Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

Comments

• Yeah, thanks for posting the video above. I didn't go through it all but I did see a bit of it and I think it points to the fact there might be something up with the built in keyboard of Dixie since you get a much closer match with the DX7 than in the vid if you use an external Keyboard connected to both. Brilliant app though and I didn't expect it to be as close in sound to the DX7 as it is. :)

• Agreed. I'd like to think that Dixie could benefit universally with somewhat better DX7 emulation (if only because the pads on the original DX7 are so much more lush)... but I'm not a developer or FM synth expert, nor do I play one on TV. :smile: So that may not be true. I certainly wouldn't want the developer(s) of Dixie to spend all their time trying to create the best emulation of the original.

• edited January 2018

@StormJH1 said:
    SUPPORT FOR 32+1 CARTS:
    The update really emphasizes a "32+1" feature, which seems to store the loaded patch in addition to the 32 available in the bank/cart. So, in effect, it's a 33-voice cart instead of 32 voices. However, this results in a sysex file format that external apps or hardware might not able to read. When I exported it to Volca FM Buddy, the 32+1 sysex files would not work, but I was able to save them just as 32-voice banks, and those worked fine.

Hardware DX7 can read "32+1" sysex files. Perhaps hardware Volca FM can.
    With the type the file is simply connected between 32-voices bulk sysex and 1-voice.

• @anickt said:
    I don’t look at Dixie in terms of replicating a DX. More like - look at this library of FM-ish sounds I have access to. It’s a great idea generator and the sound stands on its own.

+1

• @analog_matt said:
    Does this mean I can stop working on the AUv3 version of FM Player now? :D

NO

• Dixie AU full screen coming in Garageband soon :)

• @realdavidai said:
    Dixie AU full screen coming in Garageband soon :)

Full screen update is live...now Dixie respects GB on iPad 12.9. Along with Model 15 and Kauldron.

Personal mission of mine :)

• Another update

Full screen/hide keyboard mode +....

• I just wanted to chime in and say what a joy having this is... Like Doug mentioned in his wonderful-as-ever review, many of us have waited for this for so long. From the mindblowing scope it offers through the lightning-rapid updates to the beautiful creamy minimalistic color schemes available (note to all the brilliant devs here: I for one love those off-white / light cream color schemes available for many apps!), this is so wonderful. Thank you for all the wonderful work.

• Hi @RyoutaKira , thanks for this great synth! I’m really enjoying it and learning a lot. One small feature suggestion: on/off for operators. Unless I’ve missed it, the only way to disable an operator is to set the level to zero. This means for quick trying out of different combinations you need to remember the last used value(s). I think the hardware had the ability to switch ops off and back on. Just a thought.

• @wim said:
    Hi @RyoutaKira , thanks for this great synth! I’m really enjoying it and learning a lot. One small feature suggestion: on/off for operators. Unless I’ve missed it, the only way to disable an operator is to set the level to zero. This means for quick trying out of different combinations you need to remember the last used value(s). I think the hardware had the ability to switch ops off and back on. Just a thought.

+1 for on/off toggles. Really helpful when isolating operator operations :smile:
    +1 on this being a great synth! It layers well with other iOS synths (like Zeeon) and just fits uniquely in the mix.

• This is a good resource for sysex. Certainly lots of repeats as is seen elsewhere.
    There is a lot of good patches here though. The zip files work fine. But the .syx files here when downloaded into KQDixie fail for me.
    I think the .syx files are available in all the zip files.

http://dxsysex.com/

• @Moderndaycompiler said:

@wim said:
    Hi @RyoutaKira , thanks for this great synth! I’m really enjoying it and learning a lot. One small feature suggestion: on/off for operators. Unless I’ve missed it, the only way to disable an operator is to set the level to zero. This means for quick trying out of different combinations you need to remember the last used value(s). I think the hardware had the ability to switch ops off and back on. Just a thought.

+1 for on/off toggles. Really helpful when isolating operator operations :smile:
    +1 on this being a great synth! It layers well with other iOS synths (like Zeeon) and just fits uniquely in the mix.

You can switch operators on and off by clicking on their name (op1, op2...), I seem to remember.

• DCJDCJ
    edited January 2018

@mtyas said:

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@wim said:

You can switch operators on and off by clicking on their name (op1, op2...), I seem to remember.

‘tis true. You remember correctly.

• @mtyas said:

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@wim said:

Thank you! I think I better read the manual...

• @mtyas said:

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@wim said:

Thank you.

• @mtyas said:

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@wim said:

Sweet. Thanks!

• Would it be possible to implement the midi export to DX7 / VOLCA FM?

• Looks like the operator on/off conditions are currently not saved with the patches. Wonderful that they can already be easily switched on and off, though!

• @Bronislavus said:
    Would it be possible to implement the midi export to DX7 / VOLCA FM?

+1

• edited January 2018

Digging this a lot. Congrats to dev on doing a great job with it. Thanks!

• Struggling with how to save an individual user preset to a new slot whilst in AU. Be great if someone could quickly jot out idiot proof steps? Thanks!

• Anyone? Is this not possible? Like just a simple 'create empty bank' and then save to it?

• @Iostress said:
    Anyone? Is this not possible? Like just a simple 'create empty bank' and then save to it?

Alright. Get ready because there are a lot of steps.

1. Click the name of the preset to name it what you want. Click done.
    2. Go the cart.
    3. Select the bank you want to save it to.
    4. Click the name of the preset AGAIN. Make sure it shows the patches of the bank you selected.
    5. Click store. Then select a slot in the bank.
    6. You should still be on the cart page. Click store on the top right.
    7. Touch the bank you just saved the preset to. It will ask you if you want to overwitre the bank. You do.

If you need to create a bank as opposed to saving a patch to one already created, make sure you’re on the cart page, hit store, then hit new. Name the bank and make sure you select AUx and 32 voices.

Hope that makes sense and that I didn’t mess up any steps. :D

• @DCJ said:

@Iostress said:
    Anyone? Is this not possible? Like just a simple 'create empty bank' and then save to it?

Alright. Get ready because there are a lot of steps.

1. Click the name of the preset to name it what you want. Click done.
    2. Go the cart.
    3. Select the bank you want to save it to.
    4. Click the name of the preset AGAIN. Make sure it shows the patches of the bank you selected.
    5. Click store. Then select a slot in the bank.
    6. You should still be on the cart page. Click store on the top right.
    7. Touch the bank you just saved the preset to. It will ask you if you want to overwitre the bank. You do.

If you need to create a bank as opposed to saving a patch to one already created, make sure you’re on the cart page, hit store, then hit new. Name the bank and make sure you select AUx and 32 voices.

Hope that makes sense and that I didn’t mess up any steps. :D

Thanks a lot for writing that out, much appreciatied :) woah, crazy save system! Think I’ve got it now tho from these instructions, will try again :) cheers

• Upon further review I’ve found you can skip step 4 and after you click store in step 5 select a slot on the right side window then overwrite.

Hope that makes sense! No time now to write more.

• @yowza said:
    Upon further review I’ve found you can skip step 4 and after you click store in step 5 select a slot on the right side window then overwrite.

Hope that makes sense! No time now to write more.

Actually, you are correct.

• It probably would sense for the developer to just include a "Create INIT Bank" option or something. But, honestly, once you figure out how to do this stuff once, I find it really easy to work with patches in KQ Dixie. I have a saved sysex bank that's just INIT patches now (you can make your own just by finding a single INIT voice, copying it to 32 slots, and saving). So I'm ready to go whenever I want to start a new favorites bank.

Again, these sounds are great within KQ Dixie itself, but the amp has "accidental value" as a sysex editor/librarian for DX7, Volca FM, or anything else I may use in the future that relies on these patches.

Other than cleaning up the U.I. a bit more, I'm trying to think of what additional changes I'd like to see... I agree with the recommendations to allow KQ Dixie to send out sysex dumps for individual voices that could be read by a Volca FM. Volca FM Buddy does this for free, so I could just skip that app altogether if the capability were added to Dixie.

• @RyoutaKira any chance having the portamento default be off? Or at least have it be part of state-saving so it’s not required to shut it off all the time? Thank you. Really enjoying this app.

• @girlvsworld said:
    @RyoutaKira any chance having the portamento default be off? Or at least have it be part of state-saving so it’s not required to shut it off all the time? Thank you. Really enjoying this app.

I think that portamento is a global effect. Once you switch it off it stays off no matter what preset you choose...