few weeks out of the year, sometimes back to back, sometimes spread out, I just become a total pothead and smoke every night doing music stuff. First, I don’t think I would have learned what I know about mixing and sound design without it. It just reveals so many things about sound itself and luckily I’ve been able to carry that over to sober sessions. Mixing high is almost a spiritual thing for me. As for the composing, it’s kind of 50/50 and like others have said it’s extremely fun and relaxing to noodle tons of ideas and sometimes they’re absolutely great and other times you realize you were hearing melodies that weren’t even there.

But overall, I try to keep it moderate cause you just get tired after a while. But it’s been one part of my musical experience from the beginning.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @AudioGus Thanks for your reply, hope your health issues will fade. I do have the feeling that the plant is a wonderful medicine and has minimal negative impact for the majority of recreational users, especially when compared to some legal and respected drugs.

I just can't seem take it or leave it, I think we humans all have an addiction of some sort.

Thanks BlueGreenSpiral, I am probably just in the ‘manage it until the final curtain’ camp but its OK, many are a lot worse off.

I do know what you mean about the draw of the bud. So many times it just sucked me in and I completely lost myself often feeling like a totaly obsessed idiot by the end of a run and just throwing it all out in disgust with myself.. Blech. Probably did that about a half dozen times in my life. Had I just had such easy access to CBD at the store back in the day, like I do today, I may have saved myself various problems and mistakes, live and learn heh.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

It was unpleasant and long-winded, but, in the grand scheme of damage done, alcohol probably caused me to waste more love and life than morphine ever did. Would not recommend the journey, but it's true that I have a lot of old maps to look at now and write miserable songs about (which I enjoy :) )....

I like this way of looking at these things as character building and learning experiences rather than spending time on regret. I was guilty of that (regret) during the first week or so until I started to get some clarity back and my first few decent sleeps.

• I pretty much had to choose between death or sobriety. Marijuana was the safest drug I was addicted to and it's the only drug that I really miss.

Nobody so far has mentioned syncopation, which is one the things that I loved about playing music while smoking weed. Everything else I can still come up on my own without being stoned. Being stoned let me live within the beat, so that's what I miss most.

On the subject of dreams, there's a dirt-cheap, legal, and non-intoxicating drug called propranolol that causes extremely vivid dreams as a side effect.

The doctor that gave it to me said he had to quit taking it because he couldn't handle the dreams that he had while on propranolol. I'm not on it now. It was part of my recovery process because I t had anti-anxiety effects.

I loved the crazy dreams when I was on it. I looked forward to going to sleep because I knew that I was going to have the craziest imaginable forms of entertainment that I had ever experienced. The dreams were massively bizarre. It was awesome.

• @gmslayton said:
    I am an over thinker

I definitely fall into this category, I will need to pick up some new hobbies to help with this!

About what you wrote on the enhanced creativity, I would often get the same after a small break from smoking but for me personally after 2 or 3 days it became routine again.

• @AudioGus said:

live and learn

Seems to be the way things work!

• @gmslayton said:
    When I did smoke, I would play guitar for hours at a time. Me and my college roommate wrote quite a few songs in a short amount of time. I had even more instrumental stuff wrote and could play almost every Dave Mathews song. I could transition between songs like a champ, especially when I was super stoned. I could foresee the next song and formulate a plan of getting there without even thinking about it.

It could have been the fact that I played a lot more guitar than I do know. Or it could be that being stoned allowed me to get out of my own way and just be free in the moment. I am an over thinker, in constant deep thought.

So in conclusion, I didn't have any synths or ways to record anything. Just my acoustic guitar and I was really productive in playing and writing music when stoned. Given my current setup, not sure if I would be more productive now if I did smoke. Maybe they will legalize it, recreational, in Georgia one day and I will dabble with it again and see.

It is going to be legal here for recreational use in a few months. I dont care to use it again but am quite happy about the win for human rights and the increased medical access for people.

As for the creative side I found the day after a cosmic bike ride was truly inspired and did unlock a lot of potential for me. Now I just have too many problems and my mind would cave in on itself.

• @db909 You seem to have found a good balance, I do agree that the plant can be a great teacher. I may have learned all my lessons by this stage :)

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @db909 You seem to have found a good balance, I do agree that the plant can be a great teacher. I may have learned all my lessons by this stage :)

Peyote time? ;)

• @AudioGus said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @db909 You seem to have found a good balance, I do agree that the plant can be a great teacher. I may have learned all my lessons by this stage :)

Peyote time? ;)

My favourite substance is MDMA, although I keep it for special occasions. Has been about 2 years so might be time for a silly weekend when the sun shows up.

I would like to try a proper ayahuasca ceremony at some point when I am more grounded.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Crawlingwind said:
    I bet your dreams are through the roof!

Only 2 so far, must admit they were quite intese!

Why is that? I took a break several years ago but just recently picked it up again. When off it I had crazy vivid dreams. Scares me to go thru that again! Off to the dispensery!

• @sbcfx I went ten years without a single dream. I'm not sure if it prevents dreams or blocks the memory of having them. I also lived in the Netherlands for ten years :)

• I've never had issues with remembering stuff once I'm sober. Then again I'm one of those people that can not touch it for months then smoke like a stoner some weekends. Atleast for me getting Mary Jane is a lot cheaper than booze. So I quit drinking alcohol completely and just occasionally dabble with the herb.

It's a lot better for me financially ironically enough.... I dream pretty much every single time I sleep. Even if it's for 15 mins. So at least for me it never blocked dreams at all. And it kind of focuses me to work on technical stuff.

Like I actually diagnosed and fixed my corrupt installation of windows 10 while completely high last night XD. Never have the patience for wasting hrs troubleshooting when I'm completely sober.

• @Janie said:
    I pretty much had to choose between death or sobriety. Marijuana was the safest drug I was addicted to and it's the only drug that I really miss.

Nobody so far has mentioned syncopation, which is one the things that I loved about playing music while smoking weed. Everything else I can still come up on my own without being stoned. Being stoned let me live within the beat, so that's what I miss most.

I don't know you but I'm glad you made that choice and stuck with it!

What you said about syncopation seems similar to the weird sketches I have been finding. I have no idea what I was thinking or what if any effects I used on most but I don't think they would exist if I hadn't smoked it up all day beforehand...

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I've never had issues with remembering stuff once I'm sober. Then again I'm one of those people that can not touch it for months then smoke like a stoner some weekends. Atleast for me getting Mary Jane is a lot cheaper than booze. So I quit drinking alcohol completely and just occasionally dabble with the herb.

It's a lot better for me financially ironically enough.... I dream pretty much every single time I sleep. Even if it's for 15 mins. So at least for me it never blocked dreams at all. And it kind of focuses me to work on technical stuff.

Like I actually diagnosed and fixed my corrupt installation of windows 10 while completely high last night XD. Never have the patience for wasting hrs troubleshooting when I'm completely sober.

I also enjoyed technical stuff while high, setting up all kinds of sends sending to other sends feeding back on each other with a limiter on the master for safety in Ableton. Then send a short sound into the chain and see what comes out the other side.

I'm possibly the opposite of your situation, I worked as a chef in a bar and we got 2 or 3 free drinks after work as standard. Being Irish I was raised never to turn down a free drink but never once have I had the slightest urge for alcohol and I worked there for almost 7 years. Strange that the same substances often have very different effects on people.

My apologies if you didn't develop a taste for drinking, I wasn't sure from your post if that was the case and it's 5am so I should probably go into dreamland and see what happens!

Honestly I was expecting a bit of a backlash in this thread, there is a bit of a "weed cures everything" culture on some internet places and I was hesitant to bring it up.

Many thanks to everyone who has joined in the conversation so far!

• I'm the oppposite of most people, THC makes me incredibly focused and I actually get stuff done. I've struggled with ADHD over the years, and it really helps me focus on what I'm doing without getting distracted by stuff that doesn't matter. That endless mental loop as it were.

Living in Seattle where it's legal now is definitely nice, I can just walk down to the store on the corner and pick out what I want knowing it's been tested. Fairly cheap too, at least compared to craft beer which is also big here. :smile: I vape so I could care less about large nugs, which means I can get 1/2oz shake bags of great herb for something like $40. Crazy.

But like with anything, it's about being aware of how it affects you. I know many people who just sit and are lazy and do nothing but noodle when they smoke up. I'd not be interested in it if that was the situation for me.

• I can be pretty focused on it but the problem with me is I tend to overdo it. I have a pretty addicting personality, I will do too much of anything lol. Sometimes I can put a song together and everything just fits. Other times, I blink hours go buy and all my food is gone from my fridge lol. I’m on a two month break and I feel pretty productive but its nice to have every now and them to ease the mind.