Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic 10.4 incorporates Music Memos tempo shifting

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207735

And a bunch of other things, such as redesigned space designer, Vintage EQs, FX modules, 2 new drummers, and more.

Comments

• Yikes. Me likes

• Me too! Really awesome stuff going on here...

And then I looked at the complete release notes:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Whoa!

Ironically, I did not see the new Flex and Flow Sound Library stuff from GB iOS this week, but I think I can overlook that.

• I did a fresh format of my laptop about eight weeks ago and only installed Reason, with plans of installing Live 10 on release but no plans to reinstall Logic EVER. I’ve been telling anyone that will listen about how ditching Logic has “renewed my zeal for making music” and how LPX “somehow sucked the joy out of writing music” and how “I know it’s a great program but it just doesn’t make me FEEL anything” and “The interfaces, plugins, and overall workflow are just too inconsistent for me to keep track of.”

Turns out that was all nonsense. I’m itching to get out of work and check it out.

• Logic now supports the Audio Random Access (ARA) standard.

• @TheoryNotes said:
    Me too! Really awesome stuff going on here...

And then I looked at the complete release notes:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Whoa!

Ironically, I did not see the new Flex and Flow Sound Library stuff from GB iOS this week, but I think I can overlook that.

Argggh I was trying to wean myself off of the desktop. But no way, this is too delicious

• edited January 2018

Not a Logic user, but love this:

“Other Enhancements
    You can now undo mixer and plug-in actions.”

hashtag: LittleThings

• Apple has updated their main website Logic pages now with samples of the new features:

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/plugins-and-sounds/

Everything that shows "NEW" next to it is from this update.

• @jrjulius said:
    I did a fresh format of my laptop about eight weeks ago and only installed Reason, with plans of installing Live 10 on release but no plans to reinstall Logic EVER. I’ve been telling anyone that will listen about how ditching Logic has “renewed my zeal for making music” and how LPX “somehow sucked the joy out of writing music” and how “I know it’s a great program but it just doesn’t make me FEEL anything” and “The interfaces, plugins, and overall workflow are just too inconsistent for me to keep track of.”

Turns out that was all nonsense. I’m itching to get out of work and check it out.

I had that feeling for a long time until I acclimated myself to using music memos and garageband on the ipad as sketchpads to feed into Logic. Now I can do better in Logic than before by the Logic Remote, plugged in directly to the macbook to avoid wifi latency, only because I have gotten deeper into those other ipad apps.

I've kind of adapted to it now even though I've had a family tragedy recently and am too heartsick to make any music at all, and its likely to linger for quite awhile.

I am happy to have this update today just to lift my spirits a little bit, even though emotionally I just can't make music right now.

• Awesome!
    Looks like some stuff from the good old Camel Audio team in new dress.
    I see influences from Camel Phat and Space here.
    In general a fantastic update. Logic is just the king of DAW‘s.

• The step fx looks fun

• I knew this day would come but still wasn't prepared, went through the release notes, got excited, my legs waggled, moseyed over to the app store couldn't see the update, looked on the product page, minimum os 10.12, god damn. Going to have spend the weekend seeing if any of my plugs and apps don't work with 10.12, especially kore 2, as I'm not ready to let it go, but this does look like a fantastic update.

• @mister_rz said:
    I knew this day would come but still wasn't prepared, went through the release notes, got excited, my legs waggled, moseyed over to the app store couldn't see the update, looked on the product page, minimum os 10.12, god damn. Going to have spend the weekend seeing if any of my plugs and apps don't work with 10.12, especially kore 2, as I'm not ready to let it go, but this does look like a fantastic update.

If it’s worth anything, I haven’t had a single plugin conflict making the jump. Though I don’t use Kore. NI probably has some info on their site about compatibility. It’s worth the update IMO. Logic is getting better and better, and it’s running a lot more efficiently these days.

• @brice said:

@mister_rz said:
    I knew this day would come but still wasn't prepared, went through the release notes, got excited, my legs waggled, moseyed over to the app store couldn't see the update, looked on the product page, minimum os 10.12, god damn. Going to have spend the weekend seeing if any of my plugs and apps don't work with 10.12, especially kore 2, as I'm not ready to let it go, but this does look like a fantastic update.

If it’s worth anything, I haven’t had a single plugin conflict making the jump. Though I don’t use Kore. NI probably has some info on their site about compatibility. It’s worth the update IMO. Logic is getting better and better, and it’s running a lot more efficiently these days.

I'm going to head to the NI forum now and double check with kore compatibility, downloaded 10.12 just before it disappeared from the store, glad to hear you've had no problems tho, feeling more confident to make the jump.

• @mister_rz said:

@brice said:

@mister_rz said:

I'm going to head to the NI forum now and double check with kore compatibility, downloaded 10.12 just before it disappeared from the store, glad to hear you've had no problems tho, feeling more confident to make the jump.

Note, I did make a clone of my systems before I updated them. And even though it’s been smooth up until now, that peace of mind is still in the back of my head. Would definitely suggest doing the same, it’s a pretty substantial “shifting around” of things inside the machine!

• @brice said:

@mister_rz said:

@brice said:

@mister_rz said:

Note, I did make a clone of my systems before I updated them. And even though it’s been smooth up until now, that peace of mind is still in the back of my head. Would definitely suggest doing the same, it’s a pretty substantial “shifting around” of things inside the machine!

I was just going to make a time machine back up, but a clone would definitely be better, just incase, still got an old copy of ccc that I'll dust off. Have to disable sip to get kore to work, small sacrifice to keep it going, updating to 10.12 will give me about a year of logic updates, going to leave this laptop on sierra. Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

• @mister_rz said:

@brice said:

@mister_rz said:

@brice said:

@mister_rz said:

I was just going to make a time machine back up, but a clone would definitely be better, just incase, still got an old copy of ccc that I'll dust off. Have to disable sip to get kore to work, small sacrifice to keep it going, updating to 10.12 will give me about a year of logic updates, going to leave this laptop on sierra. Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

No worries. This Logic update is one of the more exciting ones I’m finding.

• So, I've scoured through this now and have noticed that the Beat Sequencer kits have still not yet made it over, as well as some kits from the other GB iOS sound library packs, such as Dembow from Gozadera Latina, Infinity from Edges and Angles, as well as the new Flex and Flow kits.

So, surprisingly this isn't compatible yet for bringing projects which use those sounds from GB iOS to Logic.

Maybe those sounds will be added to the eventual GB mac update which would have to likely be somewhere around the corner, but I wouldn't expect until March or so if history is any guide.

• @TheoryNotes said:
    So, I've scoured through this now and have noticed that the Beat Sequencer kits have still not yet made it over, as well as some kits from the other GB iOS sound library packs, such as Dembow from Gozadera Latina, Infinity from Edges and Angles, as well as the new Flex and Flow kits.

So, surprisingly this isn't compatible yet for bringing projects which use those sounds from GB iOS to Logic.

Maybe those sounds will be added to the eventual GB mac update which would have to likely be somewhere around the corner, but I wouldn't expect until March or so if history is any guide.

Thanks for investigating this.

• @realdavidai said:

Thanks for investigating this.

You are welcome.

And I just found some more differences!

The new amp patches that we got in GB iOS in the Sound Library as the Tone Collection also haven't made it over.

But the Live Loops of Gozadera Latina and Edges and Angles have made it, as well as the Alchemy patches from those sets, but I'm not certain when those were added, just know that I didn't have them a month and a half ago when I tried to bring some new projects over to logic from GB.

All the traditional instruments seem to have made it in too, and now we can somewhat control articulations in Logic more easily with the smart controls.

• Just post this up, as I went into my purchased tab but couldn't see sierra, just incase the same has happened to any of you, here is a link to sierra on the app store https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

• Some really cool features.
    Studio Strings and Studio Brass - Solo and Ensemble, hope this is actually new samples and not just a new interface.
    Vintage Tube EQ (looks like Pulteq EQ)
    Vintage Console EQ - Is that one emulating Neve?

• That Chroma Space GUI effect looks great but let my fans running and even rattling like hell after a few minutes. Good that you can turn this GUI effect off.
    This new reverb is very nice. Reminds me a bit of the Pro-R. I just like it more.
    Great is that everything can be modulated as well via the midi FX (including all automation parameters).
    Strange that it comes with no presets (beside the algorithm) like the added StepFX and PhatFX.

• @Cib said:
    That Chroma Space GUI effect looks great but let my fans running and even rattling like hell after a few minutes. Good that you can turn this GUI effect off.
    This new reverb is very nice. Reminds me a bit of the Pro-R. I just like it more.
    Great is that everything can be modulated as well via the midi FX (including all automation parameters).
    Strange that it comes with no presets (beside the algorithm) like the added StepFX and PhatFX.

Hah....just spent a fair amount of time with that new reverb with headphones on. Took them off to find my MBP sounding like a 747 climbing altitude. Very cool reverb, but those fancy animations really heat things up.

There are a fair amount of presets for it, but only accessible via the drop down file menu. I noticed this in Spacedesigner as well.

• @teleb said:
    Some really cool features.
    Studio Strings and Studio Brass - Solo and Ensemble, hope this is actually new samples and not just a new interface.
    Vintage Tube EQ (looks like Pulteq EQ)
    Vintage Console EQ - Is that one emulating Neve?

They are new samples....though I didn’t find them all that impressive TBH. There are some nice patches in the brass instrument though. Yes, Vintage Console is a Neve and Vintage Graphic an API.

• edited January 2018

@brice said:

@Cib said:
    That Chroma Space GUI effect looks great but let my fans running and even rattling like hell after a few minutes. Good that you can turn this GUI effect off.

Hah....just spent a fair amount of time with that new reverb with headphones on. Took them off to find my MBP sounding like a 747 climbing altitude. Very cool reverb, but those fancy animations really heat things up.

There are a fair amount of presets for it, but only accessible via the drop down file menu. I noticed this in Spacedesigner as well.

A thing i hate about Logic. I stored all the content on my extern SSD via an Alias and Logic seems to get confused after every update. I wish Apple just let me use "save to" for all the added content.
    I don´t see any specific presets for these FX so i think they might be now included in the standard content which it always want me to download even when i have this stored (and it works) on my extern SSD.
    Ja ja, they want me to buy that 2TB SSD macbook pro. I would but my Mrs. will tell me that we need a new car first.
    I´m a bit worried about that rattling on the left fan i never heard before. It seems the new GUI´s want to be used also with better GPU´s since i don´t have a macbook with a dedicated gpu card.
    But still an awesome update. There is so much stuff. Finally i have Camel Space (and Phat) back since i lost my installer somewhere. Alchemy got a lot added too and the new EQ´s are great as well.
    I think Logic 10.4 now finally has all the mixing and mastering tools which are good (or even better for my usage) as Fabfilter and/or other famous stuff for this.
    The FX, instruments and content are already in a league of it´s own.
    I do wish they update Delay Designer as well.
    Sculpture is still my favorite Logic tool and there is nothing even close to it anywhere else. So i hope they add a new GUI and even more features here too one day.
    The new filters (not all are that new) in the Retro synth are wonderful too.
    But Logic 10.4 for free means maybe again several months or even years with free updates....until one day Logic 11 comes.

• @Cib said:

@brice said:

@Cib said:

A thing i hate about Logic. I stored all the content on my extern SSD via an Alias and Logic seems to get confused after every update. I wish Apple just let me use "save to" for all the added content.
    I don´t see any specific presets for these FX so i think they might be now included in the standard content which it always want me to download even when i have this stored (and it works) on my extern SSD.
    Ja ja, they want me to buy that 2TB SSD macbook pro. I would but my Mrs. will tell me that we need a new car first.
    I´m a bit worried about that rattling on the left fan i never heard before. It seems the new GUI´s want to be used also with better GPU´s since i don´t have a macbook with a dedicated gpu card.
    But still an awesome update. There is so much stuff. Finally i have Camel Space (and Phat) back since i lost my installer somewhere. Alchemy got a lot added too and the new EQ´s are great as well.
    I think Logic 10.4 now finally has all the mixing and mastering tools which are good (or even better for my usage) as Fabfilter and/or other famous stuff for this.
    The FX, instruments and content are already in a league of it´s own.
    I do wish they update Delay Designer as well.
    Sculpture is still my favorite Logic tool and there is nothing even close to it anywhere else. So i hope they add a new GUI and even more features here too one day.
    The new filters (not all are that new) in the Retro synth are wonderful too.
    But Logic 10.4 for free means maybe again several months or even years with free updates....until one day Logic 11 comes.

Have you tried using symbolic links as opposed to aliases for your external content storage? Should mitigate any directory confusion whenever an update wishes to install new library content.

And yeah, there is some great stuff in this one! Alchemy content and the Camel stuff are high up there. The new EQs are good to have on board. Though I made the mistake of doing a comparison between Logic’s Pultec emulation and my UAD Pultec. Ehh, I respect the Logic team’s effort, but good lord it’s nowhere close. But that doesn’t matter when there is so much else to enjoy with this update. Have yet to try the new filters in retro synth but looking forward to it. And +1 for Sculpture ;)

• Looks like the online manual has been updated too. I'm really impressed with this production.

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4/

• @brice said:

They are new samples....though I didn’t find them all that impressive TBH. There are some nice patches in the brass instrument though. Yes, Vintage Console is a Neve and Vintage Graphic an API.

I like the sustain articulation mode on the saxes. The "expressive medium" as default is an odd choice, but maybe useful somewhere.

The interesting thing about them is that both of the new FX, the new Vintage EQs, and the updated direction mixer are built into the patches in different configurations within both the Studio Horns and Studio Strings.

• I definitely love the Chromaverb, but I have to turn off the visualizations.

Tried running a 1024 buffer, but even then it seems to want to turn the corner of my laptop into molten lava.

The sound is amazing though.

• @TheoryNotes said:
    I definitely love the Chromaverb, but I have to turn off the visualizations.

Tried running a 1024 buffer, but even then it seems to want to turn the corner of my laptop into molten lava.

The sound is amazing though.

Yep.....never heard my fans so loud. Even scared it will kill my macbook (the masterplan of Apple >:) ).
    No problem if i turn that shiny GUI effect off. But it really looks too nice to be off :)
    I like the new GUI´s. They just seems to need a proper gpu. At least we have a choice to turn fancy stuff off here.
    The more i play with ChromaVerb i think it is my favorite new addition to Logic 10.4.
    I think it is as good or even better as some of the better payed reverb-plug-ins (still not in a league with my beloved B2, Aether or the new Breeze 2.0).
    The damping and output EQ is great. Some nice algorithms to choose. And it works great and smooth if i modulate parameters as well. This is a great tools for creative sound design.