Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What apps do You use with Korg Gadget?

What aps do You use with Korg Gadget? I want to know more Your workflow with KG.

I'm first.
i'm using ChordPolypad for triggering chords, sometimes Funk Drummer for some drums, and also Blocs Wave loops to import into Zurich.
And of course Audioshare for files and AUM for jams :)

Comments

• I am actually in the process of using Gadget for live performances.

I am looking to use each ROW(left to right) per song I am doing with Circuit, Launchpad, Hardware, Other iPad.

Basically I will load 1 of each Gadget or what I think would be best and then just use each row per song.

Song 1. ------- 1st row pick
    Song 2 ----- 2nd row

I am thinking this is a stable approach to the live situation different than I am doing.

I generally use Animoog and Blocs/Launchpad.

I basically always have one "BIG" app.

Gadget BeatHawk Groovebox and then 2 complimentary apps.

That is usually my formula.

• Alchemy - sampled into Vancouver in Gadget
    Layr - sampled into Vancouver in Gadget
    Animoog - sampled into Vancouver in Gadget
    Z3ta - sampled into Vancouver in Gadget

You get the idea. That’s about it these day.

Sometimes Future Drummer midi for drum track ideas.

• edited January 2018

As of lately, I've been loading up parts from IMaschine 2, Garageband, and Beathawk into Abu Dhabi, Zurich or Rosario. Maschine Kits can be exported into Audioshare. I've been loading those kits into Bilbao.

I'm planning to do the same with GrooveRider-16.

I've sampled some amazing pads and stabs into Vancouver using Thor and Sunrizer. I'm planning to do more using Poison-202.

One of my tracks was produced by recording Gadget loops into AUM which were then duplicated and offset and played/mixed live.

Cubasis is my audio DAW of choice for mastering, particularly with the Waves Plugin bundle. Recently I did a 60 minute recording with Cubasis to compile some of my best tracks into one continuous mix.

When I've got tracks without a heavy beat, like an ambient track with natural sounding instruments like this one I'll master it in Final Touch. Final Touch has a great feature for converting low-end frequencies from stereo to mono, while preserving higher frequencies in stereo.

Chordbot if I need an idea for a chord or chord progression.

I've used Modstep once for midi sequencing but I can't say I'm very happy with all aspects of that app, particularly its conception of file management (saving, loading) which is a shame because the sequencer is very innovative.

Of course, Audioshare and Audiobus.

• Great answers. It increases my creativity. Big thanks for

Anyone else?

• The only app that I use with Gadget is Lurssen Mastering Console. Usually I create track with Gadget and export it to Lurssen for mastering. Here’s one of the examples how it could sounds:

• At this point I pretty much only use Gadget to export sounds and midi tracks to Ableton Live (One of its strong suits) for further tweaking with Push 2.
    But one great workflow for live jams for me is to get a funky beat going from some source... :lol: (gotta have that!)
    I then midi map the wobbles of the Miami gadget to my midi controller on one channel, Abu Dhabi slices on another and Bilbao samples on another. Control Gadget in the background, and run Italizer or LiveFX apps on the screen. This is good for Dubstep/Reggae/HipHop like live jams. If you’re into that kinda thing. If you like wobbly bass, definitely consider mapping Miami to a controller! Hope this helps!

• edited January 2018

@Kranick

I would love to use Lurrisen and indeed your track sounds amazing. Pricy however.

For anyone new to mastering I would recommend Final Touch as it's a good educational app that's inexpensive and fairly decent quality.

I didn't enjoy mastering in Cubasis until Waves came out and A few other important improvements that came in recent updates.

Not all Gadget tracks require mastering either. The built in limiter and insert effects can produce a sufficiently good mix most of the time.

• edited January 2018

@LucidMusicInc, the only reason why I use Lurssen is a possibility to use it on iPhone. I like to create music with Gadget on smartphone but I don’t know any other universal app for mastering else Lurssen. So I bought it on sale two years ago and I use it on my every track. Furthermore, I have all FF plug-ins within Auria, but I never use it once I got Lurssen.

Here’s my another track. Gadget/ Lurssen/ LumaFusion :smile:

• @Kranick ah cool ok. My only point I was trying to make was for mastering purposes there are cheaper alternatives, but I can see that on iPhone there might be fewer alternatives.

• The only thing I use with Gadget is my Nanokey Studio. But if I feel like adding other synths (AU in particular), then exporting my audio tracks from Gadget to use in Cubasis is very suitable for me.

• When I use Gadget on its own, I usually bounce stems to Auria for the final mixdown/mastering on iPad. On the iPhone, it’s AUM that gets the stems, and since there are no FabFilter IAPs, I use various AU apps and AUM’s internal effects. Some of these AUs include: Fuxeq, FAC Chorus, Maxima (while being less featured than Pro-L, it’s pretty much a sonic match), EOS2 for vocals (best plate reverb), Zero Reverb for everything else (it eats less cpu than EOS2), Pumphouse if I really need the sidechain effect, etc. (Although I still hope somebody makes a universal transient processor AU. It’s better than sidechaining in a mix.)

However, I don’t care much for Gadget’s note input on the phone screen given a lack of handles to manipulate notes with. This is where Xequence and Gadget’s Advanced MIDI Mode come in. :smile:

When on an iPhone, if I want to give my track a quick final polish, I look no further than 6144 and Maxima. 6144 has the ability to quickly dial in the right final touches for a final mix. @FredAntonCorvest created a masterpiece of a brickwall maximizer that, by rights, should not be overlooked in favour of Lurssen. Now if Klevgrand would only make PressIt and Korvpressor universal, and if I can find a universal AU with an RMS meter, I’d be 100%. :)

• edited January 2018

I use Xequence for linear and more complex arrangements, usually with other synths AU or IAA.

I tend to work a lot in audio, making my sounds/loops content in Blocs wave, and playing them live in Lauchpad. AB/AUM allow to record Gadget directly in Blocs wave synced via Link with other apps sound contents, you can add AU fx to make nice loops variations. Blocs wave is not limited on loop length, so it can be pretty long sequence if you want. This fx treatment is the best way to give richer texture and add character to your Gadget sounds. Totally worth it!!

BeatHawk can be the app for sequence all AUM post processed Gadget loops. Just import your sounds on BH pads and sequence them in song mode. You can also use Xequence/BeatHawk if you want to use them with other midi apps or even add new midi Gadget content, and arrange everything in one and only window with Xequence. Or you can use Link to create synced content while playing Gadget with other apps to add new contents from other apps in Zurich, Rosario, Bilbao, Abu Dhabi, Vancouver using AudioShare for files import.

Before mastering, you can exports each track separately and open them in a file player in AUM for fx treatment or mixing. You can even do mixing live sessions with midi controllers, or use Krft/Xequence for record and/or trigger AUM mixer.

I use also Lurrsen on my iPhone, so easy and sounds so great. I use Deemax too for Gadgetcloud or when I want to be quick at finishing a song.

That kind of workflow is nice on iPhone, but works on iPad too. On this one you have Cubasis, Auria and BeatMaker 3 to work with too.

Edit : forgot you can use Navichord, Midiflow Keyboard, ThumbJam, Rozeta and various controller apps to play gadgets. Also, Nanokey/Nanokontrol Studio are very nice hardware controllers for Gadget.

• i’m returning to using Gadget only (and Beathawk as of recent). Was combining it with AUM, MV08, Ruismaker(s), Animoog, Minimapper, Sir Sampleton, Xynthesizer, Aleph looper, Frobulator etc etc, but it became a labyrinth of app-switching instead of creating music.

• edited January 2018

@Markosdee said:
    i’m returning to using Gadget only (and Beathawk as of recent). Was combining it with AUM, MV08, Ruismaker(s), Animoog, Minimapper, Sir Sampleton, Xynthesizer, Aleph looper, Frobulator etc etc, but it became a labyrinth of app-switching instead of creating music.

I quite enjoy the challenge of getting Gadget to sound like other apps I’d otherwise be tempted to use. Eg I might use Dublin with the drive turned up and some interesting routing to get that Model 15 vibe.

Vancouver is obviously a huge leap forward because I can sample stuff in (via Audiobus). Plus you can get it looping a tiny part of the sample and move the start point around and this gives an, all be it basic, granular synth type sound.

I’ve been getting nice stuff going in iDensity and then sampling 10 secs worth into Vancouver - then messing with (automating) which bit of the sample to play. Nice for textures and atmosphere.

I really want my whole track in Gadget so that I can just start it up and it’s all there. No faffing.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Markosdee said:
    i’m returning to using Gadget only (and Beathawk as of recent). Was combining it with AUM, MV08, Ruismaker(s), Animoog, Minimapper, Sir Sampleton, Xynthesizer, Aleph looper, Frobulator etc etc, but it became a labyrinth of app-switching instead of creating music.

I quite enjoy the challenge of getting Gadget to sound like other apps I’d otherwise be tempted to use. Eg I might use Dublin with the drive turned up and some interesting routing to get that Model 15 vibe.

Vancouver is obviously a huge leap forward because I can sample stuff in (via Audiobus). Plus you can get it looping a tiny part of the sample and move the start point around and this gives an, all be it basic, granular synth type sound.

I’ve been getting nice stuff going in iDensity and then sampling 10 secs worth into Vancouver - then messing with (automating) which bit of the sample to play. Nice for textures and atmosphere.

I really want my whole track in Gadget so that I can just start it up and it’s all there. No faffing.

Your last line sums up why Gadget is so great!

• @Halftone said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Markosdee said:

Your last line sums up why Gadget is so great!

That IS appealing. I must say the vast/fast battery drain irks me somewhat. Is this presumed to be a bug of some kind that might be fixed or just something that needs to be accepted for what it is moving forward...?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

That IS appealing. I must say the vast/fast battery drain irks me somewhat. Is this presumed to be a bug of some kind that might be fixed or just something that needs to be accepted for what it is moving forward...?

Seen it mentioned lots - I'm sure korg knows. On my iPad 4 I notice no extra battery drain - can use it for an hour or two with only 10-15% drain... but then I'm not running any of the newer gadgets on it.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    When I use Gadget on its own, I usually bounce stems to Auria for the final mixdown/mastering on iPad. On the iPhone, it’s AUM that gets the stems, and since there are no FabFilter IAPs, I use various AU apps and AUM’s internal effects. Some of these AUs include: Fuxeq, FAC Chorus, Maxima (while being less featured than Pro-L, it’s pretty much a sonic match), EOS2 for vocals (best plate reverb), Zero Reverb for everything else (it eats less cpu than EOS2), Pumphouse if I really need the sidechain effect, etc. (Although I still hope somebody makes a universal transient processor AU. It’s better than sidechaining in a mix.)

However, I don’t care much for Gadget’s note input on the phone screen given a lack of handles to manipulate notes with. This is where Xequence and Gadget’s Advanced MIDI Mode come in. :smile:

When on an iPhone, if I want to give my track a quick final polish, I look no further than 6144 and Maxima. 6144 has the ability to quickly dial in the right final touches for a final mix. @FredAntonCorvest created a masterpiece of a brickwall maximizer that, by rights, should not be overlooked in favour of Lurssen. Now if Klevgrand would only make PressIt and Korvpressor universal, and if I can find a universal AU with an RMS meter, I’d be 100%. :)

This is a very handy inventory of the best effects apps on the ~iPhone~, with a few top performers from other categories.

• Slightly off-topic, on the list of available Gadgets everything below Lisbon is grayed out and not able to be purchased, including Zurich and Rosario. Happening on both my iPads and iPhone.

• @Lt_Core said:
    Slightly off-topic, on the list of available Gadgets everything below Lisbon is grayed out and not able to be purchased, including Zurich and Rosario. Happening on both my iPads and iPhone.

Are you looking at that list from the “change Gadget” option on an existing track? Try it from a new track and it should show them all as available.

• @CracklePot said:

@Lt_Core said:
    Slightly off-topic, on the list of available Gadgets everything below Lisbon is grayed out and not able to be purchased, including Zurich and Rosario. Happening on both my iPads and iPhone.

Are you looking at that list from the “change Gadget” option on an existing track? Try it from a new track and it should show them all as available.

You're right, very strange! Thanks for the tip!

• Not really, if you’ve selected a gadget which will work with midi notes, you can’t change it for one which will work with recorded audio and no midi – especially should you already have some midi data laid into the track, what would it do with that?

• @Markosdee said:

@Scottzilla82 said:
    At this point I pretty much only use Gadget to export sounds and midi tracks to Ableton Live (One of its strong suits) for further tweaking with Push 2.

Same for me. Until Gadget gets MIDI out, I treat it like the island it is designed to be. I am trying to get Stompwatch set up for transport controls, but mostly use Gadget standalone as my composition sketchpad, with the intent to change the instruments to other VSTs or hardware once I export to Ableton. In practice I keep the Gadget sounds more than I don't. If I'm doing serious drum programming I do that in GrooveRider, then export both to Ableton and combine the sessions.

• Fwiw I’ve been using the Octatrack to drive this glorious suite of kit. Here’s one of my latest where the OT is sequencing 8 midi channels

• I’ve got my workflow down to being centered around 2 main apps: Gadget & Beatmaker 3. Since they added audio recording, almost all my projects start using Gadget as my sketch pad. I love the scene mode for looping different drum machines & synths as I lay down rough guitar & bass with Rosario. Very conducive to songwriting. I usually put together rough sections of songs using different scenes before I move into Beatmaker for the majority of the mixing, arrangement, and producing.

Since everything is rough up until this point, I start “recording” from Gadget into Beatmaker. Since Gadget isn’t AU and doesn’t have MIDI out, this is where I get creative. I set up a separate IAA track within BM3 for each corresponding Gadget track, copying the midi between apps. I then set up parallel audio tracks and use BM3’s internal recorder to bounce each Gadget midi track to a corresponding audio track - so I have a midi and audio version of each within Beatmaker. Whichever Gadget instrument I’m currently tweaking the settings on, ill load Gadget as the IAA plugin on its corresponding midi track within BM3 while playing all the other Gadget instrument tracks in their audio form (since Gadget can only be loaded as a single instance via IAA). When I’m happy with the changes, I quickly bounce it to audio overwriting it’s previous iteration. This essentially lets me mix Gadget instruments on separate tracks within Beatmaker in real time and in almost as convenient a fashion as AU.

This could very well be old news but it took me to a while to land on this particular workflow. Considering all Gadget has to offer I find it worth it.

• @JakotaDohnson said:
    I’ve got my workflow down to being centered around 2 main apps: Gadget & Beatmaker 3. Since they added audio recording, almost all my projects start using Gadget as my sketch pad. I love the scene mode for looping different drum machines & synths as I lay down rough guitar & bass with Rosario. Very conducive to songwriting. I usually put together rough sections of songs using different scenes before I move into Beatmaker for the majority of the mixing, arrangement, and producing.

Since everything is rough up until this point, I start “recording” from Gadget into Beatmaker. Since Gadget isn’t AU and doesn’t have MIDI out, this is where I get creative. I set up a separate IAA track within BM3 for each corresponding Gadget track, copying the midi between apps. I then set up parallel audio tracks and use BM3’s internal recorder to bounce each Gadget midi track to a corresponding audio track - so I have a midi and audio version of each within Beatmaker. Whichever Gadget instrument I’m currently tweaking the settings on, ill load Gadget as the IAA plugin on its corresponding midi track within BM3 while playing all the other Gadget instrument tracks in their audio form (since Gadget can only be loaded as a single instance via IAA). When I’m happy with the changes, I quickly bounce it to audio overwriting it’s previous iteration. This essentially lets me mix Gadget instruments on separate tracks within Beatmaker in real time and in almost as convenient a fashion as AU.

This could very well be old news but it took me to a while to land on this particular workflow. Considering all Gadget has to offer I find it worth it.

That is cool. Great explanation of your workflow.
    I was wondering if you ever have issues with hot iPad or fast battery drain when doing a lot of Gadget sessions. I have noticed the heat issue, but battery issue not that bad for me. How about you? Sounds like you push Gadget a lot harder that I usually do.

• edited February 2018

Modstep and/or ChordPolyPad for the occasional inspiration boost.

Sampling Sunrizer into Vancouver quite a bit recently.

Putting IMaschine kits into Bilbao.

Putting parts in either from Beathawk or GarageBand via AudioShare.

Mastering in Cubasis.

• R_2R_2
    edited February 2018

@CracklePot said:

@JakotaDohnson said:
    I’ve got my workflow down to being centered around 2 main apps: Gadget & Beatmaker 3. Since they added audio recording, almost all my projects start using Gadget as my sketch pad. I love the scene mode for looping different drum machines & synths as I lay down rough guitar & bass with Rosario. Very conducive to songwriting. I usually put together rough sections of songs using different scenes before I move into Beatmaker for the majority of the mixing, arrangement, and producing.

That is cool. Great explanation of your workflow.
    I was wondering if you ever have issues with hot iPad or fast battery drain when doing a lot of Gadget sessions. I have noticed the heat issue, but battery issue not that bad for me. How about you? Sounds like you push Gadget a lot harder that I usually do.

Gadget doesn’t have to be pushed hard to heat up the cpu/drain battery.
    Only opening Lisbon and playing live for a few minutes is enough.

I think it’s mining bitcoins in the background for the devs :|

• Pretty odd. I usually use Lisbon as an upper layer in conjunction with Montpelier as a main lead in trance music, have at least 14 tracks going simultaneously, and never had a heating problem with the iPad Pro 12.9” 2017. Battery drain however? Well that’s why I invested $80 in a USB-C-to-lightning cable and a 29v charger. When it comes to my battery, Gadget is like that one corpulent chap what weighs 225 kgs at the buffet. :smirk:

• I was counting on MIDI Link for an iOS Daw. I can't seem to get into a workflow yet. This is my issue:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=132550&sid=19234fba2a4607913b4e7b621467d180